TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jennaholt Offline
Not a n00b

Exclamation Losing hope - June 13th 2015, 06:03 PM

I'm fucking losing my mind! I'm in the senior year now. I hate going to school. One of the reasons is because I don't have any friend but that's not really a problem. I am so scared I'm gonna fail this year. If I don't get A grade in my subjects, I might as well forget my dream college. And that college is the only one that provides the course I need. I cannot leave town and study elsewhere because I have to take care of my grandma. If I don't get good grades then my life is gone. I'm a very good student though. At least I was. I joined a new school after 10th grade and there it all started. Beginning of this year, I promised myself that I'll do my best and achieve something. But looks like I can't. I'm really scared and losing hope. I don't know what to do! Help!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Losing hope - June 15th 2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennaholt View Post
I'm fucking losing my mind! I'm in the senior year now. I hate going to school. One of the reasons is because I don't have any friend but that's not really a problem. I am so scared I'm gonna fail this year. If I don't get A grade in my subjects, I might as well forget my dream college. And that college is the only one that provides the course I need. I cannot leave town and study elsewhere because I have to take care of my grandma. If I don't get good grades then my life is gone. I'm a very good student though. At least I was. I joined a new school after 10th grade and there it all started. Beginning of this year, I promised myself that I'll do my best and achieve something. But looks like I can't. I'm really scared and losing hope. I don't know what to do! Help!!
Hi Jenna,

I'm really sorry you are feeling this way, let me know if there's anything I can personally do. I know exactly what you are going through. Even though I'm several years older, I have to maintain a 3.6 GPA to retain scholarships to be able to afford school, and not only so, a lot of employers require a 3.5 GPA with my major (Aerospace Engineering). The average GPA for the department is a 2.6 GPA. That's not because people are slackers, it's because that's the level of rigor. So, believe me, I understand. My mentality is also that of a perfectionist. I feel depressed, angry, and stressed if I don't get 100% on my tests. I don't know why, it's just how am I. Anyways, enough about me. I'd like to get more information.

The reason I tell you about myself is so you understand where I am coming from. But I'd like to ask, is there any objective reason you think you're going to fail or not get the GPA you desire? Or is it a fear?

If you have objective proof, you need to formulate a plan to resolve those issues. That is, if you're struggling in math, focus on it. Make an action list of things you will and won't do, but don't overdo it as doing so can be counter-productive. What I suggest doing is making a schedule for each day of the weak. If you get out at 3PM, tell yourself you will study till 7PM every night, no longer. Give yourself about 4 hours to study.

Then, on the weekends, get up early one of the days, and study. Focus on your problem areas first. I take Saturdays as my off day. Come Sunday, however, I wake up at 5am, take a shower, make coffee, and hit the books. I'll study from about 5am-8am. Then I'll take an hour break. Then I'll study 2 more hours and take a break. I'll do this consistently about 2-3hours then take about 45minutes-1hour break. This gives me time to do what I want, and time to relax my brain for a little.

I'll do this until about 5-6pm. Then I stop for the day until bed time. Anything that I was struggling with, I'll review for about 30mintues before bed, even if it's just reading over it. Then first thing in the morning, before anything, I'll review it again. Studies have shown this is effective in retaining information.

Grades, in my opinion, suffer mostly from lack of time management. I believe you can do anything you want, but that your grade will reflect your effort. If something isn't clicking, look up youtube videos, go to forums, ask your teachers, and ask tutors. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Instead of letting this fear you have of failure demotivate you, use it as fuel to succeed. Let that fear drive you, control it, and use it for profit.

Good luck.

Closed Thread