TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Angry My job don't bother to send me my schedule... - January 20th 2015, 11:06 PM

Sorry, this isn't as long as it looks!

I've been working as a waitress in a café for a few months. I'm in college Mon-Wed so I don't work those days, and the week's roster (schedule) begins on a Thursday. When I started someone would always text a picture of the roster to me by Tuesday evening. Occasionally if I hadn't received it by Wednesday night I'd text my supervisor and she'd send it on to me.

However it seems like I'm having to do this more and more often, and it's like they're just forgetting that I work there. I took some time off for exams but told them I could work from the 11th - when I asked someone for the roster I was off for the rest of the week.

The same thing happened last week - I heard nothing from them and when I eventually rang in on THURSDAY after texting two people twice I hadn't been rostered at all for the week. I will very nicely give my boss the benefit of the doubt here and presume she assumed I was still doing exams, and January hours are low.

However, what will I do if no one sends me a roster by tomorrow evening? Legally they should give me 24 hours notice for a shift, but they haven't seemed too bothered by that before. I feel like I really shouldn't have to keep pestering them (and finding out my weekend hours on potentially no notice) when it would take them five minutes to send me the schedule. If I was dating someone who was treating me like this I'd have stopped bothering weeks ago.

It's now Tuesday night and I don't know if they'll want me to come in and work Thurs/Fri/Sat/Sun, and I have a very strong feeling I still won't know in 24 hours. I'm getting tired of this. Would it be awful if I just waited for them to get in touch with me? Even if they rang me on Thursday afternoon to ask why I wasn't in work?

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: My job don't bother to send me my schedule... - January 22nd 2015, 06:22 PM

Really? I have written this post several times in an attempt to sound nicer.

Anyway, it is your responsibility to look at the schedule. It is considered "notification" if they post the schedule. It is not their fault if you cannot come into the store on your day off and check the schedule.

Also, I know you usually get your coworkers to check the schedule for you but it is not their responsibility. You cannot place the blame on them. In fact, I would be annoyed if a coworker did that constantly.

It is not your supervisor's responsibility to call you with the schedule. In fact, it is nice of them to read you the schedule over the phone when you call. Most places will tell you to come in and view the schedule as it's your responsibility to get the schedule.

It sucks you have school when the schedule is posted, but it's not your job's fault that you cannot come in and see the schedule.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: My job don't bother to send me my schedule... - January 22nd 2015, 07:26 PM

Really? I get your point, but I don't feel like it's that weird that I expect them to send it to me... as it tends to be made so soon before they expect us to work (max 2 days notice) a few people wouldn't get a chance to see it and would need to have it sent to them - there's only 8 wait staff, and some live very far away. How could they expect people to know when they're working otherwise?

We're obviously just used to different working environments! Thanks for the input anyway.

I went in yesterday evening after college to find out I haven't been rostered for the weekend again. Oh well.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: My job don't bother to send me my schedule... - January 23rd 2015, 06:30 AM

It is very weird to be honest. No job I have worked ever made an effort to send the schedule. They posted it in a central location where the employees could look at it with the exception of a company that used an online scheduling system called Whentowork.com.

People know because they make an effort to come in and look at the schedule. The 24 hour notice would be the posting of the schedule.

If you leave the job and find a different job, don't expect them to send the schedule to you. It's part of being responsible.

Quote:
If I was dating someone who was treating me like this I'd have stopped bothering weeks ago.
And comments like that makes you seem entitled.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: My job don't bother to send me my schedule... - January 23rd 2015, 03:56 PM

Well it is true, I wouldn't put up with dating someone like that, but unfortunately a job isn't something I can be that choosy over :P

It's really not that weird here - everyone I've spoken to about it (IRL) is surprised that I get such inconveniently little notice for shifts. But in this country we do have a lot of laws surrounding the protection of the employee that I didn't see when I worked in the States last year, so maybe our differences of opinion on the matter is a cultural thing? (And perhaps that's why I sound 'entitled' - it's just what we're used to.) It is a high-class establishment as well that prides itself on its HR.

Rationally though, one of the other staff members lives 20 miles away. If management decided on Wednesday evening that they wanted her to work at 10 on Thursday morning, how otherwise would they expect her to turn up without letting her know by text?

Not looking to argue about the whole thing, we obviously have different experiences of working environments.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: My job don't bother to send me my schedule... - January 23rd 2015, 06:26 PM

I see what you're saying (and I live in the states haha) and I'm sorry this is happening. It seems tricky because it is a matter of other people letting you know so you need to depend on other people. I'm wondering if they aren't putting you on the schedule because there are enough workers? In which case I don't know why they wouldn't rotate so the shifts are distributed between everyone who has been hired. Is it possible you can speak to a higher-up andif tthey're not helpful, you may want to look into getting a new job.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: My job don't bother to send me my schedule... - January 23rd 2015, 08:26 PM

Yeah I was feeling sore at the thought that I might be the only person not being put on the roster but I found out two other people haven't been in since before New Year's either which made me feel a bit better. And if the silliness keeps up I may just leave the place.

Thanks

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: My job don't bother to send me my schedule... - January 24th 2015, 01:38 PM

They probably have a lot of people to manage, it's probably a "hassle" for them to have to remember to send you your schedule. They probably see it as being not their responsibility, which is technically true because it is your schedule. I've never had people send me my schedule automatically - I've always had to phone/text and be like "yo, when am I working?" I don't think a place of business is responsible to distributing the schedule to all of their employees once it has been made because that is time consuming (imagine having to send a schedule to 8+ people) and they probably have a lot of other things to do once the schedule has been created.

Additionally, if you typically ask different people to give you a schedule, depending on who's working, it's not a regular habit for a particular person to know that this is something they have to do. So if Sally always gave you your schedule, she'd probably know to give it to you. However, it sounds like it's not always the same person who tells you, so how are they to know if you've gotten if if Billy and Joe and Jane might have done the job for them?

It's not that I don't understand your frustrations, I'd be frustrated too, but I also totally understand how they're going to see this as being your responsibility to find out once the schedule is made, not theirs. I would be stressed out too. I am totally the type who needs a lot of structure in my life, and never knowing if I am working or not, when I am working, for how long, etc. would cause me a lot of anxiety because then I can never plan anything. So yeah, I'd be pissed too if I never knew, and then had to worry about how I was going to be informed of this to top it off.

Since you get such short notice of the schedule being distributed, and this is clearly a problem for you, then maybe you could talk to your boss about how employees are notified about the schedule. My suggestion would be to create an email list of all current employees, and then email the schedule. Most schedules are created on a computer nowadays because it's just kind of pathetic if they're writing it by hand, so it would be pretty easy to export that to a PDF and send it to an email list - that would take far less time than calling/texting everyone individually. However, if, for what ever reason, that is not feasible, then you might just have to let it go.

Honestly, I think you're probably just going to have to accept that you'll have to make a quick phone call on Tuesdays to find out what that weeks schedule is. I think what you might want to address first is the fact that you don't know if you're getting shifts or not. You might want to start by addressing that and just letting them know that you need to know your getting X number of shifts or hours per week as per your employment agreement. Most employers want to know how much you want to work (unless they're the ones who said "X # of hours") - either way, even if it was only ever verbal, you can usually go back and be like "yeah, so you promised me 20 hours a week, which hasn't been met, I am reliant on that money for what ever reason and I would like to discuss why this term isn't being met" and go from there. If that isn't satistfactory, then I would consider that grounds for leaving the position (far more than how you're told of the schedule) because we have "needs" that have to be met financially, and if your job isn't meeting the terms of employment, including the number of hours you were supposed to have, and trying to resolve it has no effect, then yeah, that's pretty legit, especially if it is compromising what ever financial need the job was meeting.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#9 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: My job don't bother to send me my schedule... - February 5th 2015, 12:45 PM

UPDATE: They have come to their senses and someone made a whatsapp group where a picture of our roster will hopefully be texted to all of us each week. Finally!

Closed Thread