TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LuckyCharmz Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Shannon

Thinking of switching positions... - January 23rd 2015, 08:15 PM

I've been with the company I work for almost a year. I started a part-time cashier in February 2014, and became full time in customer relations in September 2014. I've wanted nothing more than to enjoy my position here, but the longer I'm in my current position, the unhappier I seem to become.

By customer relations, I sit in a glassed in box, and answer phones all day. I work for a busy auto group, and ultimately, I accept about 700-1000 phone calls a day. In the beginning, it was great. I enjoyed working a set schedule, having weekends off to spend with family and friends, and to have stable employment.

Now, that I've been in the position for a few months, I've realized that I'm not happy in this position. I'd gladly apply for something else within the company, but there isn't anything open. I check our careers website at least once a week to see if something new has opened, but sadly, many of the women who work here have done so for years, and likely won't be going anywhere.

The best part of my job (besides the benefits and hours) is that I live very close. I accepted the position after I moved, so I guess I got lucky in that aspect. But, I don't want my happiness to be affected by a job that is close to home. I want to be in something that I enjoy...and I just don't enjoy this anymore.

I'd like opniions. Because it's no longer just about me anymore, I want to discuss it with my boyfriend, but I'm not sure how to bring it up in conversation. Esepcially since I'm thinking of going back to school full time, as well. In which case, would moving into a new position be the best idea? I just need some opinions.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Thinking of switching positions... - January 23rd 2015, 08:34 PM

I see what you're saying - there's good benefits to the job (it's close, and stable) but you feel you could be happier somewhere else. This is a classic follow your head or your heart situation I think.

I'm ultimately of the belief that if it's not making you happy - or, really, if it's making you unhappy - then you should move. But if it's not quite that simple a decision it might be worth thinking about for a while. If you've been there for almost 12 months, why not stick out the year, so at least it'll look better on your CV. You could set yourself a goal to save up to which might help before going back to school, and when you've reached that amount let yourself move on to something else?

It sounds like you've been doing the right thing by looking anyway. Is there someone in the company like a supervisor that you can voice your thoughts to about moving around? If they knew you wanted to switch they might be able to look into available positions even if the company aren't outwardly recruiting.

I also think it would be good to discuss this with your boyfriend; maybe mention that you've been looking around. I'm sure he'll want you to do what's best for you as well.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
LuckyCharmz Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Shannon

Re: Thinking of switching positions... - January 23rd 2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
I see what you're saying - there's good benefits to the job (it's close, and stable) but you feel you could be happier somewhere else. This is a classic follow your head or your heart situation I think.

I'm ultimately of the belief that if it's not making you happy - or, really, if it's making you unhappy - then you should move. But if it's not quite that simple a decision it might be worth thinking about for a while. If you've been there for almost 12 months, why not stick out the year, so at least it'll look better on your CV. You could set yourself a goal to save up to which might help before going back to school, and when you've reached that amount let yourself move on to something else?

It sounds like you've been doing the right thing by looking anyway. Is there someone in the company like a supervisor that you can voice your thoughts to about moving around? If they knew you wanted to switch they might be able to look into available positions even if the company aren't outwardly recruiting.

I also think it would be good to discuss this with your boyfriend; maybe mention that you've been looking around. I'm sure he'll want you to do what's best for you as well.
I'm not happy with my current manager. She's a wonderful person, but as a manager, she's not good. I've bounced around managers here a few times, and she's by the far the worst I've had yet. So, I can't talk to her. But, my manager's boss, the director of business intelligence, who is also technically in charge of my department, is a wonderful listener and is the one who started the department I currently work in. If I was having concerns, or looking to switch positions, I know he'd be more than willing to help me.

I think you might be right. I'm keeping my options open, and if I could, I'd love to stay within the automotive industry. I love the business and accounting aspect of working in automotive, but finding an open position is difficult. At any dealership.

Closed Thread