TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Driving tips? - March 7th 2014, 12:25 AM

I put this here because this is for class, although it is driver's ED.

We live in a private area so I'm able to practice driving up and down the street, never by any other cars. Tonight, for class, I was taken out in the car. I drove second and it was pitch black, a major highway and a car that I wasn't used to. My teacher told me that I need to work on changing lanes with ease, targeting, and a few other things.

He was able to call me out on my anxiety and I was honestly pretty embarrassed about that.. I don't know.

Anyway, I'll be back in the car tomorrow and I was just wondering if you had any tips? Anything at all.. would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a little nervous about it.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Its.Just.Angie Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Angie

Re: Driving tips? - March 7th 2014, 01:31 AM

hey there,

I remember I first drivin... And I was a wreck so it's COMPLETLY normal to be nervous... I could go on and on about my stupidity while driving :P I ran over a cat In the drivers ed :P and I ran into a snow bank COUNTLESS times and I almost hit a mail box... And I have swerve pretty badly so trust me it's normal to mess up you first time driving...m

One thing is to try to stay calm.. Nothing is going to happen because the driver person won't let you crash..they should have the break thingy. And they used that A LOT on me they tell you when it is safe to go.. They will NEVER put you out in danger! one thing is just pay attention to the road.. It helps if you pay attention and don't be afraid to mess up they are actually expecting that.. Because you are there to learn.. Sitting in a classroom with the rules teaches you NOTHING. you have to experice it in order to learn it

As hard is to say as long as you don't panic or anything you will be fine They will understand you are not used to they roads on a highway and stuff. If you panic that's worst when it comes to driving

If you have any further question you can always PM me hope it goes better for you

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Driving tips? - March 7th 2014, 11:57 AM

Practice, practice, and more practice. At all times, in all weathers, on all sorts of roads!! Seriously, I look at my driving skills now and when they first gave me my licence, and... I'm amazed I survived xd

When you're in an instructor car with dual pedals? You're pretty damn safe. As Angie said though, you need to be really focussed. But practice when you're not focussed, coz at some point you'll end up driving tired, or upset, or anything.

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Driving tips? - March 7th 2014, 01:35 PM

Yeah, we have dual pedals; he had to use it on me! Thanks for your advice! I'll definitely get more practice in! I'll practice before class today, too.

1941-2016

They whispered to her
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Driving tips? - March 9th 2014, 08:19 PM

I have a hard time relaxing to anxiety behind the wheel. I was always the over confident one who'd do something stupid and literally blow it off as "well nothing bad happened, so what?". But really, whether you're over confident, anxious etc. it's common with new drivers to have the "wrong" mindset and that can affect your driving, so you need to be called on it. I wouldn't sweat it, trust me, he's doing it to everyone. The attitude in which you enter the car is so important because being arrogant OR insecure can be very dangerous while driving, especially if things got out of hand. I know it's hard not to feel flustered or annoyed by being told that you're personality/behaviour is something you need to focus on, but it's just something to keep in mind. It'll balance out as you drive more often though, driving a car will eventually be like brushing your teeth or cooking eggs, its just something you do with out worrying about how to do it.

A lot of what comes with driving is just by doing it, eventually it "just happens", and you don't even think about it any more. I look back at how I used to drive and it's pretty much a miracle that my license wasn't revoked on the grounds of being reckless, overly aggressive or for speeding, or what ever you wanted to get me for, so there's little things like that which just smooth out over time.

Drivers ed is good because a lot of parents totally lose their cool while teaching their children how to drive, so keep it up. It beats being screamed at by mom because "omg why the fuck are you driving 15 KM over the speed limit, slow the fuck down", while you're being like "shut up, it was 12 KM and I was going that fast for like a millasecond so calm the fuck down".... It's just a lot more stressful being in the car with mom or dad, so I'd take all the practice you can with someone else while you can get it.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Re: Driving tips? - March 10th 2014, 12:26 AM

Hey Cassie,

I remember when I first started driving, changing lanes terrified me. It is kind of a hard task for beginner drivers, but like I've said before, you'll get the hang of it. When you are changing lanes, I like to think of it as 3 easy steps:

1)Look at your rear-view mirror and see if you can see the headlights and the license plate of the car behind you. If you can, it means you are a good distance far away from the car behind you.

2) Check your blind spot. Many accidents can occur if you don't check the blind spots when changing lanes, so be sure there isn't a car too close to you in the next lane. To check blind spots, simply turn on your blinker and turn your head in the same direction while accelerating and driving straight ahead. It's basically just a quick glance. If all is clear, slowly follow the road into the next lane.

3) Always watch the yellow line and the road ahead of you when you are driving.

But yeah, you'll get used to it over time. Drive out and practice more. You could try lane changing in an area where there isn't very many cars. I remember when I got my permit, I used to drive around my school's parking lot over the weekends, practicing parking and lane changing as I drove from home to school.

I hope this helps and good luck!

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

(#7 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Driving tips? - March 11th 2014, 03:45 AM

Thanks for your replies! I passed my test.

1941-2016

They whispered to her
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Laurasaurus Offline
Learning to Fly
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Driving tips? - March 11th 2014, 05:22 AM

Hey there, Cassie. Congratulations on passing your test! I just thought I'd add my two cents. When my mother first took me out to drive, it was in a parking lot. I slowly moved up to VERY unpopulated dirt roads, and then I finally drove on the actual streets with cars and such. I'd definitely say to practice (like everybody else has), but practice on more than your own street where there are no cars. Practice on the busier streets and the highway with your parents so you get more practice around other people.

1/7/12 - Live Help Operator | 1/25/14 - HelpLINK Mentor | 6/8/14 - Depression and Suicide Forum Moderator | 6/8/14 - Addictive Behaviors Forum Moderator | 1/11/14 - Videos Team Member | 4/11/15 - Senior Live Help Operator

I will be generous with my love today. I will sprinkle compliments and uplifting words everywhere I go. I will do this knowing that my words are like seeds and when they fall on fertile soil, a reflection of those seeds will grow into something greater.

PM / VM

Closed Thread