TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MermaidMassacre Offline
Finding beauty in darkness.
I've been here a while

Name: Bridget

Body Mods and Jobs - August 25th 2014, 03:46 AM

Hello!

I am currently working as a graphic designer for a pest control company. They allow me to have my tattoos visible, and my small jewelry in my lip piercings.

I've worked in retail where my tattoo's had to be covered up and my piercings removed. I have also worked at a manufacturing company as an art intern that let me have a bunch of piercings and visible tattoos.

I am now looking to change jobs and so I was wondering where any of you with tattoos and facial piercings work that allows them?

Just list what your job title is and what type of company you work for. I just want to get an idea of what other industries are out there that can be lenient on body modifications. I know it will vary by the company, but like I said just to get an idea.

I'll do whatever it takes to be the mistake you can't live without.
  Send a message via AIM to MermaidMassacre Send a message via MSN to MermaidMassacre Send a message via Yahoo to MermaidMassacre Send a message via Skype™ to MermaidMassacre 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...
I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: Body Mods and Jobs - August 25th 2014, 12:12 PM

Hey there,

I have worked in a bar before, and although they weren't crazy about tattoos and piercings you just had to keep tattoos covered over.
I now work in an office as an administrator and it's really relaxed. They just don't care about whether you have tattoos or not, so I've never had a problem and I've never been asked to cover any of my tattoos or anything.

Best of luck,
Paige

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Body Mods and Jobs - August 25th 2014, 04:44 PM

I've worked in a garden center and they didn't care about tatoos, but I had to change my nose ring to a small stud (because you know, shiny things make people uncomfortable), I worked in catering which also required me to cover tattoos but piercings were okay, and now I work sorting legos for the summer and both tattoos and piercings are okay. I almost worked at Michaels craft store and they told me tattoos and piercings are okay. It really depends on the management.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Body Mods and Jobs - August 25th 2014, 04:55 PM

Rather than worrying about your piercings and tattoos right now I would suggest you just look and apply for jobs you're going to enjoy and then if you get an interview ask about piercings and tattoos there.

I'm in the UK so I don't know how much help I'll be but most retail stores don't mind you having a facial piercing such as a nose stud and as long as that tattoos aren't huge most don't mind if you have small ones showing.

I'd imagine any job where you're not in the public eye or where it's not a safety risk would be fine with piercings and tattoos.

I hope this helped some, take care

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: Body Mods and Jobs - August 25th 2014, 08:30 PM

Yeah I agree with Cara. Just apply and see what their grooming guidelines are. Just occupations that require a lot interaction with children (like mcdonalds, an amusement park, toys r us. etc.) or big public interaction would be difficult.

I do know I had a girlfriend who had snake bites and other mods on her face, but she had to work third and night shift so that's always a possibility, I'm not saying that could be a scenario for you but idk.

Being that you piercings and body mods maybe you should have a profession in the art field or something so you don't have to worry about having a part time job and not being able to follow their guidelines. :P

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Body Mods and Jobs - August 26th 2014, 02:05 AM

My jobs for the past five years have not allowed facial piercings or tattoos. Even neck tattoos are sketchy and people are constantly covering them up.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Body Mods and Jobs - August 26th 2014, 02:22 AM

I work as a software developer and I've seen a lot of colleagues with tattoos in the jobs I've had.

"If limitations exist, it is because we have erased the possibility of potential."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Hiraeth 
Closed Thread