TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ravensnight Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Nervous! - May 28th 2014, 03:59 AM

I am a shy person. A very shy person. I go beyond the average introvert. I could live my lide in solitude and be perfectly happy. But I can't
I have to present in class tomorrow. A poem, a very long peom that I wrote. I've done dozens of class presentations, but this feels different. When I'm think about it, my stomach squirms and twists. When I'm not, its only a few seconds. All my nervous habits are breaking out in a hailstorm. My pacing is driving others insane, I'm muttering under my breath, trying to calm myself but I can't. My heart is as heavy as a stone and I'm constantly on the verge of tears. My crush is in that class and I just don't think I can do it. This project is worth over a hundred points, if I fail it, I'll lose my A for the year.
What can I do to be okay?

The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world or a relationship everything has it's time. And everything ends.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: Nervous! - May 28th 2014, 12:53 PM

Sorry this is late, so this may or may not apply to you any more, but you can probably use my advice in the future.

I can totally relate to this. I am an extremely shy person and sometimes have problems presenting in front of the class. Sadly, there really is not much you can do except for just deal with it. Maybe you can ask your teacher if you could come by their office to present to them as practice. They will probably suggest somethings for you to do to help you relax before a big presentation. One thing you should have probably done in the beginning of the school year tell your teacher about your social anxiety. I am a sophomore in college and this semester, I was in a precalculus class and each class we were put into groups and one person from each group had to present a problem from the homework that was due that day. I never went up in front of the class to present, but I sent my teacher an email explaining everything and thankfully he let me present a homework problem to him in his office. Teachers are willingly to help you out as long as you ask for help. I know it can be a scary thing to ask for help, but there is nothing wrong with asking for help.

The main thing to do to prepare for a big presentation is just practice, practice, practice.

Member Since 1/15/2012

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ravensnight Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Nervous! - May 28th 2014, 02:04 PM

Thanks for the tip. Don't worry. You're not too late. That sounds like a great way to help relieve nerves, but this teacher is very unapproachable, and I have great doubts she would let anyone come in her room for something like that. I suppose all I can do is do my best, try and be confident, and try not to stutter. I have a TA class before that with a close friend. Maybe I can practice with her? Anyways, thanks for your time and advice!

The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world or a relationship everything has it's time. And everything ends.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ravensnight Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Nervous! - May 29th 2014, 01:11 AM

I guess there is truth to the phrase "worried sick". I completed my presentation, horribly in my mind. I kept losing my place and stuttering. I always talk fast when I'm nervous and my mouth was so dry I could hardly speak at all. But I'm proud I did it and that its over with.
However, not even two hours later, I came down with a cold that has been growing streadily worse and worse. Maybe this will be the lesson to teach me not to stress so much.

Closed Thread