TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Mr_Awesome Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: John Smith

Any Professional Singers Here? - February 15th 2014, 01:49 PM

I've been singing since the age of three. I am 14 (male) and want to get my career started. The only thing that prevents me from physically performing on stage, Is that they (the audience) would criticize the way I speak, the way I act, and how I sing! I have a huge lack of confidence because of my sexuality...I usually ignore it but it seems to be nagging me more than normal...Also I feel like after I find confidence in the craft and in myself I would have to find a vocal coach and start to perform. How do I gain the confidence to have the ability to sing and have stage presence ? How can I prepare myself for anything in the world of entertainment? How to convince or otherwise tell you parents of your successes or future plans? Should I set such high standards? If so, how do I achieve them?

Sincerely, Mr_Awesome X0X0X0

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Any Professional Singers Here? - February 17th 2014, 11:16 AM

Heya Mr_Awesome

Not a professional singer, but have known a few of them, done various things, and taught music in the past as well.

A vocal coach would help, full stop. Both with the singing, and the stage presence, and the confidence. I'm sure you're good, but you can always get better with professional help (a lot of technique, as well as things like song choice and staging stuff).

Blunt question - how the hell will people know your sexuality on stage? Also, does it really matter? If you can sing/dance/act, then that's what they'll be cheering on. If you can't, that's what they'll be jeering. Get up there and give it your all, and you won't run into problems.

Preparation - are there vocal/arts/theatre schools near you? They can be good places to start. Otherwise amateur groups, musicals, shows, things like that are a great place to practice and gain confidence.

Parents - Make it clear to them that this is your goal. Before you talk to them plan out the next few steps - where will you train, how will you pay for it, what will you do in the meantime, backup plans if it doesn't work etc.

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
hottie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

February 17th 2014, 05:23 PM

not a proffessional singer, but i am the sisth cousin of elvis presley and i am also a professional writer. so far only published once but just landed a deal with a major publishing company

as for ur insecurities-those are ur strengths, wheather u know it or not.
i had the same insecurities once but now my identity as a gay man is where my material comes from. it is a product of my rage at society for making me accept second-class citizenship and for dehumanizing me. and it shows in my writing. i let my readers know who i am and how angry i am and why i am angry. those who will listen will spread the word and u will make a positive impact through them. those who would criticize you for who u are are standing in ur way and there are others like us and they will be trampled under our collective weight. if they know what is good for them, they will get out of our way, otherwise they will fall.

Last edited by PSY; February 18th 2014 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Any Professional Singers Here? - February 17th 2014, 05:48 PM

Hey there,

I wouldn't call myself a professional singer but I did used to have vocal lessons in the past. In my experience Mahray is right, the vocal coaching helps with your singing as well as aiding your stage presence so it'd be useful to find one as soon as possible.

Also, look into groups around your area. They don't just have to be vocal or theatre groups, other groups could also help with your confidence such as debating groups or even martial arts has been known to increase people's confidence.

You're always going to find somebody who'll criticise something you do. The trick is to listen to constructive criticism and improve yourself based on that but ignore any hateful, nonconstructive criticism. It is easier said than done but with practise you'll get better at ignoring other people's insignificant opinions of you.

As for wanting to be a successful professional singer you have to really want it and seize every opportunity that presents itself to you. I would also advise having a back up plan as well and don't leave education too early to go chasing this dream. I'm sure you know it's incredibly difficult to get into the music industry even if you're a fantastic singer you need to ensure you're in the right place at the right time so luck plays a part too.

I hope this helped, good luck with everything!

Closed Thread