TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Luke.J Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Luke

Exams and Careers - February 24th 2014, 11:27 PM

Hi,
I'm having trouble with my future and current college exams.
I am in my final year of college I have around 5 months left.
Basically last year we had exams in January and June, but now we only have exams in June and I am taking 9 exams, and I just don't feel motivated to do any work becuase its my only chance and there's no point of doing anything becuase if I fail I have nothing left as I can't retake the exams. Whereas last year I felt more motiavted becuase I could get the exam out the way in January and re take in June in needed. I don't feel like its realistic to only have one shot at these exams, the most important exams I need to get into uni becuase in life you always have second chances, in medical and workplace exams you can always re take at least once if you fail, in the legal system if you commit one crime you're not sent straight to jail you get changes and warnings and other punishments. In medicine when you're seriously hurt, you don't just die you fight and you have a chance for medical science to save you. I just don't see the point in trying becuase if I fail I can't get into uni and I won't have anything left.

Also in regards to University, I am applying for a nursing course but I am studying accounts, maths and business studies as I orginally wanted to become an accountant but did some work experience and didn't like it too much and so I decided to become a nurse, so I applied to University as you have to and I have been rejected by 3/5 of my choices and now I'm thinking I've made the wrong choice as universities don't want me and I have no experience of the career and I might not like it, it is an impossible choice to make at such a young age what career you want for the rest of your like especially when you have no proper experience of them. I now feel like since I have applied to uni I can't really go back, but I think I would enjoy and be good at being a nurse but all the rejections are starting to knock my confidence, but none of that matters if I don't get the results I need.

I don't know what I'm asking for I think I just more needed to tell people more than anything,
Thankyou

Joined 26/05/12

Associate Live Help Operator - 4/06/12

Associate helpLINK Mentor - 10/06/12

If you need anything please feel free to message me and I will do my best to help you

Luke

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SpecterH Offline
Average Joe

Name: Harvey S.

Re: Exams and Careers - February 24th 2014, 11:54 PM

You're in the middle of a very stressful time. Exams and university applications can be very stressful and sometime things might not go the way you wanted them to go - and that's okay. Like you said, there are always other opportunities in life.

With regards to your exams, I understand that you're frustrated because you only have one opportunity to write your exams. I understand that this might feel overwhelming for you because it is different to what you're used to. However, in university, you will likely only have one opportunity to write your exams. I'm a university student in Canada, and I have never seen any professor or university allow students to re-take exams if they did poorly. If you receive a poor grade, you learn from it and move on. That's how the real world is, and I feel like it is a luxury if you had the opportunity to re-write your exams in the past.

That being said, doing well on these exams is not impossible at all. You have about five months to really get motivated and study for these exams. I am a firm believer that hard work is directly correlated to decent grades, and therefore, if you put in a little bit of work at a time, I am confident that you can excel in your exams. If there is a particular subject that you're struggling with, seek help from a teacher, friend, tutor, or someone else who is experienced in the subject area and can help you understand it better.

At the end of the day, this is what the real world is going to look like. You're going to experience all types of stress, and usually, you don't have the opportunity to re-do things when you fail. Therefore, it's imperative to put your everything into all that you do - the first time. I am confident that, with hard work and dedication, you can do better than you think on your exams.

With regards to your university rejections, I know those are difficult to deal with but those, too, are a part of life. University admissions are very competitive for most schools because they want to limit their intake of students to ensure the quality of learning is maintained. If you don't get accepted into any of your universities this year, don't worry about it. I know it will be discouraging but, a lot of students have been there and have gone on to do great things. There is no limit to when you can apply to university. Therefore, if you don't get accepted anywhere this year, maybe next year, you can apply to more schools, which will increase your chances of being accepted. In the mean time, you could gain work experience, which will provide you with quality experience and money to help you fund your university career.

It's important to remember that there is no one route in life. There may seem like there is one route to success and any route that deviates from that route is wrong, but that's not the case. All of the most successful people in the world have taken very odd and unique routes to get to where they are today and I firmly believe that has played a major contribution to where they are today.

My advice is simple: study and work hard. Even if it doesn't seem fair to you, and even if seems pointless - study and work hard. You seem to be an intelligent person and with hard work and dedication, you will get to where you want to be. Re: nursing vs. business, that's a tough call and it's a decision only you can make. But don't let five university rejections (if you don't get into the other universities) determine your career. If you want to be a nurse, keep going for it until you get accepted by a university somewhere. A lot of students are forced to seek education in another country because of the high standards for their particular discipline in their home country. If you want to be a nurse, don't let anything stop you. Work hard until you get it.

Good luck.

Harvey Specter
Don't play the odds, play the man.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Exams and Careers - March 3rd 2014, 10:18 PM

I'm in agreement with what the previous user said about "second chances." You mentioned a lot of "real world" examples where "second chances" are possible; however, in the grand scheme of things, you can only count on getting one chance. For example, in the "real world," you'll only have one chance to interview for a job you want (unless applications open up in the future, which you can't always count on happening). It's unrealistic to ask potential employers for a second interview because you had the option of retaking exams in college. They'll think you're being childish... and I'm sorry if this sounds blunt, but it IS a bit childish to count on getting "second chances" for everything in life.

Have you ever heard the phrase, "there's no point in crying over spilled milk"? You're going to make mistakes in life, and some will be bigger than others. You won't be able to correct all of those mistakes, and you can't give up when faced with the possibility of only having one chance to do something well. What you WILL be able to do is LEARN from those mistakes, and become a stronger, more capable person as a result. You can apply this mindset to other areas of your life as well. For example, with relationships, you can't always assume you'll get "second chances," especially if you do something that many people would consider "unforgivable" (such as cheating on your partner). You'll approach situations with more caution, and spend more time preparing yourself for those situations, if you function under the mindset that you'll probably only get one chance to do something well.

On another note, my fiancé and a few of my friends are registered nurses. None of them had related experience prior to applying for their programs. I know things work differently in your country, but every college/university has different standards for prospective students. You may need to get some more volunteer experience under your belt before the more prestigious colleges/universities will accept you, or you may need to lower the bar a bit and apply for colleges/universities with slightly lower standards for prospective students. It might not be a bad idea for you to interview nurses in your area, ones who graduated from college/university within the past 5 or so years. Ask them what they did to prepare for college/university nursing programs. Don't lose hope! I know it looks daunting, but again, that's part of getting used to the "real world." Rejections and disappointments are going to become a part of your "adult life" - you don't have to let those rejections and disappointments weigh you down, though!

Closed Thread