TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Distance Learning - October 2nd 2014, 02:59 PM

From Wikipedia: Distance education or distance learning is a mode of delivering education and instruction, often on an individual basis, to students who are not physically present in a traditional setting such as a classroom.

I've taken a few courses from a vocational/tech school about ten miles away; they're affiliated with a distance education organization. But I was wondering if there were other ways to do distance learning, because all the locations provide the same 300 or so courses.

I know there's a THer that does distance learning, and she linked her online school... They provide so much more and it's interactive, which means you can communicate with other students taking the same courses and the teachers (tutor for those outside the US).

I asked her if I could apply there, and she said it was only for those in the UK. I find that odd, because the distance learning organization allows foreign students to register with their local schools online.

I just want to know if there's any ways to do distance learning that offers more courses and interaction.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Distance Learning - October 3rd 2014, 12:42 PM

Hey Becki

Soooo were you referring to me there or..? It's the Open University I'm with, so I did a quick search on "Open University America" and found a page from the OU website with courses available in the US.
http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/countries/USA.shtm
Keep in mind that you still have to pay for it, but there are tons of really interesting courses there you can consider if you want to. If you want any more information about the OU or anything related to Distance Learning let me know and I'll try to help.

Good luck!

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Distance Learning - October 5th 2014, 12:37 PM

Open Universities seem to be across a lot of countries. There are also massive open courses, places like http://www.coursera.org/ offer free courses - but there's no accreditation. MIT Open Courseware also have free online courses.

These places have various levels of interaction with other students and staff. They also tend to be not accredited.

I have done a bucketload of study externally as well, so hit me up with questions if you like.

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Re: Distance Learning - October 5th 2014, 03:04 PM

Thanks, Louise and Tim!

Though the issue is, that I need accommodations since I'm hearing impared. Which means I will need a sign language interpreter or captioning. ED2GO which I am registered which and was talking about, has that. That's probably the only upside of it, really! The rest are all downsides, but it's just me that feels this way. Others registered with ED2GO may feel differently.

There is this one school, that is mainstream for deaf/hard of hearing and hearing, which has OU. They do provide accommodations for the deaf, obviously, but the courses I want to take aren't an option and a lot of them are hybrid courses. I would still love to know more, I'm not sure how to go about finding uni's that offers the OU.

Closed Thread