TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sistrurus Offline
Herpetologist in training
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Josh

super stressed.. - March 14th 2015, 05:24 AM

So i'm super stressed this semester in college... I'm still a Freshman and it's my spring semester. I need a 3.0 GPA to keep my scholarship although I can actually have one semester all 4 years where it drops down to a 2.75 and still keep it. Well this is also my first semester where i've taken two labs and apparently picked a bad two. My current classes are Zoology + Lab (insanely hard, like 50-70% of the class fails it every semester or drops), and Gen Chem I (also pretty had as most of the class (75%) failed the first test (myself included sadly.) I am also taking Principles of economics, Composition II, and Public speaking. I have a D in zoology currently (we've had three tests so far, I got a 54% on the first, 72% on the second, and will find out about the third on monday. which we have one more and then our final, and he drops our lowest test) I also have a 68% in lab. Then in Chemistry the grading rubric is kind of weird ( 85-100 is A, 85-70 is B, 70-60 is C, and 50-60 is D) as of right this second I have a 51% (he hasn't put two of my assignments in but has the points in so it's hurting me some.) We have our second test monday. I also have a 94% in lab which is 25% of our grade and I haven't seen what that actually would make my chem grade as they don't add it in until our final grades are out. I then have a B in Economics, a B in public speaking, and an A in Comp II. I'm really needing to keep my scholarship for sure. I'm hoping I do better on this second Chem test, and did better on my zoology test too. We'll see though. it just all really has me stressed out because I can't afford to lose my scholarship. I've considered dropping chemistry if I don't do better on this second test and hoping I can find a shorter class to take on in hopes I can also still keep my 16 hour minimum (i'm taking 17) and keep my GPA up to keep my scholarship although i'd prefer not to drop it as I'd have to take it again in the future anyway. it's just not as big of a pre rec for some of my classes as zoology is. I'm currently just stressing, and not sure what to do or if there is anything i can do anymore.

<3 ‎"I'll never let you fall, I'll stand up with you forever. i'll be there through it all" <3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: super stressed.. - March 14th 2015, 06:22 PM

I definitely understand being stressed out by school. My second semester of college I actually broke off more than I could chew and ended up having to withdraw from all my classes. Fortunately it doesn't look like you're in that position, and it sounds like in half your classes you have a good grade, which should help your GPA. In my experience it helps to utilize as many resources as possible that your college offers; I know when I was failing that I had failed to do that.

I suggest studying with other students if you aren't already, as studies have actually shown that you learn better when you study with other people, and with your combined knowledge you could really help one another. Be sure you use all the resources possible with your textbooks, including doing extra exercises that may be online for the text book providers website. If you're having trouble, go to your professor's office hours or tutoring hours. They can be a big help in aiding you in understanding material you are having difficulty with. Some professors may even give you a heads up about what's on the test and how to answer some of the questions. In addition, if you aren't already, I would talk to an academic advisor before signing up for future classes. They can help you find ones appropriate to your college level and can help you find the right mix of challenging classes and classes that may be a bit easier.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
Closed Thread