TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Pre-Med? - November 23rd 2014, 12:53 AM

So, I'm a freshman in college about to finish up my first semester. My major is Public Health and I have registered for classes for next semester that will fulfill a lot of Public Health requirements...

But I'm stuck. Ever since I was little I wanted to be a doctor, and I went against that and went to Public Health because I thought THAT was my calling. But now I'm siting here thinking to myself, "Should I take Pre-Med? Should I take Pre-Med?" and I'm seriously debating switching my major to Pre-Med but I DON'T KNOW.

I don't know if I could handle the math involved or any aspect, I really don't know.

Ugh, if anyone's in Pre-Med here, helpppppp.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
mockingbirdalert
Not a n00b

Re: Pre-Med? - November 23rd 2014, 06:14 AM

Hey
I have Pre- Med subjects and let me tell you its not easy , not at all, as a child i always wanted to become a doctor just like my daddy and brother i wanted to help people out and stuff i still do but im thinking now is it possible? Im not saying you shouldnt take it , you can but its not easy at all. Im doing my A levels its a Cambridge international board - basically its an Advance level but what my teachers tell me right now is that in University its nothing as compared to what youre studying right now, you start from scratch and what not, see here in Pakistan, we become doctors in about 5 years maximum, we get our degrees and afterwards its your choice of doing house jobs, going abroad to do residency and etc, now in abroad first you have to do your BSc and then you get to do M.B.B.S or B.D.S. what ever youre choosing so that means you have to study 4 years of Bachelor of sciences and then you get to come in the real thing , isnt that tough? you need to study nine years to get that degree you want.
Physics is all critical thinking its very practical , even though you have formulas to memorize so you can pass the subject but for us girls its not a good subject tbh!
Chemistry, is a subject i love alot, you need to practice and practice go through the notes again and again, and unfortunately it has maths in it TOO -_-
Biology, is the best subject, its all about human anatomy and plants anatomy too, you need to have a good memory for this subject!
AND MATHS IS JUST UGH..
Imagine yourself studying for nine years and even after that you need to study more to get the Profession you choose.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Pre-Med? - November 23rd 2014, 07:51 AM

I'm not pre-med, but I know how difficult it can be to decide whether or not your major is the right one for you. The best advice that I can give you is to think about it long-term. I'm not sure what your career plan would be in public health, but compare that to a career as a doctor. Which can you see yourself doing for the rest of your life? Which do you want to be doing for the rest of your life? Where is your passion? While it's possible to change your profession after college, it's a bit of a pain in the ass. Thinking about it in the long-term will (hopefully) prevent that from happening.

As far as the actual course work goes, don't stress about that too much right now. If you decide to go the pre-med route, I know you'll put in the effort to learn the material well. There are always tutoring options as well. Don't let the classes you will have to take be your deciding factor. Decide where your passion is and go from there.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Pre-Med? - November 29th 2014, 05:40 AM

I've decided that next week sometime I'll make Premed advising and talk to them. I will take some of the Premed requirements as electives to see if I can handle them first, and if I can I will make the switch and obtain a minor or double major in Public Health depending on what I am allowed. Since I've solved my problem, I'm closing my thread.

Closed Thread