TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
But this isn't wonderland
Welcome me, I'm new!

Staying motivated - September 8th 2014, 05:47 AM

I'm tired a lot, and I'm pretty certain all you guys are too. But there's always schoolwork to be done.
Often I just end up doing my work the morning itself or at school on the day it needs to be done, which isn't really the correct way to go.
How do all you guys stay motivated to do your work despite being tired as balls?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
crotia Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Staying motivated - September 8th 2014, 05:58 AM

ugh, I know that feeling all to well. Say yay to 5 HAVO.
Oh well, Maybe if you took power naps and eat lots of poteïns it would get better. And I also advice to try and get enough sleep. (Not play simps till one in the morning. Yeah I'm one to talk.) And You could also try put memo's on your mirror with wath your goal is and the question what your glad about. It's said to work and I guess it does help some. I have a memo with the study I wanna do. And try not to work to long. Like 40 minutes than 5 minutes pause (not longer than you get out the flow) and every 2 hours or so take a half hour break. But it stays hard don't make yourself any illusions.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Staying motivated - September 8th 2014, 06:07 AM

Hey!
I honestly try to do my homework when I get home instead of laying around procrastinating and waiting till later but I find if I spilt my homework up into sections (most important, important and least important by due dates and how much work is involved) then I can focus that way.

I put all my due dates onto iCal as well as keep an agenda. I also make alarms on my phone (time to do homework, take a break, break time up etc) I find if I do 30-45 minutes of homework then a 15 minute break it keeps me focused much better.

I personally work way better when I am listening to music then silence do I will either plug in headphones or leave music playing on my speakers

If I find myself dozing off or not focusing I will drink some water or chew gum and switch what I'm working on and then come back to the other thing later.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Staying motivated - September 8th 2014, 10:24 AM

Hi,

I remember my school days- they were pretty tiring and when you think you can go home and forget about it all, there is more work to be done! It can be very difficult to remain motivated throughout the year. Since I have finished school, I thought I would share some tips

How are your sleeping patterns? Balancing your social and school life can be difficult, but it still very important that you get you’re recommended 8 hours of sleep each night. Try to go to bed and get up at the same time every day. If you find falling asleep to be difficult, try to do something relaxing such as a warm bath, or read a book before going to sleep. Avoid all technology before going to bed as this will keep you stimulated!

Do you eat breakfast in the mornings? Eating breakfast can be a great way to start the day as it gives you energy that you will need, to see you through until break/lunch time. Generally, eating regularly and trying to avoid lots of junk food will make you feel more energised.

Next, try to create a routine and stick with it. Try writing down all your assignments in a diary, and prioritise which project needs to be done first. Writing to-do lists and then breaking each task down into a list of steps will also help to get the work done faster. As hard as it may be, try to keep all your work organised as this definitely saves time when looking back over your notes!

When doing revision, it’s important to not “cram” everything in. Give yourself regular breaks (say every 25-30 mins). Also, spend more time on things that you are not sure about, than the things you already know. Don’t forget to ask your teachers for help, if you get stuck! Also, try finding out if certain classes offer homework/revision groups- these may take place during a lunch time or after school and will allow you to get work done during the school day rather than at home, and you will also have the chance to talk to your teachers about your work.

With regards to trying to keep you motivated when doing school work, there are several ways that can make work fun. You can create mind maps, which will show all your work in a colourful and creative way. Creating flashcards are a really handy tool for revision- simply write a keyword, or question on one side and then writing the definition or answer on the other side. Then test yourself! Some people also find that meeting up with friends for projects or revision can be helpful as you can help and learn together. However, if you do arrange study sessions with friends, try not to get distracted! You can also set goals for yourself for when you do school work and when reaching those goals you can reward yourself with something that you like! This definitely kept me motivated!

As important as school work is, it’s also important to not let the stress get to you! Ensuring that you have a good support network of family and friends can be helpful when dealing with stress. Make sure you plan for your social life as well- meeting up with friends can provide a much needed distraction away from school. Just going for a walk can also be helpful, and finding time to enjoy doing activities/hobbies that you like will take your mind off things.

For general motivation, try creating a picture wish list of things you want to achieve/have in your life after you finish school. Is there a particular career you wish to follow? Any goals you want to achieve? Putting this picture in a place where you can see it when you do your work can help you feel motivated.

You are only in school for a short amount of time compared to the rest of your life, as hard as it may be, try to enjoy it

Hope I helped! PM me anytime!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Staying motivated - September 8th 2014, 06:16 PM

I get tired a lot too, and I tell myself, "The sooner I get the homework done, the sooner I can take a nap or just relax." Napping can be like the reward! Or, you can find some other reward that would help you stay motivated, too, like buying your favorite goodie or getting a new movie. I tend to do it right after school, too, so I can have the rest of the day for myself. You can also remind yourself that at least if you get it done the night before rather than waiting for the morning of, you won't have to worry about forgetting to do any assignments or having things go wrong that prevent you from completing the assignment on time.

Make sure your sleeping habits are good and that you are eating right, though, so you can get the most energy out of your day!

Closed Thread