TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Your_Friend Offline
Average Joe

Name: Ibrahim aka Ibiii

SAT Exam - October 21st 2014, 06:27 PM

Hi.
So I am having my SAT exam in December. I am an Asian student. I want to pursue my higher studies in Ivy universities like Harvard, MIT or Yale . I am preparing for the SAT exam. I am a bright student. Well my parents do support me. They tell me that if I got into a good university of Ivy league, then I should go abroad for studies or else get into a local university. Or maybe in universities which are near like in Dubai or India.

Well the costs in such good universities is very high. My parents are like willing to pay if I got admission into them but they would have to sell there property or even take
loan to pay the fees. But is it worth it? Like if I studied in world's top university, would I get a good job with a good salary?
I would just like to know about your suggestions.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: SAT Exam - October 21st 2014, 07:42 PM

The Ivy League is a nice goal to have, but they are EXTREMELY hard to get into and even then, there are no guarantees. While reputation of your school is somewhat important, your degree will still be a degree regardless of the school it comes from, it isn't any more or less valid based on the reputation of the school that issued it. I'm not going to tell you not to try for an ivy league school if that's what you want, but if it doesn't work out, things will still be okay, and even if it does, that doesn't guarantee you a good job with a certain salary, you'll be competing for jobs with everyone else. Whether the reputation of the school you went to gives you an advantage really depends on the employer and there's no way to know that ahead of time.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: SAT Exam - October 22nd 2014, 05:56 PM

Hi Ibrahim,

Iím not too sure on international universities, but it is quite common for students to take out loans to help pay for tuition and accommodation.

Itís great that you have high ambitions to get into an Ivy League university, but like Katie said, it can be difficult, so I guess itís good to have a backup plan.

Whether or not studying in an expensive university is worth it, depends on lots of things. What are you hoping to study? Some careers may look very appealing in terms of earnings, but the demand for applicants in these careers may be either low or fiercely competitive.

Although you may get a good degree from a good university, what people often overlook is extra activities and work experience. Being able to have other interests and have work experience, related to your chosen career path, or just any type of job, will also help you get into a good university as well as pursuing your career in the future, as it helps make you Ďstand outí from other applicants and so increasing your chances of success.

There really is no guarantee as to whether being in the top university guarantees you a top job with a good salary. Perhaps you could research what happens to graduates after they leave these top universities, to get a rough idea of how many get into employment? Here in the UK, this is one of the things we are told to look for, before choosing a university, as some universities can help you get into employment after you graduate.

Best of luck!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Your_Friend Offline
Average Joe

Name: Ibrahim aka Ibiii

Re: SAT Exam - October 22nd 2014, 07:57 PM

Oh thank you. I have already registered for SAT exam though. And I am studying for it.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: SAT Exam - October 23rd 2014, 09:22 AM

Are you in the United States?

My advice is to look at "public" universities in the states if you want to study there. An Ivy League education does not guarantee a job with a high salary. It may help with connections but in the long run it's more important you select a major that has good career prospects.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: SAT Exam - October 24th 2014, 02:39 PM

I feel like you can get an equally good education by NOT attending an Ivy league school. I feel like that, in the real world, it does not give you such an advantage that it is worth risking your families financial security for. Especially because, let's say you study journalism, even at an Ivy league level, journalism isn't going to fetch you such a high income to make it worth it.

Even something like medicine and engineering, sure, MIT would be really good for engineering but that's about the only school to which I could see it maybe making a difference but lots of other schools will be just as good and won't drive your family into debt.

Also, I would high consider your English proficiency. You seem to type really well in English, so I am guessing that you are pretty fluent, but I have a number of students from India in my class (the way you describe your situation I am guessing you are also from South East Asia or Pakistan). A few of them speak really good English - I would say 4 of them are navigating without a problem, 2 of them are struggling a little bit with English, however, 1 of the girls I don't why she is here or how she even got in, her English is pretty bad (like her "fluency" seems pretty basic and not very proficient, my French is probably as good as her English, which doesn't say a lot cause I am very bad at French), it is horrible to have to work with her and she misunderstands even simple sentences. It makes any conversation with her take twice as long and you still get the impression that she isn't catching everything which is very stressful and upsetting when you have to work with her.... For the 3 girls who struggle, seeing how it works for them, I would be very careful going to anything Ivy league because these schools are even more demanding than a community college like where we currently attending, and their grades are being negatively affected by it - like I am doing better than they are because English is my first language and I can thus communicate better and I don't make mistakes because I didn't know how to interpret subtle nuances and grammatical things. If you aren't extremely comfortable and fluent in English and you will struggle, it will possibly compromise your grades and this makes an Ivy league education useless to you because it is counter productive if you will not get good grades along with the prestigious education. So I would almost recommend even living in Canada, the USA, Britain etc, for a year or so to make sure you are comfortable with the language before pursuing high education if you are not positive about your comfort level with the language

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread