TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Your_Friend Offline
Average Joe

Name: Ibrahim aka Ibiii

Confussed - April 19th 2014, 02:47 PM

Hi.I got in high school now.In my schooling system,it is the time to choose which subjects we should choose.I belong to a family of doctors and engineers and these fields are available for me( according to family).I was confussed what to take among these so I took both (Maths and Biology). :P

On other hand I want to do something different.I want to become an actor but you know how difficult it is to be an actor these days.

I also have a great interest in finance but the stream of finance in not available in my school.I would probably have to go to other place if I want to study finance which I would never allow to happen because I love the place where I am.

So I am confussed what to do in future.Most people say do what you have interest in but I have interest in many things like writing,finance,acting,sports,bussiness etc etc :P

I dont know what to do

(#2 (permalink)) Old
stelles Offline
stelles
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Estelle/Stelles

Re: Confussed - April 20th 2014, 12:38 AM

Hey,
Definitely do what you want to do, not what your family wants you to do. Are there any classes that might help you with finance? Math is probably a good choice for that. And can you take electives? Maybe pick theatre or creative writing, or look for after school clubs that involve those (school musical/play, literary magazine, etc.) For now, just take whatever seems interesting or whatever you're good at.

It's normal to have interests in a lot of different areas, which makes picking a specific one or two hard. But whatever you pick now isn't a final decision. You could take biology and then something completely different in college. High school's a good time to try out different things, but not a good time to make a final decision for your future.

Good luck!

Be yourself, because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  Send a message via Skype™ to stelles 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
SpecterH Offline
Average Joe

Name: Harvey S.

Re: Confussed - April 20th 2014, 04:48 AM

I know that choosing what you want to do in life is a very tough task. I'm twenty-two and I still don't fully know what I want to do with my life. So, don't worry, almost everyone your age is in the exact same situation.

At this point, you're only sixteen years old. I think you should take the courses that sound most interesting to you. I know that your family wants you to be a doctor, and that's cool if you're interested in medicine. However, it's so important to do what you want to do - as opposed to following what other people tell you to do. It can be very tough to go against your parents' recommendations, but at the end of the day, it's your life and you're the one who has to go to work at that job every day.

Sure, acting is very tough to get into. My best advice for this would be to continue with drama as a hobby. That way, you can still fulfill one of your strongest passions, while having a solid educational background to back you up in the case that acting doesn't work out for you.

Once you get to college, it is likely that your mind will change about what you want to do in the future. This is very normal. Most of my friends changed their major a few times while in university, and it's complete okay. I think the best thing for you to do is to have an open mind about things right now. Take courses that seem interesting to you and follow your passions. What do you enjoy? What do you want to learn about? Take things one day at a time, and eventually you'll find out what you're going to do.

There's no use in trying to plan out the future to this extent. No matter how much you plan, I guarantee that things will change in the future. One of the worst things you can do is to get caught up in one single thing - i.e., medicine - and close off every other door. Keep an open mind about things and I promise that things will work out.

Good luck.

Harvey Specter
Don't play the odds, play the man.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Your_Friend Offline
Average Joe

Re: Confussed - April 20th 2014, 11:23 AM

Thank you so much

(#5 (permalink)) Old
brigette Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Confussed - April 26th 2014, 08:14 PM

List the things and career that you're passionate at and try to go for it despite of how tough the competition is. You'll realized that struggling for something that you really want will give you the feeling of fulfillment and contentment.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Your_Friend Offline
Average Joe

Re: Confussed - April 30th 2014, 12:01 PM

I dont have clubs like writing,singing etc near me. :/

Closed Thread