TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
spycrab Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy job stress - December 19th 2014, 05:25 AM

So I've been working at a fast food restaurant and I'm really having a lot of trouble. For one thing, we get a lot of cranky customers. I usually have to help most of them out, as other employees often get called into the kitchen to help with orders. I really have a hard time being around people (I get extremely nervous, irritated, and anxious) especially talking, but I really step out of my comfort zone to make a customers experience a great one. I have been yelled at and verbally abused by customers so much that it has really started to take a toll on my interactions in school and other social events. I can't stand people anymore. I'm tired of being yelled at and disrespected by strangers, and recently I have been crying and stressing about it after work. My boss has confirmed that during these customer fits that I do nothing wrong and handle then well. I'm sick of it. I don't know what to do. I know most jobs are like this, but are there ones that are better and less stressful maybe? I need advice.

Last edited by spycrab; December 19th 2014 at 05:41 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: job stress - December 19th 2014, 05:47 AM

Hello! I moved this to Education & Careers sine you're talking more about a job than anything else.

I've never had a job, but I'd say that yeah, there are some jobs that people love and some that people hate. My sister used to work at a grocery store's customer service and she'd get cranky customers who threw things at her and cussed! However, now she works customer service for Best Buy and she LOVES it there and she talks to mostly decent people. Of course, you'll still get the cranky ones sometimes!

Also remember there are other jobs where you may not have to interact with customers as much. I'm again using the grocery store as an example but for instance, you may be able to stock shelves where you may only have to answer questions about things like where an item is. Or, one of my friends actually was a receptionist so she basically just transferred calls and things of that nature.

So in other words, there are jobs where you won't have to interact with people that much, or where you may interact with them in a different way. There will even be jobs with fewer cranky people. It all depends on where you are working to be honest, but don't let this discourage you. You'll find a job you really like!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
O'Nell Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Nell

Re: job stress - December 19th 2014, 12:45 PM

I think you just choose the wrong type of job. You don't like to work with people and you have to step out your comfort zone, of course you feel awful and aggressive. You should leave this job or you will have a depression and health problems. You know there are other jobs, which don't need so much communication with people and they are part-time. Here they are:

1)Academic tutor (if you have knowledge in some subject you can share it with other people)
2)Babysitter (if you love children and have huge patience )
3)Office assistant (it maybe hard, but it depends on your boss)
4)Freelance writer (if you love writing and blogging, you can make a great money on this )
5)Teaching assistant (sometimes professors need help )

I hope these ideas will be useful for you

Chief editor on Top-Writers-Reviews.com

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: job stress - December 19th 2014, 01:24 PM

Hi there,

I worked at Panera Bread for a while, so mean customers was my specialty. They blame you for their problems, they're impatient, expect perfection, and see you as sub-human because you're behind the counter.

It's not easy to just get up and quit and find another job. Trust me...still unemployed. It would be hard to explain in an interview that you quit this job because of the customers, because the employer wants to know that you can work with all types of people, including nasty customers.

So, that being said, try to get in the mindset that it's THEIR problem for being rude to you, NOT yours. Picture this: they just got a flat tire, it's raining, they have kids in tow, and the restaurant runs out of their favorite item. They're *already* having a bad day, so naturally they're not going to react nicely. Again, that's THEIR own issue. If you can think, no, they're not yelling at me, they're just having a bad day, then I think it'll be easier. It never hurts to be kind which I'm sure you know.

At the end of the day, who looks bad, you or the customer? It's rough to get out of an introverted shell (I feel the same) to interact with customers, but you will get used to what I call acting extroverted.

If issues like this continue to happen (where the other employees abandon you with bad customers), then politely let the manager know that it is a problem. However, I would not advise telling the manager that you cannot handle the customers, because most of the point of the job is customer service.

Good luck!

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

Closed Thread