TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

To take the AP Exam or not? - April 22nd 2014, 01:20 AM

Hey all,

I have a test in May called the AP Exam. It's in physics. Basically, what the AP Exam does is determines whether or not you are eligible to earn college credits for the class. If I fail the exam, I get credits at a high school level, but not the college credits.

It used to be optional to take this test so you'd have to sign up, but this year, the school decided to order tests for everyone in the class.

I was debating whether or not to take it. Sure, it would be nice to get the college credit, but I don't feel as if I am going to pass anyway. It is a damned miracle when I actually pass a test in that class. Most of the time she lets me retake them. Right now, my physics grade is down to a 66 though since we can't retake districtwide assessments. So why do I want to sit through a test I have no chance at?

Also, I don't feel comfortable in physics, meaning that if, say, I pass the exam and don't have to take the class again in college, I feel as if I'll end up majorly screwing up one day in my career if I actually need physics in it because I REALLY don't know what I'm doing in that class. I don't remember any of the formulas or anything. And I certainly don't want to retake a class that I'm not going to get credit for.

My sister and friend find it stupid that I was thinking of not taking the exam because well, college credits and blah blah, and even if I don't earn the credits they think it's important for me to see where I stand. But I don't want to get some failure results either.

Should I give the stupid exam a try or not? I said it's mandatory, but there's no retake on it, so if I'm "sick" that day I won't have to take it. I was thinking of just skipping school that day. We have nine unexcused absences before being denied credit. I've used three and plan to use one in June, so it's not like I'll be screwing myself over horribly if I miss a day.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DemonQueen Offline
amber_teh_shark since 2004
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Amber

Re: To take the AP Exam or not? - April 22nd 2014, 02:48 PM

Hey Dez,

I never took any academic honors classes when I was in high school and wasn't really eligible to take the AP tests or classes and I sort of wish that I had. I think that you should go for it and take the test! If you do pass and end up needing to use Physics in the future you can always get a tutor - even in college. We used to have study groups a couple times a week and would help each other remember the formulas/signs/math/whatever.

You did something that not many people get the chance to do. Pass or fail you still get credits either way, not to mention you get an awesome learning experience and (possibly) a jump start on college for the fall.

I've been through hell and back and came out stronger than ever.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
SpecterH Offline
Average Joe

Name: Harvey S.

Re: To take the AP Exam or not? - April 22nd 2014, 04:52 PM

I think it's entirely up to you.

I took eight AP exams when I was graduating high school - and it was a really rough time, aha. I had the same dilemma as you - but with English. I ended up taking the exam and passing it. But, English is very different than Physics.

If you're not comfortable with Physics as a subject, I wouldn't recommend taking the exam. Although, you could always attempt the exam and see what happens. I found the Physics exam, specifically, was probably the most similar to the tests in that class - and I ended up getting near perfect on the AP exam. I'm not sure why because Physics was certainly not my strongest subject out of the eight.

Despite, this, however. I chose not to use any of the eight college credits that I earned from the AP exams. Instead, I enrolled in first year courses once I went to university - in order to avoid missing any vital information.

So, if you get the credit, will you actually use the credit in college, or will you do something like I did and enrol in first year courses anyway? If you'll actually use the credit, I'd suggest taking the exam. I know you don't feel comfortable with the subject, but you may surprise yourself. Personally, I think the potential benefits completely outweigh the cons. Sure, you may feel stressed and completely lost for a few hours, and then, may fail the exam. But, so what? There are no repercussions for failing an AP exam. However, if you pass the exam, you'll get a college credit. That's quite valuable.

Ultimately, though, it's entirely up to you and your own comfort level. Perhaps you can talk to your Physics teacher and see what he/she has to say about it. He/she may have a better idea about this than I do.

But, if you have any more questions about the AP exams (even in other subjects), the college credit transfer stuff, etc., feel free to give me a shout.

Good luck.

Harvey Specter
Don't play the odds, play the man.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: To take the AP Exam or not? - April 22nd 2014, 05:11 PM

I totally posted here but it did not get sent. I'll retype my reply when I can. I forgot the wording I used

-----------edit
Hey Dez!
I would recommend you take it. Here's why: what's the worse that can happen? you don't get the college credit. The exam itself doesn't affect any grade in high school, am I correct? I had a situation where I was in AP French and that year the exam changed format for the first time, so the previous exams didn't help much. Only 7 kids decided to take the exam and I was one of them. It was hard and horribly went wrong. Especially because the quality of the listening section was from a blurry radio and unclear. I think it's still worth to try because if you do get the credits, you'll probably be exempt from taking a science class or you'd have to take one science class less. Many colleges have requirements that one must take to graduate. So for example, I fulfilled one social science class because of my AP government credit. So now I can focus on other things. The same will apply to you. If you do earn the credit, you'll have to take less science in college, unless of course that's your major. Better to take try to get it over with while still in high school.

I am not sure if you get reduced cost, but the test is about 85 dollars and that might be something to consider If you could get reduced cost, it would only be 15 dollars

Last edited by Not_here; April 23rd 2014 at 12:31 PM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: To take the AP Exam or not? - April 22nd 2014, 06:22 PM

If you don't have to pay for it, I would take it. I think you need a 3 to get college credit usually. You might be surprised what is on the AP Exam and do better in class. If not, well, it was a learning experience.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Your_Friend Offline
Average Joe

Name: Ibrahim aka Ibiii

Re: To take the AP Exam or not? - April 22nd 2014, 06:34 PM

Hey Dez

I think you must take it.You must try hard in these 10 days to cover as much as you cn so that you can get good marks in Physics.If there is no harm in giving a try,then you should take that test.

Best of luck

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: To take the AP Exam or not? - April 22nd 2014, 07:38 PM

Just found out the test is three hours long, which means I'll actually have to stay after school an hour later if I decide to take it. Yeah, that makes me want to take it even less and it this point I'm leaning towards saying "screw it."

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Mr_Awesome Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: John Smith

Re: To take the AP Exam or not? - April 22nd 2014, 10:06 PM

Hey! I have to take an AP Exam as well... the class is AP Human Geography and it is a college course. We will be having practices held during and after school, and after this week I will have testing for the next 3 WEEKS! But you'll be fine! As long as you feel prepared go for it! Best of luck to you!

P.S. As long as it doesn't determine whether or not you will be a hobbo in the streets you'll be fine. You'll never know until you try it! You can shun me if I am wrong, otherwise you have nothing to worry about...

(#9 (permalink)) Old
SpecterH Offline
Average Joe

Name: Harvey S.

Re: To take the AP Exam or not? - April 22nd 2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpop. View Post
Just found out the test is three hours long, which means I'll actually have to stay after school an hour later if I decide to take it. Yeah, that makes me want to take it even less and it this point I'm leaning towards saying "screw it."
I'd try it anyway. You may regret it if you don't, and you wouldn't regret the extra hour.

Harvey Specter
Don't play the odds, play the man.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Re: To take the AP Exam or not? - April 23rd 2014, 06:10 PM

Hey Dez,

I think taking an AP exam is completely based on your decision and how confident you feel to test out of that class. If you say that you don't know the material well enough, then it might be the best for you to not take that exam. I don't want to sound discouraging but I know that AP exams cost a lot of money too. However, there's still time to study and improve. I have taken AP physics myself before and there's many concepts on that test that'll make no sense at first, but over the course of time, they will. Plus, they give LOTS of partial credit on the exam- even if you just write a couple of formulas or even write a couple of sentences explaining your approach in solving the problem. The multiple choice might seem tedious too but there's plenty of study material available for it. You could find sample AP tests to practice off of as well as use some crash course study guides to help you prepare. However, the ultimate decision of taking the exam is yours and how comfortable you are. I hope this helps and good luck to you.

~Rishy

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

Closed Thread