TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

No idea what I want to do with my life - October 22nd 2014, 11:05 PM

I genuinely don't know anymore. I was thinking of doing something involving Psychology but I've come to the conclusion that I hate learning case studies >.> I hate it. I have a terrible memory and I just find trying to remember things off by heart boring.

I'm not good at anything really. I'm now thinking of maybe doing something I.T. related but everyone's telling me it's boring as sin.

I'm 23, I should have some idea by now

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: No idea what I want to do with my life - October 23rd 2014, 11:36 AM

Hey Ceilidh,

I donít know much about Psychology, but Iím sure that a career involving Psychology wouldnít involve memorising case studiesÖitís just the learning part of it right?

I.T. related is a good idea, since thereís probably quite a few different jobs going and itís always good to have I.T. skills wherever you work. Canít comment on if itís boring or not though, since I have no experience in this area.

Itís ok though to not really know what to do at our age. Iím 21 (22 in December) and even though I know I want to go into teaching, Iím kind of far off from achieving it

Perhaps it might help to check out the National Careers Service for ideas. And depending on where you live in the UK, Careers Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

All the best!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: No idea what I want to do with my life - October 23rd 2014, 10:39 PM

Ok if you like IT, do that. My boyfriend is an accountant and I think that would be as boring as sin yet he loves it.... Don't let other people tell you what is enjoyable and what isn't. All that matters is that you enjoy it.

If in doubt, get part time jobs or volunteer experience to figure it out.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: No idea what I want to do with my life - October 23rd 2014, 11:55 PM

Volunteer experience, part-time work, work shadowing, those sort of things are wonderful. There are also all sorts of career interest inventories on the web, where you answer a series of questions about what interests you (or not) and they suggest career paths.

If you're looking at further study, maybe where you want to go will have some student services you can access as a future student.

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: No idea what I want to do with my life - October 24th 2014, 11:55 AM

But the thing is I found AS Psychology irritating enough, God knows how I will find A2 or degree level :/ I understood it but I just can't remember all that information >.>

I don't find computing boring myself. I find it easy. If I'm unsure about how to do something I can just simply google it/look on youtube and find out and then I can just do it. I find that FAR easier than remembering facts and numbers.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Matt_Davis Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Matthew

Re: No idea what I want to do with my life - October 26th 2014, 09:00 PM

I think it's normal. I went trough the same. I think you need to figure it out by yourself no pression cause it's worst. Try to be productive and focus on things you really like.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Sjsh304 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: No idea what I want to do with my life - October 28th 2014, 10:53 AM

I can totally relate! I am going through the same thing right now!

Honestly, what is helping me the most is just entertaining different ideas of what I could do with my life and ruling them out by how likely I am to actually enjoy it or want to follow through with it.

Talking to my advisor helped too. Granted, he doesn't know me as well as my friends but just him asking me questions regarding what I want to do helped.

Talking to friends who really know you can help you too. I know I always ask my friends for their opinions when I come up with a new idea of something I might want to do.

But yeah, it's totally normal. A lot of people go through this.

Good luck!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
BreathingIn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: No idea what I want to do with my life - November 9th 2014, 12:36 AM

There's a great quote by Ricky Gervais that says, "The best advice I've ever received is, 'No one else knows what they're doing either.”.

This is SO true!!

We all think that everyone has their life together. We're sitting in class, on a bus, walking around a grocery store, and we're watching the people around us assuming they're all perfectly settled in their lives. This is one of the biggest lies we tell ourselves.

Point is - No pressure. There is no time limit to decide what you want to do. Just go with the times and what you think you're interested in.

I didn't know what I wanted to do when I started college. I did a major in Journalism because it was something I was slightly interested in. Not even a year later, I hated it and found out through other people on campus, that I wanted to do Business. And now for many years, I've loved Business!

You never know where life is going to lead you. Just try something, go with what you think you like, and maybe you'll end up loving it, or hating it but figuring out something better.

Like the quote says, no one really knows what they're doing either. There's so many people waking up every morning and despising going to a job they hate. You might see this person in a grocery store and think "Wow, he must have it all". You just never know.

So really, it's totally fine to not know! Take your time and best wishes!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: No idea what I want to do with my life - November 10th 2014, 04:03 AM

I switched from psych to nursing around that age. I would look into IT but research it to see if it would be useful in the area you want to live. With schools that turn out many IT professionals, it can be hard to get jobs in IT unless you are willing to move. Is there a specific field with IT that you would like to do?

(#10 (permalink)) Old
RiviŤre Offline
Par la riviŤre
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: No idea what I want to do with my life - November 10th 2014, 06:12 PM

*2 weeks later* Yes, yes, complete yes. I tried to do AS Psychology and I ended up getting a U because I couldn't remember all of the case studies either. I remembered a lot of everything else but the damned studies.

I've done IT since I was little. I took it as a GCSE in school and later went on to do it in college for a few years. Although I passed with a triple distinction, it was really boring for me because I'd lost the passion for IT I'd once had.

I think a lot of people tend to find out what they want to do in life by following some sort of passion. I didn't really know what I wanted to do so went back to college, took 4 AS Levels and I ended up finding something I enjoy a lot which is photography. College is a great way to find out what you like and dislike, especially since full time in Wales is free (or at least the part where I live!) so it allows for 3-4 AS Levels and to see which you like above the rest.

Since I'd found I've come to enjoy photography, my counsellor suggested taking it further by going to university which is a big option for me and I do kind of like the idea of it. It's just reaching the point where I'm actually able to go since right now there's a lot of blockages preventing me from fulfilling what I'd like to do.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
O'Nell Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Nell

Re: No idea what I want to do with my life - November 19th 2014, 12:46 PM

First of all you should understand what you what to do in your life. Maybe you have some hobbies that can become your job. Don't be upset that you don't know what to do in 23, you still have much time to change your life! Much worse if you were 45 and you hate your job. But I think people can change their lives in any age, they just need to have a strong desire for this. Just sit and think what do you love to do, what gives you a passion and make you happy. I'm sure you will find the answer!

Chief editor on Top-Writers-Reviews.com

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: No idea what I want to do with my life - November 19th 2014, 03:59 PM

My hobbies are lame :') I like watching TV/crap on youtube, building houses on The Sims 3/4 and drawing and I'm not even very good at drawing.

Sarah, thank God it's not just me forgetting the psychology studies. All I could remember off by heart was Lockhart's levels of processing (that's because I thought of Lockhart off Harry Potter's memory charms ), Ainsworth's strange situation experiment and the case study of Genie. I had a D in the one exam and a U in the other >.>

Closed Thread