TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
JeSuisIngenue Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question My dad is my boss?? - April 10th 2015, 12:19 AM

Long story short, I work for my Dad (optometrist) at his office as a billing insurance.. person, and maintience/janitorial services. I absolutely hate my job but it pays well and I need the money because I pay for all of my own things: car, school, phone, even groceries sometimes. My bank account is suffering And I suppose my grades aren't pretty either, I don't have a lot of time for homework anymore.

He's insisting that I work full time this summer, and I understand that I should be responsible but 10 hours a day? 5 days a week? I'm just really apprehensive...
(I remember the first time he said "full time" and I instantly felt nauseous.)

Is it normal to work 50 hour weeks when you're 17? I just really hope I'm not being lazy but I don't know..

Should I get another job and quit? He's very proud of me and I'm already training to become a Med. technician, the office really needs the help and if I leave I'm afraid it'll ruin everything. I also do the cleaning and there's only two insurance billers including myself.

I'm not sure what to do, I've never had to make this kind of decision.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Edward Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Edward

Re: My dad is my boss?? - April 10th 2015, 03:09 AM

I mentioned this in my previous posts (take a look if you will) and I will mention it again. At some point in your life, you are most likely to land a job that you will HATE. But just because you hate it does not mean you should quit.

Yes, 50 hours a week can sound like a lot. But since you're only 17, you should be focusing on school first. Your grades are important as I'm sure you'd want good ones to get into college, EVEN IF you're not looking to enroll into college right away. Grades are grades - they stay forever, so make sure you keep those up.

If I were you, I'd continue working for your dad part-time OR find another part-time job. Ask your dad if you can work part-time during the summer as well, so that way you have time for other activities. You may hate this job, but it sounds like it would greatly contribute to your future career as a Medical technician, so stick with it. Sometimes the jobs we hate tend to shine the most on our resumes.

Will you be graduating high school this year? If so, stick with your job. After graduation, apply elsewhere since the experience you've gained till then will be invaluable and undoubtedly help you land a better job. No one said it's going to be easy, and this is just one of the walks of life that everyone has to go through.

Good luck to you!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Julie Petersen Offline
Artist
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Julie Petersen

Re: My dad is my boss?? - April 10th 2015, 03:16 PM

10 hours sounds like a lot...

Blog editor and writing consultant
See my profile page here

(#4 (permalink)) Old
JeSuisIngenue Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: My dad is my boss?? - April 12th 2015, 08:20 PM

I think you misunderstood... I'm not planning on going into any medical field. The staff is training be to become a Medical Technician so that I can do that over the summer. (There's no actual health care involved it's just a title.) That's why I'm a little hesitant to quit, because then they would have just wasted all that time. And asking him to work part time is a good idea, I'll see what he says! Thank you for your help!

Closed Thread