TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
JyeScarecrow Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Julian Bandhan

Unhappy How do I know that it's worth stepping forward? - October 25th 2014, 10:42 PM

Hey guys, sorry to bother
I'm sorta sitting on a ledge right now, as it concerns my future life,
I am studying for an associates degree in Physics at the University of Guyana, and well, its the closest thing to physics they offer, and my dream is to be a physicist, and well, as a guyanese, chances of something that big... are well, highly improbable, very highly improbable, I'm not giving up, i wanted to be the youngest with a Doctorate(impossible, now that i'm 18 and only in my first year), just well, going to other countries requires alot of money, and other requirements, such as from immigration policies etc. and my parents, have done their best to give me as much as they can afford.
They have been working in St.Maarten(really nice island, air is amazing) just so i can get better, while (for high school) i was staying with my mom's sister. After highschool, my mom's sister and her husband(they're a bit of money chasers), they kicked me out... well the things happened, i actually left, because I got a part time job TEACHING PHYSICS at my old high school, and they said I was abandoning their business and I betrayed them, i never wanted to be their heir to their business or be their whatever they lied and said, and i choose to keep the new part time job, and they said leave, so i left. Because of that, my parents sorta lost 8 million guyana dollars(they convinced my parents to by a 16 million guyana dollar house which they had power of attorney over,about $80,000 USD), which they told my parents would be their retirement home,(they needed the assets and support also for loans for their own business and other stores and stuff they wanna start) and well when i left, they cut connections with my parents, and abandoned helping my parents with the house. Well, now that that's over with, I'm staying by a family friend's house and attending university, and teaching(which is rather fun*knock on wood, and ofc, i'm making alot of mistakes here, I have a forgetfulness and carelessness, and lack of responsibility. I try really hard, but the mistakes still climb up, like i leave stains on the kitchen counter and forget to wipe them, or i leave the shower curtain in the bathroom open(one bathroom house), and no matter how hard i try, i keep screwing up and get scolded for it alot.
My parents offered to put me in the university dormitory, which i dont mind, cause i also am not comfortable, here(don't really have a proper bed, and am unable to study and do work) just, the money, my parents focused they're earnings on the house, which is gone now(and i swear, i will make it up to them) so they focus their earnings on me now, just, well, the university offers only an associate degree... what can i do with that, i dont know how i can move on afterwards, cause, there is no need for physicist, so nowhere in my country offers scholarship in the field. it's practically hopeless, not that i'm complaining, but it's the reality. I just wanna know,
How do i know it'll be worth it? i'm not giving up of physics, and i can(and prolly will have to) switch to mechanical engineering, but its not a physicist. How do i know that keeping up this fight for physics will get me where i want to be, or atleast close... when it just seems so hopeless. i'm not giving up, just wanna know...

Sorry for the long post, and for using up your time, and thank you for reading through that. ^_^

Quote:
"All Will Be Well"
-Blue Lantern Corp/The Flash

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Re: How do I know that it's worth stepping forward? - October 25th 2014, 11:59 PM

Hey there,

Have you thought about applying for any sorts of financial aid at your university? I don't know much about your area, but in almost every university, there are possible ways to get financial aid. The best way is to either check out the website or talk to an advisor about it and most of the time, they usually know.

I know a ton of people who live in a university dorm. At first it can be a little scary but its actually a lot of fun especially getting to know more people. It can also be helpful in studying since if there's a common class among you and your roommates, you all could study for quizzes and exams together.

But you sound like you're on the right track with your part time job and studying at university. It will be hard, but don't give up. I'm sure everything will work out at the end for you.

I hope this helps and wish you all the very best!

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

Closed Thread