TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Amorphous. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Hamed Khatiz

I Give Up. - January 15th 2014, 03:29 AM

......on ever finding a job again. I just need a break from job hunting (time wasting, being pushed around). Last week, in my second year of job hunting, I made a custom resume and cover letter, made it my best, dressed up, printed it and headed out to a music store in my home city of Parramatta.

Now I had this store in my sights for a good week or so LOL, and I thought I was in with a good chance. When I got there, contrary to what one of the employees said earlier, you had to apply online and not in person. So I had to rip my masterpiece up and throw it in the bin. Charming situation, hey?

So I did, I visited the website and gave a shot at applying online. But when I got there, there was absolutely no Jobs section, no Contact, nothing to be found. So when the manager told me that there was a process on the website to make an application, he was actually lying and trying to get rid of me.

The second time in as many years that someone has lied to me about the availabilities of jobs. I mean come on, two years in a row?

You know they always say go to the manager and apply in person, but really now I realise that's a waste of time to because they are going to send you on the run around.

The company didn't have a whole lot of customers, it wasn't busy or anything, so the guy was just trying to get rid of me. It's just sad when after a year of being rejected, with my need of a job now becoming desperate, to see a company not taking their hiring process seriously.

And you often see people quitting their jobs and leaving because of pay, because of the boss, well I'll pretty much go through any boss and any conditions to finally find something.

Just sucks to see people actively trying to waste my time. I have always been taught that you need to go out there when job hunting, be memorable, but instead I am forced into what it is literally the giant web of applications online.

Never read and not distinguished, I am NEVER going to find a job like that. It is never going to happen, so I just need to give up right now and take a break from being taken for the runaround.

Where are the committed, "good guy" bosses? Are people only committed to the people who can make them a profit out of it? Where is the person that is going to finally give me a chance?

After TWO YEARS, are you serious?

I just need a break, but I also need work and I literally can't afford to be ignored, disregarded, plain shown the hand by people who don't care any further.

I don't want to give up on this but what more can I do? I mean finding work might be a stupid thing to be this committed and passionate about to some people but then again, those people haven't gone looking for a place to run and then nearly collapsed on the way back because of hunger, only to realise you haven't got the money to buy anything to regain conciousness.

I always say it, something's gotta give already but I can't wait THIS long.

“At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place,
But believe that there is much more good in it than bad.
All you have to do is look hard enough,
And what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey.”

~My Childhood Friend.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: I Give Up. - January 15th 2014, 05:26 AM

Hey, Hamed! Two years is an awfully long time, so I can understand your frustration!

First, I have to ask the obvious two questions: how many jobs do you apply for in any given week, and are they entry-level jobs?

You may be shooting yourself in the foot by not applying to enough jobs (or not applying frequently/regularly enough), as positions can open and close throughout the year depending on employers' needs. I needed a job after receiving my undergraduate degree, so I literally spent 40 hours per week applying for jobs. Applying for jobs WAS my full-time job until I was hired.

You may also be shooting yourself in the foot by applying for jobs you're not qualified for (or that many other people are more qualified for). My first job was with a shoe outlet store, and it was a temporary summer job. After two months, the owner asked if I would be willing to continue working for them. I couldn't, because I was moving... but sometimes, those less-than-ideal (entry-level, minimum wage, temporary, "boring," etc.) jobs are what you need to initially apply for, as they may lead to better positions within the same company or with different companies.

Second, I wanted to address something you said:
Quote:
So I did, I visited the website and gave a shot at applying online. But when I got there, there was absolutely no Jobs section, no Contact, nothing to be found. So when the manager told me that there was a process on the website to make an application, he was actually lying and trying to get rid of me.
I wouldn't necessarily assume that the manager was lying or trying to get rid of you. You'd be surprised how many companies have ATROCIOUS websites... ones that barely work, are buggy, have outdated information, etc. Perhaps the manager honestly thought that you had to apply online, and didn't realize that the application system had been removed, or that the website was undergoing maintenance/remodeling, or that the company's hiring policy recently changed. The manager isn't necessarily the store owner... and if it's just one store out of many, then there's a CEO, directors, etc. that all make decisions the manager may not necessarily be aware of. I can see how it would be easy to assume the worst, but please try not to. It'll only serve to demoralize you further, and employers don't want to hire people who have a negative view of their company.

Finally, I already talked about applying for less-than-ideal jobs, but something else you could consider is volunteering with a non-profit organization that hires paid employees from time to time. For example, I'm an intern with a non-profit organization of 500+ paid employees. Unfortunately, I'm not paid... but I know that one intern WAS hired by the company a while back, after "putting in her time." If you have nothing else to do (aside from applying for jobs), then that's something you might want to pursue in your spare time.

Good luck, Hamed! I can understand why you would want to give yourself a short break from job-hunting, but make sure you're productive during that break. Do your research, attend workshops, get some training, volunteer, etc. while you're taking a break. That way, once you're ready to resume your search, you'll be an even stronger candidate than you were before!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: I Give Up. - January 19th 2014, 09:30 PM

It could be standard for them not to accept resumes because then they will be responsible to keep track of the information and ensuring it will be disposed of properly. Also, applying online is pretty standard and I would assume a company requires you to apply online before trying to apply in person.

In general, fill out a minimum of 10 job applications a week if you need a job. View it as putting in your time. The perfect job is not necessarily the job you can start out in. I've put in my time in less than desirable conditions such as private ambulances as an EMT before I became an ER tech, then a few months as a paramedic in a private before becoming a paramedic in an ER. Now I'm going upstairs to be an ICU nurse and the ER wants to cross train me to keep me.

However, I've applied over and over to hospitals and never received a phone call. When I was starting to apply for RN positions, I applied to over 150 applications before getting a call back. Granted, I wasn't graduated at the moment so that could have had some influence.

Closed Thread