TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Changing Degree - March 9th 2015, 03:31 PM

Hi,

I'm in the second semester of my first year at university. I'm thinking it would be beneficial to change course. I'm doing psychology, but now that I really think about it I don't see what I'm going to do with that degree. I don't want to go into a career of psychology, or further education. The degree I'm doing now doesn't feel as if it's getting me anywhere. I don't feel I'm learning transferable skills, I feel like I'm being taught things that aren't relevant to my goals in life. The reason I initally chose psychology was because I enjoyed it, and now I think of it it would be a lot better to do something that's actually going to give me skills I can use in my future goals. I'd like to work with computers and have an interest in them, and would love to learn stuff like programming, things that'll actually use in the future (hopefully).

I was wondering if you guys had any pointers? I have a meeting with the uni soon regarding this, but I was just wondering if you think I'm doing the wrong thing and should stick to psychology and figure it out later?

Take as long as you need.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Changing Degree - March 9th 2015, 07:57 PM

You can always minor in psychology if it's still an interest to you. Hopefully you'll make a decision soon because those are really different majors and probably have totally different requirements. Hope the meeting goes well and you figure things out.

With computers...there's certificates and training things you can get into. I guess it depends on what specialization you hope to go into. My dad does a few different programming stuff. I don't know the technical details but he went to a program that wasn't really a university. I think it's called vocational training but I'm not entirely sure. Then again, I'm assuming you want to stick to the university you're going to rather than transferring out?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: Changing Degree - March 9th 2015, 11:34 PM

I'm in the UK, so I can't really minor or major, it's more of like a double honors if I was going to do two. If I'm changing course I'll have to start as a new student in September, and I'm not sure how it'll work with finances and stuff- but in the long run, it's probably going to be better for my career, I mean, I want to work with computers in the future. Thanks though! And yeah I'd be staying at my uni I have the requirements I just feel as if I'm a bit late to decide I want to change.

Take as long as you need.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Changing Degree - March 10th 2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin. View Post
Hi,

I'm in the second semester of my first year at university. I'm thinking it would be beneficial to change course. I'm doing psychology, but now that I really think about it I don't see what I'm going to do with that degree. I don't want to go into a career of psychology, or further education. The degree I'm doing now doesn't feel as if it's getting me anywhere. I don't feel I'm learning transferable skills, I feel like I'm being taught things that aren't relevant to my goals in life. The reason I initally chose psychology was because I enjoyed it, and now I think of it it would be a lot better to do something that's actually going to give me skills I can use in my future goals. I'd like to work with computers and have an interest in them, and would love to learn stuff like programming, things that'll actually use in the future (hopefully).

I was wondering if you guys had any pointers? I have a meeting with the uni soon regarding this, but I was just wondering if you think I'm doing the wrong thing and should stick to psychology and figure it out later?
I know a few people in the computer industry. Two close ones are a family friend (who works for Blizzard), and the other is my Uncle (who works for Google). I also think if you talk to people in the field, they will tell you something similar.

1) If you're not programming already, get started now. Don't wait for school, there are a ton of resources online, for free.
2) Start with Python, Ruby on Rails, Java and work to C++. These are the money makers.
3) Don't expect a degree in computer science to get you a job. Computer Science majors largely teach you THEORY with little application. So, you need to learn the application largely on your own.

The market is really tough, and while programming was once really in-demand, and will be, it's still something that will probably experience a lot of outsourcing because it's so easy to do so. Thus, be prepared to move around a lot. And not just within the US/UK, but everywhere.

While many people speak down on places like DeVry, and other Tech schools, my uncle actually speaks positively of their "computer science"-type degree. He says the reason it is good is because they prepare you for a career, but teach you little theory. He says the most ideal situation is to go to DeVry to learn the application, then go to a state school to learn the theory. Then you get the best of both worlds. A few people I've talked to about a Tech School (I don't know of their availability in the UK) displayed some hesitation about them, where others say it's not a bad option, just expensive.

There are also boot camps you can go to that try to teach you application and theory within a couple of months. Check out devbootcamp. My uncle has also said this option isn't bad, IF you have the money (which in the end is probably cheaper than school).

In the end, there are a lot of options, and regardless of what you choose to do, a bachelors in CS will get you further than a bachelors in psychology. My suggestion to you is to get your maths and sciences out of the way. The physics and calculus sequence. Then determine what you want to do from there. Why then? Because once you have those out of the way, you open a lot more majors from your psychology major, which is a soft science. By getting math out of the way you open up engineering, you open up computer science, you open up physics... new doors open for you, and new options.

Until you start learning a language on your own, or take an introductory to python or an equivalent, I wouldn't set in stone a plan to work in computers. The best advice I can give is to keep your options open. Have more then one plan. And keep in mind, CS, while still a great major, isn't all hyped up to what it used to be. Most people end up code monkeys.

The one awesome thing with a CS degree is that it is really broad and applicable almost anywhere. It's applicable to small business, corporations, network companies, google, engineering firms, space firms, you open a ton of doors for yourself. Just keep in mind a lot of what you will be doing will likely be drone work. But, overall, it's probably a move in the right direction.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Changing Degree - March 11th 2015, 12:17 AM

Honestly, when I started in my undergraduate degree in Arts, I wasn't too sure about it, didn't really know what I wanted to do with it - all I really wanted to do in college was pure Psychology, but over here it's very competitive and not always easy to switch just like that.

But I thought I'd figure it out later, and magically got to minor in Psych (which was so difficult to get into that I decided it was too good an opportunity to give up.) So I stuck with it, and majored in Italian studies, and it was a terrible decision. I'm now finally a Psychology student, but it's costing me five times as much as my original degree did, and I really wish I'd just tried to get into it originally.

^^This is just my experience, but based on this I'm going to say: Do what makes you happy. If computers are what you want to do - go and do computers! Don't stick in something you're not too sure about (especially when college is madly expensive in the UK!) Why stick in something that may or may not get better, when you can switch to something you know you'll enjoy?

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

Closed Thread