TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

What to do in this situation? - February 6th 2015, 01:17 AM

So, last semester towards the end I asked my advisor if there was any way to get a class waived. She told me who to email and I did. I can't find the date I sent it on anymore (it disappeared from my folder o.o) but my advisor said that this semester it'd be fine to send another. I did on January 17th. Still no response. I know that we've had a bit of a hectic few months with snow days and delayed openings, but there were still definitely plenty of days where school was open where he could have responded to me.

Should I ask my advisor for his number and call him? What should I say, either in the call or on his voicemail?

What if he doesn't return my phone call? What do I do then?

If he doesn't return the call should I take it as a no? It's a bit of an unprofessional way of saying no though. :/

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: What to do in this situation? - February 6th 2015, 01:35 AM

Is there a way you can get his office hours and office room number and go see him in person? I think that's probably the best way for logistics like this. Some people are still oldies and hate using technology based communication :PP You can tell them apart because they'll always nag about how things are confusing these days.
It does seem unprofessional. Calling is an option too but then you might be put on hold and passed around to different people, just to find out that they referred you back to the person you initially called. That's bureaucracy for you.
I hope it goes okay. If anything you could try contacting his colleague?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: What to do in this situation? - February 6th 2015, 05:19 AM

I would try email again and writing something like "important: (subject of message" or putting a flag on the message that it is a high priority message.
Sometimes emails get missed unintentionally and/or the person is not very tech savvy so they tend to ignore all emails except those that are essential (not the way to be at a college full of tech savvy students but it happens everywhere).
Also reading your school's student guide or academic catalog will let you know the guidelines/regulations in relation to getting a class waived.
If he does not answer the email by this time next week, it would be best to visit the office he works in and make an appointment.
If he has his own office (ie. no secretary or other administrative staff) there may be a sheet on his door where you can schedule a time.
If neither of these options work you should probably find someone else to speak with.
Hope this helps and that things get resolved soon.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: What to do in this situation? - February 6th 2015, 05:44 AM

I would actually check your transcript first to see if the action was taken and they just never told you, then email him again with the specific details of who you are, which class, and what semester. Give him a week to 10 days and then contact your advisor again if nothing changes.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: What to do in this situation? - February 6th 2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I would actually check your transcript first to see if the action was taken and they just never told you, then email him again with the specific details of who you are, which class, and what semester. Give him a week to 10 days and then contact your advisor again if nothing changes.
No action was taken on my degree evaluation.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: What to do in this situation? - February 10th 2015, 12:06 AM

I've decided to send another email to my professor since she'd be able to give me his phone number. How's this sound for an email?

Dr. [Advisor's name here]:

I emailed Dr. [Person I emailed here] a while ago. I believe I copied you into this email. However, he still did not respond.

I hate to bother you again, but would the appropriate action to take now be to call him? If so, what is the number he is best reached at? I really would like to get all of this sorted out soon.

Thank you,
Desiree Rondeau

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: What to do in this situation? - February 23rd 2015, 01:16 PM

My advisor is contacting registrar for me and will let me know what she finds out. So I'm closing this.

Closed Thread