TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SnowedIn Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Studying in the USA? - March 14th 2014, 11:57 PM

I currently live in Ireland, but I'm hoping to emigrate to the US. I feel it'd be beneficial to study there, quite frankly I want to leave this country as fast as I can too. However, it seems so expensive and it's difficult to find sites that don't just offer vague information about the process and cost of it. Does anyone have anything that could help?

"They dreamed of nothing and got nothing in return".

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Studying in the USA? - March 15th 2014, 06:06 PM

Hey there!

Firstly, good job getting out of here, there'll be nothing left in this country for the young and optimistic quite soon. I'm probably as proud an Irishman as you'll find and even I say 'tis your best bet to jump ship.

Studying in the USA is, indeed, quite expensive. You might want to look at scholarships and grants, and the Fulbright Awards would be a decent place to start, but you could probably get more information from going to individual university websites and looking at sections on student finance or scholarships. Most universities also provide information for international students, and, if they have an officer for international students wishing to study at their university, it might be worth your while to contact them for more details.

Best of luck, and congrats for broadening your horizons beyond UL and LIT in a way I fail to.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Catharsis. 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Studying in the USA? - March 15th 2014, 10:19 PM

Really? There's nothing left in this country? People are so dramatic. It depends on what you make of it. What do you want to study? Do you have a specific field you want to study? I would look into what part of the country you would want to move to and find what careers are prominent there.

I do not recommend studying something like English, fine arts, liberal arts, etc. IT is good for some parts of the country. Healthcare is big now but there is a lot of up in the air arguments with jobs as hospitals are trying to cut back.

The bigger the school the more likely they have scholarships. They may also be actively recruiting foreign student like Ohio State was. I would make a list of 10 to 15 universities you would like to attend and find out the requirements.

Also, US school systems require a "diverse" study where you have to take a bunch of meaningless classes for a degree.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
SnowedIn Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Studying in the USA? - March 16th 2014, 12:05 AM

Catharsis, too right, haha, really can't wait to get out of this country in general, can't say I really like any part of it. Thanks for your input also~

Sarasa, there will be opportunities here but mostly in low level sectors with poor pay and what not. Really though, I just want to leave the country because I straight up do not like it here. I'm not sure what I want to study and that seems to be a huge problem to me right now because I just don't know where I want to go. I was looking into IT because that seems like it's booming and will be for a while but it seems rather daunting, still, better than other choices, I guess. Thank you for your input~

"They dreamed of nothing and got nothing in return".

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Studying in the USA? - March 17th 2014, 02:49 PM

Sorry, I was making the comment about wanting to leave the USA and saying there are no opportunities. There are opportunities but it isn't something that is just handed to people. To get ahead in the USA, it requires many different talents, achievements, and abilities.

I went to a community college and received an associate degree for nursing. I am now working full-time in an ICU and will graduate with my bachelors this December. I had both ERs and ICUs that wanted me to work for them before I graduated because of my background in the fire department, a paramedic in an ER, and experience in the private ambulance sector. After two years, I plan on going back for my masters in order to become a CNM and then continue on to become either a family NP or a women's health NP.

My boyfriend doesn't have a college degree but because he went into the military, he makes 80,000-90,000 now working at a power plant. He'll actually break 100,000 if they continue doing what they are doing this year.

Ultimately, there are opportunities here in the USA but it requires people to have an idea of what they want and to be realistic. Getting a degree to get a degree with no end goal in sight is not helpful. A lot of my friends who graduated with general fine arts degrees are in the same rut.

Now, the cost of getting a degree will vary. We have "public" and "private" schools. Many public schools are well-respected and sometimes even better than private schools plus they are cheaper. The main state schools like Ohio State are well-known. The larger the school, the more degrees and flexibility they usually offer in terms of what they want. However, the bigger the public university is the more expensive it is usually. There will always be exceptions. Then there are university systems where they have campuses that are farther away from the main campus like Ohio State has several branch campuses and University of Michigan has at least a Dearborn campus.

Closed Thread