TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Concerned about my new job. - April 7th 2015, 11:27 PM

Hi everyone Im currently looking for work my overall goal is to work for Apple or Samsung or another electronic provider. The thing is i can't find a job that I want at the moment but I still wanted work so I would have some sort of in come.

Summmary of my new job.
My new job is working on the road all over England so I believe. My friend jack works there and he got me the job. It's not a job its more of a self employed thing they ring me and ask if I would like to work and I say yes or no that's it. I feel u comfortable because I will be with random people who are also doing the same thing the age group can be anything mostly older men I would believe. We manage the traffic and stop people from going down roads which they shouldn't if the road being repaired and stuff.

My concerns.
I have whats called an overactive imagination sometimes it's a good thing but in these cases it's not lol. My brain keeps saying to me that I'm going 5 hours down the road to some where I have never even been before and with people who i have never met before. What happens if we die in a van crash ( we are in a van lol) What happens if one of the workers decides to be nasty to me and leaves me in the middle of no where or beats me up or something or attacks me. I spoke to my friend how I was feeling and he said Justin seriously and didn't reply anymore. He thought I was being stupid but thats honestly how I feel I can't get on a train without worrying about it blowing up or something I know your probably thinking whats wrong with this silly person. I honestly get like that if I go out the house I think of a worst case scenario but it's always possible this bad things can happen its possible. I see on the news all the time bad things happening to people it makes you think how dangerous the world we live in really is if you don't keep think one step ahead of it but sometimes it's impossible to do that. Most of the people are probably self employed like me and Jack all I did was walk in to the building give them a few contact details and that was it your part of the team. You have you give your national insurance number and a few emergency contact numbers and address thats mostly it. How do they know the next person joining isn't going to drive off in the van and don't come back or crash it up. It doesn't help that I'm gonna be out of my comfort zone somewhere in England preferably 5 hours from home which makes it worse because i can't just ring mum for a pick up. Do you see my concerns ? I saw a few of the empolyes there when I went to join and fill the contract in they all seemed lovely and friendly I only met a couple though and that was briefly. I do want to work and have an income which will allow me to buy stuff because I have hardly any money as it is and it gets a bit annoying not that I'm desperate for money but it would be nice. Im also very excited about doing this job yet I have all these concerns. My mum said that once I have been once I will probably feel more comfortable she is probably right It's just so worrying going places you have never been before with people you don't know in a van alone. I will have my mobile phone on me in case of an emergency I tend to take my phone everywhere with me anyway. How should I feel about this?

My final comments/very small conclusion.
Do you think it's just a case of me overthinking or am I right? Those scenarios are possible you can't say they won't happen yet you also have to apply logic to it as well. Im post this thread in hope of finding some kind of reassurance and something to make me feel better. I know you guys are only going on what I have said and I feel I have provided a great amount of detail for you to work with.
As the job is self employed Would I have to give a 2 weeks notice before I leave I spoken to my Grandad about this and he said no has it's only contracted self employed work the man even said himself I am not committing myself to the company.
We work nights as well which is very scary what happens if I'm standing alone in the dark by myself or something Jack said I might have to I would imagine they would just leave you standing here in the road at 2 in the morning in the dark surely? Has anyone got any ideas on how to stop my hair from getting wet if it rains? My plan is to wear a water proof jacket we have to wear helmets on the site anyway so one of those and a shower hat underneath as I can not stand getting my hair wet by the rain it sounds ridiculous but as longs as it works it is coming up to summer here now but still it's England its very unpredictable when it comes to weather haha.

Take care guys.
~Justin~

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Concerned about my new job. - April 15th 2015, 10:42 AM

Hey Justin,

Even though you canít find a job that you want right now, I think itís great that you still want a job nonetheless!

New jobs can be scary especially if they require you to travel to places that you havenít been to before and work with other people of different ages. That said, it sounds like a lot of your worries are related to your own safety? In this case, making sure that you are safe will help to lower these fears.

Since you will be working in different places, itís always good to have a working phone with you, so that if you get into any difficulties you can always call for help. Also, itís good to bring some money with you, in case for any reason, you have to make your own way there or back. If it helps, you could also bring a map (or download one on your phone) and collect a few taxi numbers too. But chances are, the van will pick you up anyway. Make sure that when you are in the van, you donít distract the driver and that you wear a seatbelt. The driver should obey all the speed limits, which should lower your worry of crashes. Iím sure that co-workers will not behave like that towards you, but you should find out who to talk to, such as a boss, if you have any concerns about your safety or your co-workers behaviour. Also, it might be good to ask your boss for a safety induction- that is, they talk you through procedures on what to do if something bad did happen, and how to stay safe on the job.

Most jobs like that donít require criminal background checks, as it is deemed there is less of a risk to others as opposed to working in the health, teaching or social care. Chances are, you will be working with people who have worked there for years and have been reliable and trustworthy.

Iím not 100% clued up on self-employed work, so I donít think you would need to give a 2 weeksí notice of leave, but it would nice that you let them know when you are leaving anyway. Perhaps you could ask your boss?

Some road works may be done overnight during times when the road is less busy. You may be required to work when it gets dark, but I donít know about the time. Iím sure that your company will provided fluorescent/high visibility jackets, for your safety anyway. I doubt you would be on your own, but if you had to be, then having some form of communication such as phone would be an alternative. Iím also sure that a jacket and a helmet is more than enough to protect you from the weather.

Hope I helped a bit!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread