TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Persuasive Essay: Eradicating Negative Stigmas - January 29th 2014, 10:16 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hey guys!

In English class, one of my assignments is to write a persuasive essay. I have decided to write my essay about why the negative stigma around suicide should be eradicated. I need three strong reasons so I can elaborate in multiple paragraphs about them. I have two so far, one being that the stigma can influence one not to seek out the help that they need. The second reason is that the stigma can drive one further into suicidal thoughts or tendencies.

I'm kind of brain dead as of now. I need another reason, but any reasons or advice for this assignment would be great! I was thinking about mentioning how someone I know was affected by suicide.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Persuasive Essay: Eradicating Negative Stigmas - January 29th 2014, 10:42 PM

One possibility might be to focus on the loved ones (e.g., family members, friends, significant others) who are affected by suicide attempts and/or completions. I recently met a mother who stated that she lies about how her son died, because she hates playing "20 Questions" with people. I imagine she may also be afraid of being labeled as a "bad mother" for not knowing something was wrong, for not getting help for him, and/or for not stopping him.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Persuasive Essay: Eradicating Negative Stigmas - January 29th 2014, 11:44 PM

Thanks for the advice, Robin! This is how it turned out, in case you wanted to see.

Suicide is the terrifying act in which someone intentionally takes their own life. Those who have suicidal tendencies are normally perceived as sporadic and unkempt as well as ungrateful people. However, that most often is not the case. Due to negative stigmas attached to mental health, people who genuinely need the help are afraid to reach out and ask for it. Ultimately, stigmas have the power to drive an individual even closer to suicide than they were before. In this paper, I am going to discuss why negative stigmas towards suicide need to be eradicated.

In the amount of time it takes for me to complete this assignment, about 8 people will have committed suicide. On average, one person commits suicide every 16.2 minutes. That’s about 300,000 people a year; and 300,000 too many. Suicide is something that is 100% preventable with the right help and treatment. Reaching out to someone and asking for help is already a challenge, but negative stigmas add fuel to the fire. Suffers are likely to become frightful of what someone will think, thus, going back into their shell of isolation and utter despair. Suffers tend to think that they are ridiculous for having the thoughts that they do when that most certainly isn’t the case. People who struggle with suicidal tendencies are only human and have underlying issues that need to be solved just like everyone has a few issues along the highway of life.

As a result of stigmas decreasing the ability to receive help, people are left to cope by themselves. In addition, negative stigmas can drive someone even closer to suicide. People who are suicidal are at an extremely fragile and dangerous place. In fact, almost all the time, people bottle their emotions up. Once this happens, there is usually one small thing such as a comment about suicide that upsets them that can lead to suicide completion on impulse.

In continuation, suicide deeply affects an average of six people immediately after a death. Someone I know lost someone else due to suicide. This person thinks about what he could have said or done to help on a daily basis. Moreover, someone who I am extremely close to attempted suicide and hearing that news was very upsetting. It was incredibly unsettling to know that someone who means the world to me felt that way and tried to leave this earth. Suicide affects virtually everyone who knew that person and there is often little to no closure in that event.

Something that seems small can have a rather large impact on ample people. Negative stigmas towards suicide need to be eradicated so people can reach out and receive the help that they truly deserve to lead better lives. People who struggle with suicidal tendencies are not sporadic and unkempt; they are people who need help solving underlying problems in their lives. There isn’t a stigma for receiving treatment for a broken leg, so why should there be a negative stigma associated with receiving help for suicidal tendencies?

1941-2016

They whispered to her
she whispered back
i am the storm.

6 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Persuasive Essay: Eradicating Negative Stigmas - February 2nd 2014, 12:07 AM

For those of you who liked my post, I got a 100% on that essay.

1941-2016

They whispered to her
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Its.Just.Angie Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Angie

Re: Persuasive Essay: Eradicating Negative Stigmas - February 2nd 2014, 04:10 AM

Good job!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Persuasive Essay: Eradicating Negative Stigmas - February 3rd 2014, 08:02 PM

Congratulations! =)

Since the issue has been resolved, I'm going to close your thread. Feel free to create a new thread if a new issue arises, or PM me if you would like to have this thread re-opened in the future!

Closed Thread