TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Networking - May 30th 2015, 06:11 PM

Job hunting sucks, but I am sure I am preaching to the choir.

I am in a position where thankfully my parents can support me, so I'm not as screwed as a lot of other new graduates, but obviously it is not ideal and I desperately needed a job a month ago and there is still no job in sight. I am desperate to get a job and it's been super tough. I can't move because "reasons" (it's just not an option) and a lot of jobs want like 5+ years (I have max 1.5) or aren't in my field or are related BUT in the wrong area (eg. Sales, not outreach/education). It's tough but that's ok, I am working diligently and will be getting a job at a local cafe or something asap to make ends meet.

Ok so what I really want to say is that I keep hearing how like 80% of jobs are fund through networking. My problem is that I don't have a large network outside of one single university where I currently live so I am trying to build my network.

I have a few good ideas. My problem is that I am not interested in dry talks about business practices with very little opportunity for engagement with others. I'd rather go to art gallery events, volunteer, and do things I find fun like joining exercise groups, where I will engage with others.

What does everyone else do to network? Do you have good tips to be successful?

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Networking - June 4th 2015, 11:04 AM

I don’t network, but probably should start doing that.

I think finding websites or social media to do with business can help a lot. Sometimes they advertise on social media about meet-ups and that can be a great way of keeping up to date with things. Perhaps look into other university’s social media sites too as they might offer a one-day lecture or workshop for anyone to attend.

I also think that finding out what’s going on in your area in general can help too. For example, libraries, gyms, museums, galleries and cafes probably have a schedule of events (or advertise events) that you might like or be interested in and tagging along to most things is a way of networking too.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Networking - June 8th 2015, 12:55 PM

To add to the above. Find people in the work you're doing, talk to them. Offer to buy them lunch/coffee/bake them muffins etc if they'll give you a bit of time. A few things you get out of this:

1) Talking to people who may know about job openings
2) Finding out how different people got their jobs
3) Meeting cool people!!

They say a lot of jobs aren't advertised, but I'd take that also with grain of salt. Any decent sized corporation or government body will have rules around what can and can't happen - generally they must advertise (which doesn't always help).

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.

Closed Thread