TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Offering my services for free - how to put it on a resume? - March 8th 2015, 08:38 PM

I am graduating in a month and a half, more or less, and I am so worried. I haven't learned as much at my internship as I had anticipated and I had really counted on getting A LOT of experience there to get a job because I wanted hands on stuff.

Now I think I will have to volunteer in order to make up for it, but it is difficult to find people/places who just need a random public relations / marketing / graphic design project done for them without a deadline because I am in school and have an internship, a serious relationship, must work out etc. I need flexibility until I finish my course work.

So far one of my friends needs a logo for his photography business that he's trying to get off the ground. I offered to make a ton of stuff for him and explained that I really need the experience so I'd be happy to put a PR/marketing plan together for him (really, he'd be doing me a favour). But technically, he asked me. That's how I got the idea to do things for others.

I have a few friends who are self employed (e.g. personal trainers, massage therapists, photographers, authors) and I am trying to find out how I can approach them about making stuff for them without it being really weird. I can make cool stuff though, like a website (not the coding, more like the branding with words and images), brochures, thank you cards, books, social media plans, business cards, etc. on top of general formal things (e.g. SEO, getting and keeping clients etc.)

I guess I have a few general questions

1) would it bother you if a random friend, who you may or may not be close to, asked if you want any free PR work done?
2) an would you feel obligated to say yes?
3) how would I even add this into my resume? It's not exactly hired by anyone so it's not volunteer or work experience, but it is experience.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Offering my services for free - how to put it on a resume? - March 8th 2015, 10:36 PM

I don't have much advice but I'll try answering the questions best I could.

1. I would not be bothered at all. I'd just tell you either yes or sorry but I don't need any PR and if I know someone who will I'll refer them to you.
2. I would not feel obligated but I would also want to help out as much as I can IF I can so I would spread the word and probably exchange phone numbers or something or a business card
3. Maybe on the resume you can add reference contact information. Just a few who are willing. Businesses would be even a better choice for this.

Is there a way you can get formal volunteer experience though? Because informal paid experience sounds okay but informal volunteer sounds a little shady for YOU like you don't want people giving you a ton of things to get done and like exploiting you or something....that's my experience with informal volunteer work that I did mostly as a kid so even worse because they didn't really give me a choice to say yes or no and I wasn't the one offering.

See if you can get a job through word of mouth that pays. Maybe a negotiated- less- than -ideal-I- can't- really- live -off -of- this- for- now- kind- of- pay but still one that pays.

It is something I wouldn't have thought of myself but I can imagine my dad saying this to me if I wanted to do free work. Which I did in the past. And that's my natural instinct to do but it is also naive I guess. Just my thought on this...I do get the whole wanting experience first type of thing but see at least for the businesses if you can get paid instead of volunteering. And for friends it can be free. Something like that.

Also, did you go to college for this? or do you have any type of education that goes towards this skill? If so, then you invested time and money and though you're not very experienced you do have some knowledge and should be paid for spending the time on it. Maybe you can make like a chart that for every type of task depending of difficulty that you decide on the pay. Maybe not per an hour because you don't want a deadline...but something like a compensation for the entire task for that said person or business.

Hope this helps at least a little.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Offering my services for free - how to put it on a resume? - March 10th 2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always * View Post

1) would it bother you if a random friend, who you may or may not be close to, asked if you want any free PR work done?
2) an would you feel obligated to say yes?
3) how would I even add this into my resume? It's not exactly hired by anyone so it's not volunteer or work experience, but it is experience.
I work along side my girlfriend as a second shooter for her photography business.
1) Her biggest regret is offering free services for her friends. They all expect free photos now, despite her charging other clients upwards of $2,000. They don't even tip her for her time.
2) She did feel obligated to say yes, however, now she charges them. She will give them a discount, but not a steep one, and never free.
3) This may be obvious, but is it relevant to the position you're applying to?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Offering my services for free - how to put it on a resume? - March 11th 2015, 01:40 PM

Thanks for answering, both of you.
Michael - to answer your third question, yes it is relevant to the jobs I apply to because it would demonstrate that I have experience in the field that people have used besides lame school projects. It's really hard to get relevant work experience when no one will hire you, many non-profits that I can volunteer for don't even need a PR/marketing volunteer, they only need people on events and that usually involves standing at a booth all day twiddling your thumbs, so that's not exactly helpful if I am trying to build my portfolio and "real life" experience.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#5 (permalink)) Old
LaCorrsa Offline
HP
Not a n00b

Name: Josh

Re: Offering my services for free - how to put it on a resume? - March 13th 2015, 11:15 PM

you could always advertise yourself, what you do. you could do a marketing brand, logo, ect for yourself and put it out there. thats one way you can start generating a client base "before" you get a job. and once you do you can bring your clients with you.

I cant guarantee that my family would use your stuff but, if you want to, show me what you can do and ill show it to my grandfather. we own http://www.johnsonscargosystems.com/ and we are thinking about re-branding.

"A Sapling will bend, but over time, it becomes a mighty oak, with roots stretching far and wide. One tree can father a forest, but it is up to that tree to take root."- Hecate
  Send a message via MSN to LaCorrsa Send a message via Yahoo to LaCorrsa  
Closed Thread