TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Homework Help (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f535-homework-help/)
-   -   The Homework Help Thread (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f535-homework-help/t131701-homework-help-thread/)

Lamia July 27th 2014 02:20 AM

The Homework Help Thread

Hey guys! Kat here! I've seen variations of this thread around other places, I figured it might be nice to have one go-to thread for homework help!

Basically, the rule is, do NOT help someone cheat. Don't just give them an answer, try and actually explain it to them so that they learn it on their own.

You can post in this thread if you need help with anything homework or school related. Study tips, ideas for essay topics, help with math problems, you name it!

Enjoy!

MsNobleEleanor July 27th 2014 12:48 PM

Re: The Homework Help Thread

I really like this thread Kat!

Although College doesn't start for me till September, I really like this thread. :)

I would like to share a site that I love, I've used it many times and it helps with your vocabulary.

Dictionary.com
Thesaurus.com
WordDyamo
Reference.com
Translator

serendipity2014 August 4th 2014 03:49 AM

I think this is a great idea! Although I love the idea of helping directly on TH, I'd feel bad if I didn't mention two awesome resources for math outside of TH: Mathstackexchange and Dr. Math. You can submit questions to both, and you'll get detailed answers back. Dr. Math is a little slower(a couple days). Both have math professors and PhD students(and occasionally undergrads) answering questions.
Hope this helps! :)

Pirouette August 5th 2014 02:27 AM

This is a great idea and would be really helpful once school starts.

Mahray August 5th 2014 10:03 AM

I'm in for offering help where time permits :)

Em. August 5th 2014 05:19 PM

Does anyone speak french? I have summer work and I just can't do it and we have to do it before I start sixthform :(

Ennui. September 6th 2014 09:33 PM

Has anyone read "The Apology of Socrates" by Plato, who can possibly help me understand it? :/

hocus pocus September 6th 2014 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merpop. (Post 1134004)
Has anyone read "The Apology of Socrates" by Plato, who can possibly help me understand it? :/

I did a search for it on Spark Notes but the server won't load for me. D: Maybe it'll work for you and give you some information though!

Ennui. September 6th 2014 11:17 PM

Thanks! It's not loading for me, either though. :(

Azure. September 7th 2014 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merpop. (Post 1134043)
Thanks! It's not loading for me, either though. :(

This page from cliff notes might help. I normally use sparknotes though, so I'm not sure about the quality of this one. I hope this helps!

Wolfz September 7th 2014 01:24 AM

I like this thread a lot and since I will attend a new school on monday (first day of school), I will surely use this thread when I need help with homework and such. ^.^

Kintsukuroi. September 7th 2014 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emh-98 (Post 1127220)
Does anyone speak french? I have summer work and I just can't do it and we have to do it before I start sixthform :(

If you need help with french I can. I'm pretty good at it, I've been learning it since I was little. :)

weaved1 September 7th 2014 02:39 AM

I'm a wizard at maths and wiling to help out anyone who needs it. Shoot me a PM.

Celyn September 7th 2014 04:03 PM

I'm willing to help since I have finished school forever....apart from when I (hopefully) become a teacher in about two years time!

Philomath September 7th 2014 06:42 PM

Hey,

I'm willing to help with some classes.
I'm pretty good with Bible, Psychology, US and World history and biology (my favorite science).
Also, I would like to post a link to a very useful studying website I am starting to use more often.
Quizlet
This website is great! You can make flash cards, quizzes, play games (scatter and space race), studying other languages is possible, and there are a lot of different ways to upload info, they have a mobile app for both IOS and Android (where all info syncs between the app and website) and they also offer very wonderful support if you need help (responding to emails within a day or two).
The best thing: everything is free! You can create up to five sets but that is plenty because people generally take four to five classes in college anyways and not all classes in High school require this type of studying (art, PE etc.)
Hopefully this helps someone! :)

Ennui. September 9th 2014 08:01 PM

I'm doing terribly in math, so any help is lovely. :'(

The data set is: 8, -12, 16, 3, -9, -15, 5, 19. It wants me to determine the value of k such that ∑(x-k)=0

∑ means sum.

Mahray September 10th 2014 04:10 AM

I don't want to just answer the question for you... so here are some pointers!

Firstly, think about all those numbers on a number line, centered around 0.

Something like:

-15 -12 -9 0 3 5 8 16 19

For any particular number, what's the value of k that will mean x - k = 0? What do you notice about the values?

Some of those numbers are big, some are small... so what can we do to find one number that represents all of them?

Ennui. September 10th 2014 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahray (Post 1135157)
I don't want to just answer the question for you... so here are some pointers!

Firstly, think about all those numbers on a number line, centered around 0.

Something like:

-15 -12 -9 0 3 5 8 16 19

For any particular number, what's the value of k that will mean x - k = 0? What do you notice about the values?

Some of those numbers are big, some are small... so what can we do to find one number that represents all of them?

I was talking to someone in Chat, and they mentioned that K would basically be like negating X.

I think. I'm also tired. :bleh:

Mahray September 10th 2014 04:30 AM

Yep. k is about being the opposite of all the xs.

So what's a single number that we can use to represent a set of numbers, that measures the centre?

Ennui. September 10th 2014 04:33 AM

The median? Which is 3?
(btw, feel free to PM me if you want so we don't bombard the thread)

luckiicloverxx September 11th 2014 09:58 AM

I can help out with English (my main language), Mandarin (my second language, but I could qualify as fluent), and Maths (bc I'm Asian ahaha jk but yeah). :)

Kintsukuroi. October 9th 2014 03:24 AM

Has anyone read L'Étranger by Albert Camus (The Stranger) and can help clarify a few things? (make sure I'm understanding or rather translating it correctly?) :)

anonymouswhale October 10th 2014 02:12 AM

I can help with psychology, algebra, astronomy, english, music theory, and earth science (I'm a tutor for math and science, specifically). Feel free to PM me anytime.

Writer October 12th 2014 04:22 AM

I can help with English and History of any sort. If I don't know it, I've got a book that does. :D

PM me anytime! I'm usually online once a day, unless I'm busy.

Writer October 25th 2014 04:31 PM

Quote:

Ben earns an allowance by mowing the lawn and washing the dishes. He earns 2.25 times as much for mowing the lawn as he does for washing the dishes.

He earns an allowance of $15.00 for doing both of his chores. Ben wants to know how much he earns for just washing the dishes.

Write an equation to solve for the amount, x, Ben makes for doing the dishes. Do not solve the equation for x.
Can someone help me with this? :)

Mahray October 26th 2014 11:20 AM

Okay. So we would start by saying:

x = amount for dishes

Then we'd say that 2.25x = amount for mowing the lawn.

Where do you go from there?