TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

How do you revise? - April 10th 2014, 04:28 PM

I just made a powerpoint for myself on AS Psychology. I made it colourful and added in some pictures to help me remember. I don't know how well I'll do with learning with this powerpoint though I find it hard to compress information.

What do you guys do?

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: How do you revise? - April 10th 2014, 04:38 PM

Isuggest for powerpoints to make info in bullet points. Reading long paragraphs on a powerpoint is annoying. Also, is this for studying/personal use? or is this a presentatio for an audience? If it's for personal use, maybe you can try flashcard style using a powerpoint

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: How do you revise? - April 10th 2014, 05:12 PM

Most of my professors post their Powerpoints online so I just print them out and cram the information in. Same when it's my own notes, just flip through them a few times and that usually works. If there are essay questions, I read over all the information and try to make notes or acronyms for myself that I can reproduce on the test next to the question to help me remember.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: How do you revise? - April 10th 2014, 05:16 PM

I put terms and studies into lists with as minimal of information as possible, but enough so I understand exactly what the word/study means/is about. I like to cut down on unnecessary words.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: How do you revise? - April 10th 2014, 09:04 PM

I look to see what I understand; and I keep and empathize on what I don't understand so I can study that. Most of the time, I keep it to only a few words. And when I need to memorize things in order, I use mnemonics. We had to memorize the keyboard for a computer class so we took the bottom line and made the sentence "Zach Xavier Counts Vets Because Nobody Minds." It sounds odd, but that's how I passed that test.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: How do you revise? - April 13th 2014, 01:23 AM

I tried to revise in different ways because it made it less boring. I had powerpoints for some subjects, case studies for others. I also found that flash cards were really helpful, and so was making posters and sticking them up in places I was likely to see them a lot, because that way things would go in without me having to actively try constantly.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: How do you revise? - April 13th 2014, 01:40 AM

I think that there are two main things to acknowledge about revision before anything else I say:
  • You need a few methods which you can use in conjunction with each other to revise as well as possible.
  • Different things work well for different people. Find things that work for you.

This PowerPoint (I've no idea how I found this one particularly) has a few easy ideas to try, and there are loads of others if you Google search.
One of my favourites is (coloured) mindmaps - you don't necessarily have to look back at them immediately, but even just creating them will reinforce key facts in your mind, since that's what you'll be gathering and writing on it.
The power of writing key facts does work well for me, so you might like to consider writing a blog for yourself (something like Revision Systems, Inc. (not mine) - you can start easily using something like WordPress.com).
If your school is subscribed to any audio or video revision services, those might help.
You can also buy some post-it notes and literally plaster your house in them with key facts in places you see every day. If you keep seeing something inside the fridge, it will stick.
Finally...making up little songy-rhymey things is great fun. You can't do it for a lot of things, but I'll never forget the "Independent: change; Dependent: measure..." song I learned in science.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Counted Heart. Offline
Sweeter philosophy.
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Charlie

Re: How do you revise? - April 13th 2014, 12:11 PM

I'm big on active learning, so I often study with friends - we test each other, come up with games/quizzes, things like that. It helps a lot. Generally when it comes to exam time I highlight key points from all my notes, maybe make flashcards or at least study cards from that, and go over it. I also do some more eccentric things, which involve modelling concepts out using stationery items and talking out loud. It sounds a little crazy, but it works.

let no science fix our path
if only numbers make its math.
🎕

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: How do you revise? - April 13th 2014, 01:18 PM

Recently, i've been using this: http://www.powtoon.com/ because i got bored of making power points. It's really fun to make and a great way to revise

Read over notes in a news reporter voice and record it. Make fancy posters. Make silly mnemonics, they're great for remembering things, truly. Make a secret government report on a really boring subject you need to learn. Make weird advertisements. Write essays. Heck write important information on your wall, I did that once. Look on youtube and see if you can find any interesting relevant videos.
Also listening to piano music helps me concentrate on revision :P

I'm so bored of revising right now. xD

Also, I did AS psychology Doing A2 now, and doing psychology at uni hopefully

Take as long as you need.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread