TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

The age old problem - April 13th 2014, 01:30 PM

I have so much to do, and not a lot of time to do it. xD A levels are hard, can I please have a little bit of a whine?

I've got a lot to revise and whenever I think about how much else I actually have to do, I just want to throw things. A lot of the stuff I haven't learnt due to various teachers not being present due to illness :/ So I don't actually know what I have to do which is a bit of a bummer. But with the exam based subjects, I know what I have to do but it just seems so damn difficult. There's a lot of stuff I need to remember, and although I'm revising and making powerpoints and notes and god knows what else, I'm worried I won't be able to remember enough of it to write essays on it.

I really am trying to calm down but I keep getting all worked up and that doesn't really help the revision side. How do I calm down whilst simultaneously getting all the work done? Also is there any way of making really, really dull topic memorable? When I get stressed I get argumentative, and I don't want to shout at people

Take as long as you need.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: The age old problem - April 13th 2014, 03:27 PM

Hey there,

I totally feel this. I had the same trouble. Revision is boring as heck and A-levels suck BUT there are ways to make it easier on you, so I'll give you a couple of tips.

First of all, try going through all of your subjects and splitting up the units into smaller sections. You can do this easily by going through the text book and writing out the different topics within a unit. I don't know what you're studying, but for example, if you're doing social psychology, you might split it up into majority influence, minority influence, and so on. Maybe try splitting it into sections that you might get an essay title on, so that you know how small/big the section of revision needs to be.

Once you've done this, go through the sections one at a time and write down all of the key information you need. This could be research studies, key words, definitions, evaluations and so on. Write it in as much detail as you think you need - this can always be narrowed down further later on once you know it enough to cut out any unnecessary details.

A good way to plan for essays is to literally plan the essays. Go online and find past papers, get essay titles and plan what you might write in one. You can start off by using your notes - but try to use the notes that you've made rather than the textbook, because if you rely too heavily on it you might not learn anything. As you get more confident, try planning the essays without your notes. This will also help you narrow down the details so that you know it a bit better and can recall the key parts and elabourate on them when it comes to the exam.

Also, try using different revision techniques. How do you learn best? If you're a visual learner, try using posters and colours and spider diagrams, or try writing on a white board or something. If you're more of an auditory learner, try recording yourself speaking the main parts, or simply saying things out loud to yourself. It might feel awkward, but I found that it really helped me order my thoughts. If you like to be active when you learn, try studying in a group and making mini presentations under a time limit which you can then present to your friends. Or use sticky notes and put them in place you're likely to see them often. When I was given a talk about revision, my tutor said that putting posters on the wall you face when you're on the toilet is really useful because you're in there every day without fail, so you can read it and not have to put too much energy into learning. It may go in better when you're more relaxed, as weird as it sounds to have to read notes on the loo.

I get that revision makes you want to throw things. God knows that I threw enough things and hit enough walls out of frustration when I was in your position too. But try splitting your revision up. If you feel yourself getting worked up, walk away completely and get outside or something. Leave your revision where it is and just...move away from it. Let yourself chill for a bit, go for a walk or have a snack, and when you're calm again, try once more. People can only manage so much before the brain shuts down, so remember that it's okay to take breaks often or to talk to people about how you're stressed. It may even be useful to talk to a teacher at school about it too, especially if a lack of actual teaching is causing you problems. It's perfectly okay to be stressed, but to be stressed secretly doesn't help anyone.

I hope this has helped somewhat. Feel free to shoot me a message if you need any help.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: The age old problem - April 14th 2014, 12:08 PM

haha thanks for your reply! You said some really useful stuff, I appreciate it

Take as long as you need.

Closed Thread