TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SilentBunny Offline
Formally Sn0man
Regular TeenHelper

Name: jake

Exclamation Applying for a job when i have a theft under $5000 charge against me? - October 21st 2014, 03:50 AM

So I did a very dumb thing the other day and decided to shoplift a watch from my local mall with a friend of mine. I got caught and put into a holding room. A rent a cop then read me my charges and then said there would be a letter coming in the mail this week about my court date. Also I've been banned from that mall for a year, and from that store for life.

What do i do about this whole situation? Will it be on my criminal record now, and will I have to pay a fine, or since it's my first offence will I just be given a warning?
I realise what I have done is wrong, and I won't be doing it any more, i am just trying to figure out what happens next.

I am looking for a job and most places have a question that reads "Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offence for which you have not been pardoned?", how do I answer that, do I just check no?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
crotia Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Applying for a job when i have a theft under $5000 charge against me? - October 21st 2014, 06:06 AM

lying could give you serious trouble ihn the future. So that's ill advised

Helping others sometimes makes it easier to feel good about yourself and help yourself.

So PM me if You want.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Applying for a job when i have a theft under $5000 charge against me? - October 21st 2014, 12:28 PM

No, you need to be honest. A lot of jobs nowadays require a criminal background check and if you're found to have lied you'll likely be fired. That'll look even worse when you apply for another job and have to explain why your last one ended.

Honestly, it was a really silly thing to do, and you know that. But I can't say what effect it'll have on your future employment opportunities because it depends what you end up doing. It could be difficult to get a job in a shop any time soon but it's difficult to say for sure.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Applying for a job when i have a theft under $5000 charge against me? - October 22nd 2014, 02:52 AM

It is important to be honest. And if you're upfront about it, then better chance of being able to explain to an employer what happened.

Yes, it could be difficult getting a job for a while. That's the way life goes. However, you may not have a conviction recorded, which might help you.

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Applying for a job when i have a theft under $5000 charge against me? - October 22nd 2014, 05:01 AM

Definitely don't check no under that part because it's likely you won't be pardoned for this. I doubt you'll get a warning too because even if this is your first offense, you're 19 and should know that stealing is wrong.
I know the punishments for this suck, but that's what happens when you don't abide the law.
Also I want to add that while it's not impossible for you to be hired having a criminal offense recently, it will make it harder to get hired because people with a clean record will have a better chance. My best advice is to apply to a lot of places and even go in to stores and talk to the managers if you can.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Applying for a job when i have a theft under $5000 charge against me? - October 24th 2014, 03:39 PM

I agree with Nicole, it's not like you stole a pack of gum ,you stole something reasonably expensive for kicks when you should have known better - it wasn't like you were desperate because you couldn't afford food or like you were in the midst of some kind of psychological upheaval, it just sounds like you were being stupid and that's it. I know that's harsh, but that's the blunt truth of it and that's what people will see when they hire you.

You cannot say "no" about the criminal charges because that is dishonest - even if you haven't been convicted yet. Fact of the matter is that you have been charged technically in that they know you didn't, it just hasn't been put on your record yet. It would be better to be careful with applications and try to find a way to explain upfront such as by providing a cover letter.

Like Nicole said, it will probably affect your employment because it will be deemed a bad thing that you have been convicted. When you are competing with people who also meet the job requirements, they might look over you if the others did not commit any crimes. Why would they choose you, someone who has a record, over someone else who knows how to abide by the rule of the law? Unless you have some other redeeming qualities that will prove you are the better choice, then it will be a problem....

The one way I can think of getting around this is to avoid jobs with application forms. If you apply to places that ask for a resume and cover letter you can probably get interviews easier and if the matter comes up, you'll be able to explain it in person vs. having people make damaging assumptions because of an X on a page. As far as I know you are not legally obligated to disclose your criminal records on a cover letter or resume, so this would be a better avenue to be able to defend yourself.

One issue will be if you are bondable or not. With things like theft, some times you can no longer be bondable. I do not know if it is for all theft or just grand theft, but either way this could put you at risk because of the nature of the crime. It isn't bad, per se, because you still have options but you might be limited in career choices because not being bondable means you cannot handle money. This comes up at places like Wal-Mart. So you don't have to be very high on the food chain to be negatively affected if you aren't bondable. I don't know if it means you simply can't work on cash or if you can't be a managers OR if it means you can't work there at all; but I imagine you could probably do things like work as an overnight stocking person at Wal-Mart because there is no money involved. If you are not bondable, you probably cannot be an accountant, a bank teller, work in finance, insurance, or manage peoples investments. But this also means you probably cannot be a waiter, a cashier, a manager in a store, hotel or otherwise. It might also affect you if you want to be a teacher, I don't know why because I only know that being bondable means you can't handle money, I don't know all of the conditions and why or if things like teaching matter - for example, if you own a private business I don't think your business will be seized because of it. I also think that a lot of companies might allow people access to the cash register any how, such as at auto shops or construction companies. A lot of people who are not bondable end up working as mechanics, construction workers and in other positions where money is not a primary focus on their position. I am not sure if this is something that will affect you so this is my heads up.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Last edited by Always *; October 24th 2014 at 03:59 PM.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread