TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Listelacruz Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Thomas

I waited too long - January 13th 2015, 08:06 PM

So... I'm in the second semester of senior year. I've done pretty well in my classes this year... but for the past several years of my life I let depression get in the way and I couldn't keep my grades up. The depression this year has been the worst but I was only able to do well because of fear. I've become afraid of what to do after school.

So I brought my grades up very well this year. I maintained a high A across all classes. But it's too late. My GPA isn't high enough to really go anywhere. College is pretty much out of the question. So I don't know what to do. I've seriously disappointed my parents and I don't know what to do.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Re: I waited too long - January 13th 2015, 08:51 PM

Hey there,

I'm sorry to hear depresion has affected you, I can relate to it as well. Anyways, grades aren't the only thing that colleges look at for acceptance. They look at other things as well such as SAT/ACT scores, and extracurricular activities. On top of that, they look at you as an overall person and what you do.

I'm sure you will find colleges that will accept you. Have you ever considered talking to your guidance counselor at school? I would recommend you to do that since they give really good advice that is suited for you. Sometimes they will even sit down with you and help you find colleges that are in your range. You will find places, trust me.

I hope this helps and wish you all the very best!

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Satine Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I waited too long - January 13th 2015, 08:55 PM

Hi Listel,
First of all, I want to say that you've had depression - that's a painful enough experience. And yet you are giving yourself a hard time because of it. I don't think anybody would blame you for looking after yourself, being kinder to yourself at this time. You will always be at your best if you look after yourself, if you remember to nurture yourself.
Being driven by fear is also really no joke. You know, there are people out there who have had no plan at all for what to do after they left school and they have done fine. In fact, I didn't - at the time I needed to get through each day one at a time and only got myself together enough to get a career in the last few years, at around the age of 28. I'm now 33 and just coming to the end of my training. I'm looking forward to having a 'nice' job rather than doing more admin and office assistant work, but that admin work has paid my bills and taught me some valuable things. I don't like the phrase 'don't worry', but, you know... you don't have to worry!
All of that said, well done on the A classes. Just remember that they are never the full picture. You will be fine. You will be fine.
I have a couple of questions: you mentioned that you don't have the chance to go to college now, but do you actually *want* to, on its own merits? I mean, were you excited about going or did you aim for it because you felt you 'should'?
Secondly, how have your parents responded to this? I just want to check how much of it has been your own anxiety and how much of it is pressure they've actually put on you. You don't have to answer any of my questions, least of all this one, but it might be worth wondering.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: I waited too long - January 16th 2015, 05:52 AM

Look at community colleges. They are cheaper and they accept a lot lower GPA. In fact, I think some do not have standards for GPA at all. I went to one of the best state universities in the USA due to a scholarship and I hated it. I ended up going to a community college and loved it. Community colleges are not that bad.

Plus you can usually transfer into most state schools after you have shown you can complete some college coursework with a decent GPA.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Towers Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I waited too long - January 16th 2015, 01:20 PM

Hey,

Sorry to hear about your struggles. I had the same thing all through school. I know it seems like you have no options, but you do. Like Lelola said, have you ever considered a community college? My high school history was very questionable, but due to some things other than my GPA, I got accepted into a pretty good university. I hated it and ended up dropping out for a semester. I went to community college and it was the best decision I have ever made. Even though my high school experience was awful, I am able to work, go to college full time, and my grades are extremely good. Even though I never thought I'd go anywhere after high school, I now have so many more options available to me. Be proud of those A's you got and maybe look into community college. If you have the means to do so, I would still apply to some colleges/universities I wanted to attend. I know some people that got accepted into one of the country's best schools with nothing more than a 3.0 and hardly any extracurriculars. It is also to be noted that a lot of colleges have essays to write or a place to explain any adversities that should be considered during the application/acceptance process. That is what helped me get into the first university I mentioned. Once you get into somewhere, look to maintain decent grades then transfer. At that point, they look at college grades, not high school.

I guess another thing I should mention: you mentioned you've disappointed your parents... but just make sure you do what's best for you, and not necessarily what your parents want for you. It looks like you still have a bright future of ahead of you and you haven't given up even with dealing with something as difficult as depression, which is awesome. You should be proud of that.

Anyway, best of luck to you. Let me know if you have any questions or anything.

Closed Thread