TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Have to hand in my notice after 6 weeks in my job... feel like I led them on..!! - May 13th 2014, 12:29 PM

I'm going to America for the summer for three months for a working holiday, and I leave on the 5th of June.

In March I lost my part-time job quite unexpectedly - it was all bit upsetting and maybe unfair dismissal, but that's not the point right now. I had two months to find myself another job so I could make some money before going away, and I started one in mid-April.

When I started I obviously didn't tell them that I was going away for the summer, but now it's getting closer and closer and I need to hand in my notice, but I feel so guilty!! The job is all right, but they're nice enough people and I feel bad that I may have led them on. Also when I come back to Ireland in September with college fees looming I'll be needing to get back to work SOMEWHERE, so I don't want to burn any bridges with this place - as it would be handy enough if I could hop straight back in to work already knowing the ropes; it's also close enough to my college which is handy.

I'm worried that I'll hand in my notice and they'll be angry that I deceived them - I'd just feel bad. Is there a good way to leave on good terms with them (after just six weeks!!)??

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Have to hand in my notice after 6 weeks in my job... feel like I led them on..!! - May 13th 2014, 03:20 PM

Well handing in the notice now is a good step. Just say that you have the opportunity to go to America and that it is something that you do not want to miss out on.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Name: Kaveri

Re: Have to hand in my notice after 6 weeks in my job... feel like I led them on..!! - May 13th 2014, 03:58 PM

Hey!

First off, good stuff about America, I'm very happy for you!

About the job, you could talk to the manager, and explain the situation. Let him/her know that since you have to be in America for 3 months from such and such a date, and do explain that you will be back in 3 months, and would really like to get back to this job if they are okay with it.
So, that would mean, you wouldn't necessarily HAVE to hand in a notice quitting the job, but only that you won't be there for 3 months. Don't feel guilty. You're taking an opportunity that was presented to you. There's no guilt in that. See if you can talk to your current manager about any arrangements that could be made because you are really comfortable in your job and really like being there and working there. What else is possible? There will always be something. No harm in putting forward the request

~Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved.

Concrete Angel

"And so I grew from colt to stallion
As wild and as reckless as thunder over the land.
Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind.
Flying? There were times I believed I could."

HelpLINK Mentor - 2.4.2011
LiveHelp Operator - 18.6.2011

Send a message via MSN to Spirit. Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit. 
Closed Thread