TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Tattoos in the workplace - March 14th 2015, 04:39 PM

I really want a tattoo. I know what I want it to be, where I want it to be, and I would like to get it as soon as I can afford it.

However, I read stuff online suggesting that a lot of people won't hire you if you have tattoos, and that you basically have to hide them from employers. Now, the tattoo I want is literally a reference to a fantasy series, it's super geeky and there is no way anyone could reasonably negatively judge me for having it. It's not like I am tattooing a skull or something else that's dark or potentially unpleasant on my arm or something.

Also, I would be putting it on the inside of my upper arm or on my foot/ankle, so no one would see it unless I were wearing flats and a skirt or if I lifted my arm up and was wearing a short sleeved shirt.

Any ways, I am just finishing school, and obviously I can't afford it right now, but will be able to afford it within maybe 6 months.

I am really worried that getting a tattoo will hurt my employment opportunities because people are condescending and judgemental. I am entering a field where I kind of have to work with the public, even if I am only working with internal publics (e.g. employees) instead of external ones (e.g. clients), so if the issue is that a company doesn't want to hire someone with tattoos who will be working with people it literally means I can't do my job.

I don't feel like I should have to hold back on my right to expression just because other people are ridiculous and judgemental. I understand people's problems with tattoos, but when I am putting it in a spot that can be covered up, if need be, then that should solve the problem right?Right?

Does anyone have experience with tattoos and jobs? Preferably in a setting besides retail and restaurants (Although I am happy to hear all opinions)

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Last edited by Always *; March 14th 2015 at 05:41 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Eli

Re: Tattoos in the workplace - March 14th 2015, 06:28 PM

Many employers are actually becoming more accepting of tattoos. However, if you're working in a professional setting they may be more likely to ask you to cover your tattoo up. If you're really concerned I suggest getting a tattoo in a place that could easily be covered. If it's the ankle you could wear tights or stockings for example, and if it's on your arm you could wear a cardigan or long-sleeved shirt. Be sure to go ahead and cover it up when you go into the interview. I doubt anyone will ask questions.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Tattoos in the workplace - March 14th 2015, 08:46 PM

Personally, I've shyed away from tattoos for the same reason. I think I may get one someday, but not now. There are so many other ways to express my artistic side or personality, and I don't want to waste my money for something that may end up harming my search for a job. At my current age, inexperience, and degree status (being that I will only have a bachelors degree in May in two social science subjects...not very employable) I don't need help to not get hired. It's the same reason that I do not smoke pot (it's also illegal kids, don't do it for that reason)-I want to always be able to come up clean on a drug test and for that to never be a worry of mine. People often say, "Well, I only want to work somewhere that is accepting." That is great in theory, and if you can always find jobs that do that, that's fantastic! But I'm living paycheck to paycheck, in May I will be jobless, and I want to find any job that will hire me. So my tattoos can wait until I have a stable job. All of this is my opinion, I know tatted up folks who do great in the workplace, I just don't risk it.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Tattoos in the workplace - March 14th 2015, 09:50 PM

Is it just me, or is it kind of sad that a lot of people have to be afraid of doing something that isn't even a bad thing just because other people are so judgemental that we have to worry that a non-harmful thing will affect employment opportunities? This isn't even just for tattoos, it could be the same about being openly religious (or not), openly gay, of a racial minority etc.

Agh so frustrating.

I think that sounds like a good idea Traci - waiting until you are stable in your employment.

I've already decided to get a tattoo in a place I can cover up so that's good

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...
I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: Tattoos in the workplace - March 15th 2015, 12:19 AM

Hi,
I work in an office and I have never been discriminated in any way for my tattoos. I can cover each of them if I need to by wearing long sleeved tops or blouses or leggings or trousers but I have never been asked to do so, funnily enough only when I worked in a bar was I asked to cover my tattoos up. If you're thinking of getting one that can easily be covered up then you should be fine. It's good that you're thinking about whether or not to get a tattoo because regardless of employment there's always the chance you may go off your tattoo over time.

I wish you the best of luck.
Paige

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Re: Tattoos in the workplace - March 15th 2015, 02:01 AM

Workplaces not hiring you/having to hide them from your employers is not necessarily true. I mean, I really want a tattoo as well, but I was worried it would cause my fiancé trouble. So, I looked into it and asked him more about the situation.

Turns out, he wouldn't have much trouble getting the tattoo we want...and he's in the Navy. All he'd have to do is sign some annoying paperwork, and ta-da! Half a Paopu fruit on our wrists. We're still waiting until after our Wedding ceremony to get the tattoos, but either way, I think it really just depends on your employers and the circumstances surrounding your situation.

I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Tattoos in the workplace - March 15th 2015, 02:06 AM

It depends on the type of industry and company that you apply to. I would think that at banks and government institutions there would be a larger amount of scrutiny, for example. But are those the types of places you would be happy working at in the first place? Fortunately I've always been in workplaces where tattoos were a completely normal part of life, and plenty of other coworkers had them.

"If limitations exist, it is because we have erased the possibility of potential."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Hiraeth 
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Tattoos in the workplace - March 15th 2015, 03:50 AM

This is true. The problem for me is that I am in a situation where I could work for a hospital, a bank, a government institution, city police or an agency. Even if I work for an agency, I would have clients who might work in conservative/corporate areas sooooo... that's my trouble, is that I just really do not know if I can always be guaranteed a reality in which I know it'll never be a problem

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Stormy Rainbow Offline
Music Lover
Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Tattoos in the workplace - March 15th 2015, 04:09 AM

I see people with tattoos getting jobs all the time.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Tattoos in the workplace - March 15th 2015, 05:31 AM

I had the same fear, but I went for it. I now have a big watercolor elephant tattoo on my left forearm. My mom was pretty worried it would harm careers, but honestly employers are becoming more accepting, and usually if you can cover it up with a long sleeve shirt you're fine. I work with catering and we have to look really presentable, so I just have a long sleeve shirt instead of the 3/4 sleeves the other girls wear and it's fine. It's up to you whether to do it because you want to, or don't because you're afraid. You could wait until you get into your career to get it done.
When I was job searching last summer, I kept it covered at interviews and just asked about their tattoo/piercing policy. They usually don't ask what I have, they just tell me what the policy is and usually they will say if there are options for covering up if it is against policy for them to show.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Flight. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Tattoos in the workplace - March 16th 2015, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiraeth View Post
It depends on the type of industry and company that you apply to. I would think that at banks and government institutions there would be a larger amount of scrutiny, for example.
I was going to say the same thing.

I know a lot of workplaces that are fine with tattoos so long as they're not offensive in any way.

The company I work for asks for any visible tattoos to be covered.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Lesley_J Offline
Wanderer
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lesley Vos

Re: Tattoos in the workplace - March 16th 2015, 11:13 AM

I have 3 tattoos but none of them was a problem when I looked for a job. The secret is, I can hide them under my clothes or under my long hair (one of my tattoos is on my neck) ;-) So, if you want a tattoo - just choose a right place for it, and there will be no problems at all.

Sure, if you decide to make it on your face, or you dream about "sleeves" on your arms, it can be a problem

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: Tattoos in the workplace - March 16th 2015, 01:51 PM

It really depends on the dress code. It is for that reason that my tattoo is in an area that I can easily conceal with long pants or socks (it's not like I'll ever be allowed to wear shorts to work, ever).

Basically, my recommendation is to avoid getting a tattoo anywhere that's visible while you're wearing long sleeves, pants, and close-toed shoes.

However, some industries are totally okay with tattoos, because the environment is creative, relaxed, etc.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Ariel287 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Tattoos in the workplace - March 26th 2015, 08:44 AM

I think it depends on a company your working at and on your position. Some firms require a strict dress code and no tattoos visible on your body.
I work in IT industry right now and there's no dress code at all (that's what I like about my job) and one can have as many tattoos as he wants.
Though if you have to deal with clients and you work not in a creative field (web design for example), than it's better to cover your tattoo if you have one.
So, if you'll be working with people, as you mentioned, make your tattoo on a place that will be easy to cover, like your ankle or your back.

read my reviews on essaywolves.com

Closed Thread