TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
strayalicat Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Ali

standerdized tests - April 28th 2015, 03:33 AM

What are your opinions on standardized testing? I personally think the Florida ones got better for writing and English but the math is going to be twice as hard.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: standerdized tests - April 28th 2015, 03:45 AM

Ahh standardized tests.

Not good things at all. We were just talking about these today in class. Now mind you, I am a freshman in college and the class we were talking about this in was related to my major.

She had graded our essays and basically said that a lot of us didn't know how to format properly. Apparently 2/3 of the class didn't indent their paragraphs and didn't know how to properly cite their sources. She considers this a disservice in education.

But my god, boy can I fill in bubble sheets, because that's what's important, right?

Standardized tests are basically useless trivia. There are words in there for the English portion that even college students don't understand. Teachers are forced to teach for the test, but this basically causes them to miss out on teaching the things that are actually important.

They don't take the individual student into account either. They don't take into account the fact that students don't all learn the same way. Some students may have certain disabilities that may make them learn differently or not at the same level. Some students are still learning English. Some students get severe test anxiety. Or, maybe they're sick or have something going on at home. That one set of tests defines the student, and that's not right. It's not fair to say a student isn't proficient in something just because they don't do well on ONE TEST. It doesn't take into account any successes throughout the year.

That being said, if you need help studying for the math portion, feel free to ask us!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: standerdized tests - April 28th 2015, 06:05 AM

I absolutely HATE them and I always have.
These are one test on one day, that's not indicative of anything

Test-taking strategies greatly improve scores, so doing well just means you've learned how to take a test, not that you actually know what you're being tested on

I have a learning disability that causes a HUGE difference between my verbal and performance scores, regardless of how much preparation I do beforehand meaning that they are not an accurate measure of my ability, knowledge, or potential success which is the whole point of taking them.

Teachers teach to the test because there is so much riding on the results; this means that valuable educational opportunities are missed and people advance in education (and life) without learning more important life skill related things (how to balance a checkbook, file taxes etc.)

Not to mention all the pressure they put on kids to do well and everything that relies on the scores (school funding, admission to college) while in reality, doing poorly on the test doesn't necessarily mean that a person won't do well in whatever the test is testing.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Last edited by Kate*; April 28th 2015 at 09:24 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Pein Offline
how the world shall know pain
Not a n00b

Re: standerdized tests - April 28th 2015, 03:36 PM

lets put it this way. I took the ACT back in high school and I honestly drew pictures in the bubble sheets. I drew a 3 and a flower. And I still scored a 23 on it. So the actual usefulness of the standardized to me is pretty invalid.

Closed Thread