TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Peter Pan Offline
New Memeber
Not a n00b

Name: Peter Pan

Exam pressure/stress - May 4th 2014, 06:04 PM

Hi,

I have got my exams coming up at the start of June. I am already starting to get really stressed out and all I want to do is not take them. Does anyone have any advice? I feel like that I am stupid and I am just going to get the exam papers and not know anything.

I tired the relaxation that my psychotherapist has suggested but every time I sit down and try to do any revision the stress just starts to build to the point that I am not taking anything in. Then when I go back over my notes it feels like I have not learnt anything at all.

I want to do good at them but I am not expecting to be the best or get great marks but I would like to pass. I go to a Catholic school so the pressure they put on us is massive. At school they think that you have to study for hours is the way you do it but I just get tired to the point I can't think any more.

I am dyslexic as well so they sometimes think I am making excuses. I am not, I get really tired and things don't go in. I have done well in my coursework which I actually enjoyed but I hate exams. its just AHHHHHHHHHH I hate this time of year.

Lewisje

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Magda Offline
Magdalena Konopacka
Not a n00b

Name: Magdalena

Re: Exam pressure/stress - May 4th 2014, 06:24 PM

I have science and English exams in may. I'm not revising anymore. It's stressing me out too much and when we do mocks, I fail. It may not be the best way for you, but for me it's working.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
stelles Offline
stelles
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Estelle/Stelles

Re: Exam pressure/stress - May 4th 2014, 06:28 PM

Exams suck, right? The best you can do is prepare for them. If you know you did all you can to get ready, you'll be more confident and do better on the exam. Try talking to teachers for extra help at lunch and after school. Do any studying your teachers recommend, and any other studying you can think of. There are also videos and websites where you can find different and possibly less confusing explanations of anything you've learned, as well as practice exams.

Other than being prepared with the information, you can do little things that will help your concentration during the test. Get as much sleep as you can the night before, skim notes in the morning before the test, chew gum during the test (if you're allowed to). Good luck!

Be yourself, because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  Send a message via Skype™ to stelles 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Magda Offline
Magdalena Konopacka
Not a n00b

Name: Magdalena

Re: Exam pressure/stress - May 4th 2014, 06:31 PM

Yeah, I agree with the above. That's probably a better resolution. good luck

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Peter Pan Offline
New Memeber
Not a n00b

Name: Peter Pan

Re: Exam pressure/stress - May 5th 2014, 06:01 PM

Thank you I am fed up with exams as well but I will ask if they will help me after school with my revision, thanks for the suggestion. I don't get much sleep, my sleep pill only last for about five hours but I will try and get some more rest. I guess I got to just try to get as much in my head as possible and then hopefully not mess up my exam.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Your_Friend Offline
Average Joe

Name: Ibrahim aka Ibiii

Re: Exam pressure/stress - May 5th 2014, 07:49 PM

Hi

First of all HI5 as I got main exams in June too.Sometimes I too feel stressed but I remind myself that a single sheet of paper wont decide our future.Its very difficult to prepare for exams but on other hand it is easy to appear.Just start preparing few months before the exam like studying 1 hour daily.
Best of luck for your exams!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Azure. Offline
Filling My Panties.
I can't get enough

Re: Exam pressure/stress - May 7th 2014, 12:42 AM

This is the worst time of year. I completely agree.

I think preparing for exams is important, but it can feel like a daunting task. Do you know what material will be on your tests? It might help to go to a teacher and ask him/her what they think would be the most effective way to study. Some teachers follow old tests when making exams, other use a textbook as a guide, and others use notes. Maybe they could also help you pick out some big topics that are important things to master before the exam.

I normally collect all of the information that I need to study (old tests, notes, papers) and organize them by class in a big folder or binder. That way, I have everything I need to study accessible and all together. Depending on the material, I will either make flashcards, read over things, or do practice problems.

After gathering everything that you need to study, I recommend making a study plan or calendar. Setting aside some time everyday to study helps a lot. Also, make sure to plan study breaks as often as you need them. This should help keep your focus up and keep your stress levels down. Also, spreading out your studying over a large period of time instead of cramming should help ease the stress as well.

Good luck during this awful time of year.

vm-pm
♥♥♥
Find your light in a new dawn.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Azure. Offline
Filling My Panties.
I can't get enough

Re: Exam pressure/stress - May 7th 2014, 12:42 AM

This is the worst time of year. I completely agree.

I think preparing for exams is important, but it can feel like a daunting task. Do you know what material will be on your tests? It might help to go to a teacher and ask him/her what they think would be the most effective way to study. Some teachers follow old tests when making exams, other use a textbook as a guide, and others use notes. Maybe they could also help you pick out some big topics that are important things to master before the exam.

I normally collect all of the information that I need to study (old tests, notes, papers) and organize them by class in a big folder or binder. That way, I have everything I need to study accessible and all together. Depending on the material, I will either make flashcards, read over things, or do practice problems.

After gathering everything that you need to study, I recommend making a study plan or calendar. Setting aside some time everyday to study helps a lot. Also, make sure to plan study breaks as often as you need them. This should help keep your focus up and keep your stress levels down. Also, spreading out your studying over a large period of time instead of cramming should help ease the stress as well.

Good luck during this awful time of year.

vm-pm
♥♥♥
Find your light in a new dawn.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Exam pressure/stress - May 7th 2014, 02:49 AM

Hi There,

I believe you have to create ways of studying that will work for you. If you are studying just by reading notes you take in class, notes given to you by your teachers or the textbook, that can get boring and exhausting rather quickly for quite a majority of people.
However, if you use other techniques that could be helpful.
For instance, I am going to be in my junior year of college this fall coming up and I have not until recently found a study method that truly works for me.
Is a lot of what you have to study terms and definitions or questions and answers? If so, you can use Quizlet.com. With this website, you create a free account and then you can create virtual flash cards (there is also an option to print them if you prefer). You can also make quizzes and play games to help you with learning your terms. There is also an audio feature where you can listen to one side of the card (such as the definition) and then have to type the term (you can also flip the cards or mix having to write out terms and definitions). For the quizzes, you can choose to have multiple choice, true false, written answer and matching. You can customize this so that you only study questions similar to that of the exam you are given.
There is not an option for essay tests however this could help you remember the key points you would need in an essay.
I hope this helps and that your exams go well.
Take care and you can PM me if you ever want to talk or would like help with Quizlet.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread