TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
gdheiwmow Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Suicidality affecting career - July 24th 2014, 04:46 PM

It just recently occurred to me that medical school is extremely expensive. I can't imagine myself having a career outside the medical field, but at the same time, I don't know if I want to go through with it if it means I'll be in debt until my 40s or older. Primarily, this is because I don't think I'll make it to my 50s, and I would feel like such an asshole if I put my debts onto my family.

Anyone else having issues like this? Or any opinions on what should be done?

Last edited by Solivagant; July 26th 2014 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Removing prefix.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Re: Suicidality affecting career - July 24th 2014, 05:33 PM

... there can be many conflicts like this where you aren't sure about what to do. I don't have an issue like this... but i think that your family will never hold anything against you. Your family loves you. and i can reassure you that you being the good person you are , is already all that your family wants don't feel like you are a burden, cause you are not.

If its really weighing on you that much, perhaps you can consider some other options that might also allow ample employment opportunities as well as good experiences that can help you in the future. All doors are always open.. give things a try and you'll surprise yourself with how much you can achieve.

if there's any problems, feel free to ask me for advice. im not that good at it but i'll help out in any way i can.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Suicidality affecting career - July 25th 2014, 12:16 AM

I struggle with my education options because I know that I will have to take on some debt and that scares me. I am not entirely sure how much debt I would be in but I know it will, most likely, take some years to pay off. However, I can't let this deter me from going after the career I want because if I did I don't think I would ever be happy.

I think the best thing you can do is weigh the pros and cons about going to medical school. This will help you determine if going after this degree is what you truly want.

I hope that this helped in some way.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: Suicidality affecting career - July 25th 2014, 05:37 PM

Hey there,

I am going to move this thread to Education and Careers Forum as I feel that you will receive more responses there. Please feel free to get in touch with me, any other mod or a PA in case you have any problems with this decision or would like the thread to be moved somewhere else.

Debt is no doubt a scary thing, especially when the responsibilities of a family are there.

Like it has been suggested above, you need to consider the pros and cons. Would you be happy if you did something else that didn't put you in so much debt? Would the happiness that you get from your course worth it?

You can look into scholarships. I don't know how this works in your country but if possible, could you look into colleges which are not so expensive? Can college be compromised?

Another thing that you should consider is the job opportunities when you finish college. There are many fields in which it takes forever to find a job and you are stuck. But since doctors are always in demand, this shouldn't be that much of a problem. Again, I am not sure how this works in your country but you can look into your options such as your own practice.

There are campus placements, internships etc that you can work for. Internships, volunteer work etc increase your chances of employability. You seem very dedicated and with hard work, I am sure that things will work out for you in the longer run.

I hope that this helps.

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Last edited by Solivagant; July 26th 2014 at 05:20 PM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Suicidality affecting career - August 1st 2014, 02:05 AM

There are more careers in the medical world than just physicians. I personally would never want to become a md or do. However, there are other just as rewarding jobs.

One path I am considering is to become a midwife or a nurse practitioner. The np is really taking off in the primary care role because many physicians are avoiding that role due to not receiving as much money. A physician assistant is similar. They can work in emergency rooms, primary care offices, pediatric offices, in hospitals when patients are admitted, round for physicians, etc. They write orders, prescribe meds, and even suture.

The schooling is a lot less than a medical doctor. It's about 4 years for a BSN and 2 to 3 years for NP, however you usually need to work at least one year to get into a program. That is not always the case though. I know several ER physicians who have stated they should have just become a physician assistant or a NP. One even said he would rather have become a CRNA (nurse anesthetist).

Nurse anesthetist is tough work and they make great money. Some make over 100,000 but you need to get critical care experience and have great grades with references from several physicians.

Some states are moving to allow nurse practitioners to work without physician oversight.

I personally am working towards a nurse midwife with a post masters cert as a family nurse practitioner. I am working on finishing up my bachelors and getting my one to two years experience in the ER before applying for midwife programs. People have told me I should fly as an RN since I have previous EMS work but I am terrified of flying. The damn helicopter would crash and I'd die. Mobile unit? Eh, maybe.

Also, any career path will probably leave you in debt. However, with nursing some hospitals will pay some money towards school if you sign a contract with them.

Closed Thread