TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CrystalJade Offline
Junior TeenHelper

I have no idea what I want to do anymore... - February 13th 2014, 05:04 AM

I love studying the developing fetus and I was going to pursue a sonography degree but I'm no longer interested in that degree. I'm pretty good at punnett squares and I like genetics so I was considering genetics counsoling but I don't have a school that offers it near me... I've basically always envisioned myself working in a hospital with the babies after they are born. I also like current events and politics and get heated and I love debates.

I honestly don't know what I want to do though and I don't know the possibilites out there.. Do you know any that you think I should check out? I'm not wanting to spend forever in school and I want a job with a good outlook that pays fairly well if not great.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Usernames Suck Offline
Average Joe

Re: I have no idea what I want to do anymore... - February 15th 2014, 02:07 AM

Are you getting a degree yet?

If not, maybe you should consider the following things:

a) Which of these interests of yours is the strongest? What wouldn't you mind doing every day? For example, you may think babies are cute but find it stressful to deal with them every single day or you may enjoy debating but not necessarily want to become a political commentator.

b) What kind of lifestyle do you want to have in the future? How much financial stability would you ideally have and what income range? Would you prefer having the same schedule every day for as long as you worked a certain job or having a schedule that changed?

c) What are your strengths and weaknesses? Would you be good at communicating and connecting with people in pain? Are you good at thinking outside the box? Are you good at organising people or do you do your best when you're doing creative work by yourself? Thinks like that, consider what kind of work you're most suited to.

Then do a lot of research on what each of these jobs entails. Enjoying debate is a bit vague because with that interest there's a lot you could do: become a lawyer, become a political columnist or journalist, do activism of some kind, stuff like that. Learn about these jobs as much as you can, not just the good side but also the downsides. If you're still determined to try doing something even when you've read about the obstacles people in a certain job face and about the worst parts of it, then that might help you rule out which kind of work you would or wouldn't want to do.

For example: a member of medical staff and especially one who was a nurse or nurse's aid would have very demanding, fluctuating schedules with long shifts, sometimes for less pay than you deserve. You'll be on your feet for hours on end and can face stressful situations as well as needing to communicate with patients. If you choose to be a researcher, you'll also be dependent on the more academic side of things where you'll often have to produce papers for your colleagues to read, apply to grants, etc. If you became a journalist you'd often have to take unpaid internships or low-paying freelancing jobs before you could break out into the best part of it.

Likewise, consider what you'd have to study for each one and what you'd do best in. That's not to say you should be discouraged if what you love requires a lot of studying. What I AM saying is that people have different strengths and different tolerance for certain things. For example, if you wanted to work with newborn babies as a nurse or nurse's aid you'd likely have to study other specialties as well while in school, same with journalism or something of the kind. It'll be easier to stick with the least fun parts of a degree if you're passionate about what you're doing.

Reading your post really made me think of Medicine, have you considered that? It would likely give you the option to work with fetal development, newborn babies and also possibly go into genetics research if that's something you're very interested in (not all doctors work in hospitals dealing with patients at least not all of the time, some get to do medical research too), plus if you wanted to be a good doctor you'd have to be a good communicator and be able to stay updated on important events and developments.

I hope this helps.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Spiderpig Offline
Gone forever
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I have no idea what I want to do anymore... - February 15th 2014, 12:26 PM

There are so many wonderful opportunities out in the business field, and if you can find an alternative and enjoy it, work won't seem to feel like work at all. There was a time when I wanted to become a doctor, but the amount of study would have meant my moving away from home and family and having zero social life. Instead, I pursued a career in horticulture and farming in crops and having a smallholding; maybe not so much of a smallholding in my parents owning a farm of over 200 acres, but still.... I am doing a home study course for a degree in horticulture and couldn't be happier.

I couldn't better the previous member's post, but you must priortize on exactly what you want. I am sure that you will eventually settle on something really worthwhile.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: I have no idea what I want to do anymore... - February 18th 2014, 07:17 AM

You can always start off with a generic search and start exploring career options based on job descriptions, educational requirements, salary ranges, etc. For example, when I was in high school, I discovered that I liked psychology. Of course, "psychology" is a pretty broad field... so I started searching for career options that relied on knowledge of psychology. There are clinical psychology careers (e.g., therapists, counselors, psychologists), there are research/experimental psychology careers (e.g., academic professors and research assistants), behavioral psychology careers (e.g., applied behavioral analysts), industrial/organizational psychology careers (e.g., human resources, marketing), and so on.

Based on what you've shared with us, you can start looking for career options within medical, legal, and political fields. Some may be appealing to you, while others may not be. There are MANY different career paths, so start looking now! Once you've found several that are appealing to you, start thinking about what you're willing to commit to. How much time do you want to spend in school? You may not need a degree for certain jobs, or you may need an advanced degree that could take several years to earn. What are the pros and cons for the careers you're interested in? As another member already stated, EVERY job has its pros and cons, and you need to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of each career. Some people are willing to deal with boring jobs or long hours in order to earn a large amount of money, while other people are willing to settle for less in order to have a job with tons of flexibility or fewer stressors.

Once you've narrowed down your selection even further (let's say 3-4), start contacting people who have those jobs and interview them! You can learn so much from interviews, and it can give you a much-needed "reality check" before you decide to start investing time and energy into a career path. For example, meeting with mental health professionals helped me realize that I would probably have to settle for unpaid internships for a period of time, even after earning my Master's degree. Knowing what I was getting myself in to helped me make an educated decision while applying to graduate schools.

Finally, I want to comment on some of the statements you made in your post. Just because you like something at a very simple/basic level doesn't necessarily mean you'll like it once you take advanced courses. For example, geneticists don't spend their time playing around with Punnett squares. That's "child's play." You'll be dealing with advanced math and science concepts. Again, be thorough while researching the various career paths. Find out what you would need to do in order to be eligible for the kinds of jobs you would want. Interview people who obtained the kinds of careers you're interested in so you're fully aware of what you'd need to accomplish before you could be hired.

Closed Thread