TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
JyeScarecrow Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Julian Bandhan

Unhappy Studying on FL :( - January 23rd 2014, 10:38 PM

Hey guys,
umm... i just need a bit of info. I'm currently staying in St.Maarten with my parents. I'm really hoping to study physics and math. That's the thing, those subjects may not be hard for me, but well, my dad has a brother living in Jacksonville, FL. and i was hoping to get into a university there, and apply for a student visa. cause the only other option for me is to go back to Guyana, with my aunt... where it's not so comfortable(i'll just leave it at that). Ik i need to do SAT. but idk where.. it's really killing me here, that, and idk if my family are all gonna help support me financially, since my mom and dad are.. well... not so.. you know... successful. hmm.. ik, i'm dreaming too far here, but.. hmm idk... someone please help?? i need info... and help emotionally, i'm cracking down 700 times over in my head... hmm sorry.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Studying on FL :( - January 24th 2014, 12:58 PM

If you know the uni that you want to go study at, would it be worth sending them a quick email? Generally they'll have an office for student enquiries that should be able to help with looking at visas and entry options.

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Re: Studying on FL :( - January 25th 2014, 10:23 PM

I don't know much about university since i'm still in High School but I would recommend talking to a professional who knows about things like this, like a counselor at your school maybe? I also think it might help to look online at the resources offered by the University that you would like to attend. Like the previous poster said, they usually have an office and resources for students looking for more information on attending there and things like visas and taking the SAT.

Good luck!

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: Studying on FL :( - January 25th 2014, 10:33 PM

The SAT is generally taken at a local high school (sometimes at a university) on select Saturdays throughout the year. You have to register about 1-2 months in advance, and there is a fee to take the test. It is not your only option -- many schools also take the "ACT Plus Writing" test, and consider it equivalent to the SAT. Some schools won't require any test scores, but for the time being, those are few and far between.

If you're planning to enroll for next year, though, now would be the time. Many schools have January deadlines, some have earlier ones than that. So you should look into applying as soon as possible (though test scores are usually necessary to do that).

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

Closed Thread