TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
2Snowflake2 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Feel like giving up. My life is wasted. - April 2nd 2014, 01:15 PM

Life is so hard for me right now, has been for as long as I can remember.

At the moment I'm in a part-time job, contracted 8 hours doing 12 hours a week. Which in my opinion for someone my age 22 is shit. It's nothing.
So of course I have been looking for more work, full-time even part-time so I can keep this job and do another. But there is nothing out there. When a job pops up I quickly apply for it, only to hear nothing back or "unsuccessful" Story of my life right now unsuccessful. I'm fed up, I have been trying for months.

There was this free IT course which I signed up for, filled out an enrollment form, sent it off. Didn't hear back until nearly two weeks later, when they where suppose to ring me in 5 working days. I got a miscall from them Yesterday morning so I rang them back about an hour ago (Was working all day when they rang me) just to hear that, "Unfortunately the course is now full. Oh forgot to say with this free course. I did ring them when the 5 working days was up to ask them what was going on I haven't heard back. So the woman went through all the questions you have to ask to make sure I'm right for the course and that I understand how to use Microsoft office (Word, Publisher, Powerpoint and Excel) I'm great with Word and the rest but Excel I'm shit at as I never use it. So the woman on the phone said for me to practice using Excel and that she would ring me on Wednesday (Today) in the evening. Well there no point in ringing me now as the course is full.

For Fuck sake you know. I can't even get into a free course let alone a full time job.

What annoys me the most is when people say, "Oh atleast you got a job" I don't have a bloody job it's just 3 days a week for hours a day. All the money goes on driving lessons. Oh and when I do finally pass I won't be able to afford a car anyway.

I look at other people my age and they have full time jobs, moved out, driving even some have kids (which I'm not bothered about I don't want kids anyway) My life is going anywhere it's being wasted. I've been to college passed the course only to end up no where. I do like the job I'm at but they don't give me enough hours. It was hard for me to get this part time job, harder to keep it as they say I'm not good enough, if I don't improve then I will be fired.

I'm down right now as you can tell. Feel like shit, I have been holding it all in but that phone call today made everything spill out, the final straw. I just feel like giving up, not to bother to spend hours filling out shitty application forms for jobs I don't even want just to get back (If I'm lucky to hear back) "Unsuccessful" I'm trying to find something I'm good at but I can't seem to find anything. I'm not good at anything I do.
All the negativity is spilling out I should stop now. Sorry for the long post. Thanks for reading if you managed to get this far as I understand the post is tiredly long.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
maer995 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Maria

Re: Feel like giving up. My life is wasted. - April 2nd 2014, 08:48 PM

well at least this time you spent writing something that will come a little more useful to you than an application! days like this are normal, I guess particularly at your age when you want to get somewhere but you cant.. you're too old to be in school and have dreams but you're too young to find a proper job and start living you're life properly.

basically you're 22, you are making me think of this song from the BLINK182, it's called "what's my age again"

that was going off topic sorry.. going back to your problem.. why don't you talk to your boss an explain that if only you got some more hours you'd be much more motivated and it would improve the quality of your work? I mean its worth a shot explain how important this job is for you and how much you need it. try to be positive as you say it's only 12 hours a week, make them good I mean I don't know what you do but smile when you go into the office be nice to everyone.. don't complain and try to be the best you can!

if you want to keep yourself busy volunteer! search online there's so much stuff you can do that will keep you busy, feel better about yourself and it's something you can put on your cv!

good luck and don't give up, there's always a light at the end of the tunnel
message me if you need anything

(#3 (permalink)) Old
2Snowflake2 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Feel like giving up. My life is wasted. - April 2nd 2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maer995 View Post
well at least this time you spent writing something that will come a little more useful to you than an application! days like this are normal, I guess particularly at your age when you want to get somewhere but you cant.. you're too old to be in school and have dreams but you're too young to find a proper job and start living you're life properly.

basically you're 22, you are making me think of this song from the BLINK182, it's called "what's my age again"

that was going off topic sorry.. going back to your problem.. why don't you talk to your boss an explain that if only you got some more hours you'd be much more motivated and it would improve the quality of your work? I mean its worth a shot explain how important this job is for you and how much you need it. try to be positive as you say it's only 12 hours a week, make them good I mean I don't know what you do but smile when you go into the office be nice to everyone.. don't complain and try to be the best you can!

if you want to keep yourself busy volunteer! search online there's so much stuff you can do that will keep you busy, feel better about yourself and it's something you can put on your cv!

good luck and don't give up, there's always a light at the end of the tunnel
message me if you need anything
Cheers. I might listen to the song, haven't heard it before.

I work in retail having to talk face to face with customers. Have to offer them things, give advice, the usual customer service. I'm not a confident person, very shy however since I have started working in retail my confidence has improved. I have improved but I don't think my manager sees the improvement. I have asked her for extra hours but the company is on a budget or something so she can't give me anymore hours. I only get more hours if someone is on holiday which is rare. My manager is the type of person who speaks there mind, she never holds back she will say what she is thinking. And she has said some horrid things to me in the past about me not being good at customer service, she made me cry at one point. Because of this I find it hard to talk to her now.
I have volunteered in between getting paid work. I have actually been thinking about going back to one place where I use to volunteer but it's been over a year now, they probable won't even remember me. Even though the guy said he would like me to come back once I've got a job sorted out. I just don't want to go back there to have to leave it again if eventually I do actually get full time work. I feel nervous ringing them after so long, they may not need me anymore or totally forgotten me, I was only there for a few months.

Thanks again for the reply

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Moyshi Offline
i am jack's smirking revenge
I've been here a while

Re: Feel like giving up. My life is wasted. - April 5th 2014, 09:17 PM

Hey there,

I wanted to leave a post here because I find myself in a very similar situation and I completely understand how frustrating and down it can make you feel! I found that a lot of my friends and peers were able to land great jobs right out of school, whereas it wasn't as easy for me. Honestly though, it's better if you stop trying to compare yourself with others. It's not a race, and things will happen for you in your own time, you know? I also found that the different career paths my friends/peers were going into were a lot easier to enter into at an entry level, in comparison to my field of work. I was comparing myself to them but it wasn't even a fair comparison! As for feeling behind in life experiences like moving out and other things like that, it'll happen eventually. (And hey, if you're still living at home you're probably saving so much more money than if you had moved out...which is definitely a positive!)

I'm sorry to hear that you weren't able to make it into the courses. But I think it's great that you put yourself out there and you're making an effort. It can be a real defeating feeling to be rejected from anything, whether it's from a course or a job offer, etc. It's normal to feel that way. I try to get myself into a mindset where I allow myself to feel that disappointment for a day, but then I move on, because I found that staying upset about something I didn't get didn't help me in the long run. You just learn from these situations and keep on going.

Even when you feel like giving up on the job search because it's so exhausting and tedious, I think you just have to remember...if you don't put yourself out there, places you can potentially work at won't even know you're looking. The job search is very much 50% up to you, and 50% out of your hands (up to potential employers). As long as you keep putting in the effort to hand out resumes or fill in applications, you're doing what you can.

And like the other user posted, I definitely recommend volunteering for extra experience while you have the time. You could contact where you used to volunteer or find somewhere new to get a different experience. Whatever you're comfortable with. If you're worried about maybe having to leave, try to find volunteer opportunities that don't ask for a long term commitment. If you know what career field you're going into, try looking for something in it! Connections can go a long way when it comes to getting hired.

Anyways, I hope this post helped a bit. I just wanted to let you know you're not the only one struggling to feel like a "successful adult". You have so many years ahead of you, and so many opportunities that will come your way...your life isn't wasted! Just try and find a positive spin on the work you're doing right now and continue to keep putting yourself out there. Things will change for you, even if it doesn't feel like they will right now.

Keep your head up!
Take care. :]

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
2Snowflake2 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Feel like giving up. My life is wasted. - April 8th 2014, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the replies, made me feel better.
Things have changed for me in the last couple of days. I've got a job interview at McDonalds. Don't want to work there, applied for it when I was really down, didn't expect to hear back. Anyway I will go to the interview because If I don't I might regret it, considering all the other jobs I applied for I never actually heard back.

However today I got a call from a job I applied for yesterday wanting a chat. However there one BIG problem with this job. My current job say's I'm not aloud to work in retail while I work for my current company. My current and this job are both part-time so it would be great as I can do both jobs which is what I want. I want to keep my current job. If I end up quitting my current for this new job and I'm not good enough so they get rid of me, then I will be jobless. Ahh so annoying.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Moyshi Offline
i am jack's smirking revenge
I've been here a while

Re: Feel like giving up. My life is wasted. - April 9th 2014, 06:03 PM

Hey there,

It's great that you've been contacted for two different interviews! I suggest doing the interviews for both (even if you're not sure you would take the job). You'll be getting more interview experience and if you do get offered the position you can then think it through whether of not you're able to/want to take the position.

As for your current work not allowing you to work in retail, I would go talk to a manager/supervisor and explain your situation. Your workplace may not be super strict on enforcing a rule like that, so it's worth a shot to try and see.

Good luck with your interviews!

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
2Snowflake2 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Feel like giving up. My life is wasted. - April 9th 2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyshi239 View Post
Hey there,

It's great that you've been contacted for two different interviews! I suggest doing the interviews for both (even if you're not sure you would take the job). You'll be getting more interview experience and if you do get offered the position you can then think it through whether of not you're able to/want to take the position.

As for your current work not allowing you to work in retail, I would go talk to a manager/supervisor and explain your situation. Your workplace may not be super strict on enforcing a rule like that, so it's worth a shot to try and see.

Good luck with your interviews!
Cheers. I will talk to my manager and hopefully she will be ok with me taking this other retail job if they offer me the position. *Fingers Crossed*

(#8 (permalink)) Old
2Snowflake2 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Feel like giving up. My life is wasted. - April 11th 2014, 08:19 PM

Everything is now sorted. I've managed to bag myself another job. Yay. Just have to try and keep it now.
Thanks everyone for the support.

Closed Thread