TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: bayleigh

D in algebra - September 10th 2014, 07:22 PM

nughhhhh. my mom is all angry because im getting some shitty grades in algebra. i got 2 homeworks and a quiz back today and all of them were D's. shes saying that im gonna have to quit my job, like its all my fault that i dont understand. i think i have disgraphia but she hasnt scheduled a test for me. and my teacher is an ass. its just great.

Creativity takes courage
-Henri Matisse

PM/VM me if you just need to talk. trust me, i don't mind

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: D in algebra - September 10th 2014, 08:19 PM

Hi bayleigh,

Sorry to hear that you are having a hard time with Algebra. You mention that you feel you may have dysgraphia, perhaps you could suggest to your mom that you feel it is affecting your school work and would prefer to try and get tested sooner rather than later. Are there any other people in your life to talk to? Perhaps a year tutor, or school nurse/counsellor? They may be able to offer you advice, support and ways of coping as well as perhaps trying to help you get tested.

I'm also sorry to hear that your teacher isn't very helpful. Have you voiced your concerns about dysgraphia? You could try asking for help if you don't understand things- she should be willing to help and should be happy that you asked for help. You could also try asking your friends or classmates for help, if you don't understand things.

It's understandable that your mom may tell you to quit your job, as she may feel like you aren't spending enough time on your school work. If you are sure that your job is not distracting you, you could try creating a routine for school work and revision and spend more time on the things you don't understand. If you get stuck then you could ask friends for help. Also, don't forget to look for study/homework clubs in your school, as you will have an opportunity to talk to others about your homework and maybe get help.

Keep reaching out to your mom and teacher and any other people who can help you. When you get the help you need, things will get easier!

All the best!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: D in algebra - September 10th 2014, 09:48 PM

Ds just give you a starting place. You've also told us some things that seem a bit out of your control. You can't change your teacher, and if you've got dysgraphia you can't change that.

So what are some of the things that are in your control, that you can change? Study schedule that you stick to would be a good start. Are there other teachers or students you can ask for help?

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Re: D in algebra - September 12th 2014, 05:29 PM

Hey Bayleigh,

Sorry to hear that things are going so well for you in algebra. I agree with the advice given to you above. I would also recommend looking for a tutor. In schools, they usually have some sort of tutoring center/people available for tutoring. Maybe you could try taking to your math teacher for any help?

Don't worry too much about the homework and quiz grades. I know that grades are stressful, but most of the time, homework and quiz grades aren't worth as much as the tests. Is there any way you could ask your teacher for extra credit or even possibly retake the quiz for a better grade?

About your job- I totally understand that sometimes extracirricular activites can interfere a lot with school and grades. Do you work every day? How long do you work? You could try talking to your mom and your manager/boss at work about adjusting your work schedule so that you can get more time to study.

I hope this helps and wish you all the very best with getting things resolved.

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

Closed Thread