TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives    The Holiday Resource

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
monkey01 Offline
trying to be strong
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Chantelle

i need a job - July 30th 2014, 06:52 PM

I have been looking for a full time job for a while now and no one will hire me i have tried every place i can think of i have gone in person and applied online. i just graduated from high school too. i need a job and i dont know what else to do

There is always someone who cares about you. It may not seem like it but there is. I can promise you that much.
  Send a message via MSN to monkey01  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
undeleted1 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: No one

Re: i need a job - July 30th 2014, 07:03 PM

Have you tried talking to friends and relatives? Maybe they know someone that can give you an opportunity. I was able to get my job after talking to my Aunt. Maybe a friend or relative can do the same for you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
monkey01 Offline
trying to be strong
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: i need a job - July 30th 2014, 07:09 PM

i have tried that

There is always someone who cares about you. It may not seem like it but there is. I can promise you that much.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
THE FAPMAN Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mr. Fap

Re: i need a job - July 30th 2014, 07:32 PM

If you know anything related with bookkeeping/IT or PA stuff, I can help you.
If not, sorry... :/
Tbh i think jobs are really hard to find without a phd...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: i need a job - July 30th 2014, 08:00 PM

You just need to keep looking. I don't know what help is available where you are but when I was without a job there were many services that offered help and assistance, as well as volunteer opportunities and training classes. Ask around and see what's available to you and go with that.

Finding a job can be difficult, and it's not getting any easier. You might want to consider some volunteer work to build up a better CV/resume before you start to make yourself more desirable to employers.

Good luck.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Sienna Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sienna

Re: i need a job - July 30th 2014, 08:23 PM

Do volunteer work if possible try to become more appealing to possible employees.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Chazzz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: i need a job - July 30th 2014, 08:41 PM

I think what the guys before me have said it some pretty solid advice, the key being any experience counts. Put yourself out there in a volunteer capacity and evidence that on your CV, it'll really help you stand out from the other 40 school leavers applying for the role.

The biggest mistake I made when I left school was being picky, I thought I was better than a lot of the roles available too me, far too intelligent to lower myself to them. Wrong. Bottom of the ladder is where you've got to start, the only way is up from there. Don't be choosey, we all have to start somewhere.

Make sure you CV has everything a recruiter is looking for, there are some great tools online to help you develop a really effective CV.

I think finally, it's really important to keep your mind active whilst you're out of work. My partner and I both work but we both make time to do several courses a year on websites like edx.org or futurelearn.com - keeps you on your toes and you're forever learning new things.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: i need a job - July 30th 2014, 10:23 PM

In the USA, the economy is rough and I think it's just as bad in other countries. Speaking from personal experience, right now it may be hard to get a full-time job just right out of high school without more experience or learning a trade. A lot of people I know work just under full-time, like 32 or 30 hours a week or they work 2 jobs.

One reason for that is that it is cheaper to hire a part-time person and offer part-time benefits. Even hospitals are cutting down on full-time positions and using part-timers.

The first step is to find any job if you do not have previous job experience. Any job is hard to find usually. Next, try to make your self as open as possible. Realize that you may end up working every weekend depending on what skills you have to offer.

Volunteer experience may help, but in all honesty I would be open to working part-time.

I would also start an excel spreadsheet and keep track of where you have applied. Most places have job applications online. Keep track of the date and when you applied. Sometimes calling may help them review your application but a lot of places don't want to deal with it at this time.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
monkey01 Offline
trying to be strong
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: i need a job - August 3rd 2014, 07:44 PM

got turned down for another job

(#10 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: i need a job - August 3rd 2014, 08:03 PM

Don't let a rejection get you down, we've all been there. I've had my fair few rejection emails in my time and sometimes they don't even answer you at all! You've got to just keep doing your best and you'll get a job soon enough. You're only 18, you've got plenty of time.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: i need a job - August 4th 2014, 12:43 AM

Rejections suck, but honestly, last summer I applied to 50 places and got nothing. This summer I applied to 20 and only got offered 1.

Volunteering is a good way to develop some good experience and also last summer when I couldn't find a job I ended up being offered a job to work with one of the families I met where I volunteer. So you never know what will come out of it.

Reviewing your resume might be a good idea too just in case that there is something on it that is causing people to turn you down (did you get fired or did you not explain very well what you got out of your last job etc.)

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread