TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Depressed due to unemployment. - June 28th 2015, 11:45 AM

Hi everyone.

I have been looking for a job for 7months now. I did have a job but then they got rid of me after 2 shifts. I feel a bit down because I go on job finding websites and apply for everything I can do even things which are slightly out of my traveling range and still get nothing. It makes me so depressed because there's very little hope you start to think what's the point anymore? I have very little money to live on and buy things with such as clothes etc. I have really poor GCSE results I am trying to make them better but that takes time. I'm considering applying for job seeking allowance but even that isn't as good as having a job the pay isn't exactly great although I am grateful that I would be getting something. Every job I apply for always send me a little email back saying your not good enough in there own nice words. It feels like being punched in the heart to read those emails which say your application was not successful. I have applied for millions of job roles but it gets you down.

What can I do? I feel lost and stuck watching loads of people I know getting paid and doing something with their life depresses me. I don't understand why no one wants me I'm a nice person it's not just about the money it's about the fact that I'm not sitting in bed all day doing nothing and having no communication with the outside world.

Thanks for reading my post.

take care ~Justin~

(#2 (permalink)) Old
coolkid98 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jenny

Re: Depressed due to unemployment. - June 28th 2015, 01:16 PM

Hi there Justin,

That sounds really hard for you, have any of the employers given you feedback on why you didn't get the job? If not, it may be worth contacting them to ask because then you know how to improve on your application to jobs next time.

You mentioned about improving you have poor GCSE results, although you can resit them, you can always complete online courses. There are many websites which offer free courses which could help to show an interest for a particular field or career. For example, if you wanted a job in the business sector then you could do an online course in business studies.

I hope this helps, I'm always here if you want to talk.

I'm here if anyone wants to talk, I'm always here. Feel free to VM or PM me

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Depressed due to unemployment. - June 28th 2015, 11:37 PM

May I ask what kinds of jobs you're looking for, and what specific experience or background you have (if any) that could point you in a particular direction? Do you have any friends who are working somewhere and could help you get hooked up?

"If limitations exist, it is because we have erased the possibility of potential."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Hiraeth 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Depressed due to unemployment. - June 29th 2015, 08:51 AM

Hi thanks for replying to my post.
I don't have any friends and I have no experience I'm mainly trying to apply for customer service roles and stuff.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ral. Offline
'ello.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jack

Re: Depressed due to unemployment. - June 29th 2015, 11:07 AM

Hey Justin,

Sorry to hear that you're struggling to find employment but you're received some really helpful responses from other people!

Have you ever considered an apprenticeship? Lots of employers are looking from apprentices rather than regular workers nowadays as it's cheaper for them with everything that governments provide for taking on an apprentice. Now although working for less isn't exactly the nicest of things, they do offer great experience and also pay for you to inprove your grades which you said you were interested in at college or at an academy.

I honestly really enjoy my apprenticeship even though I'm not paid a lot, it breaks up my day and as given me confidence, experience and a tonne of skills to pass on to continue my career in the future.

I hope this has helped you man, take care.

Jack.

PM/VM Me if you need any sort of help, I welcome ANYONE who wants to talk.

"In case you didn't know, dead people don't bleed. If you can bleed, see it, feel it, then you know you're alive. It's irrefutable, undeniable proof. Sometimes I just need a little reminder.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Depressed due to unemployment. - June 29th 2015, 12:51 PM

Hi Jack I have tried apprenticeships to but they also hard to get I have tried everything.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Depressed due to unemployment. - July 1st 2015, 06:25 PM

Hey, what about volunteering? I know how you may feel about that because I have gotten resistance about volunteering from people before like "why should I work for free?" but it's honestly not like that. Volunteering isn't usually demanding on your time, like a few hours a week, and is only more regular when you want it to be that way. You get experience in an area of interest (e.g. I volunteer at a museum) and you are "getting out there" where you can meet potential employers. I actually got employed one time through one of my volunteer experiences. By volunteering, it also helps that you aren't just sitting around the house feeling sorry for yourself and getting depressed because you're doing something meaningful. There are a ton of advantages to volunteering and it is worth considering (and hopefully following through with).

I totally understand how you feel. I have been out of school for a few months and unable to get a job. It sucks cause all my friends are doing great stuff with their time (jobs, etc.) and I just feel like I am doing nothing worth while. It gets better though cause there has to be something out there. It sucks when I don't feel like I have very much to offer but I think it'll work out.

Like everyone else is suggesting, taking more courses can also help and that kind of thing.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Depressed due to unemployment. - July 1st 2015, 08:12 PM

I second what Andie had said. I started out volunteering and you think it won't get you anywhere but it leads to a lot more possibilities. Volunteering tends to be flexible and there's a learning curve for the most part. You can jump around volunteering for one-time events or short term projects at first and that can kinda build references pretty quickly.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Pein Offline
how the world shall know pain
Average Joe

Re: Depressed due to unemployment. - July 2nd 2015, 02:30 AM

you can always try for the jobs you don't desire too much to do. ie fast food if you haven't tried those yet. Or something that wasn't mentioned maybe try working for yourself. Figure out what your knowledgeable in and start advertising that skill set out to people. It may cost a small amount for some business cards but those are kinda cheap and can pass them out to people you may meet and get connections. And getting connections can lead to jobs aswell.

Closed Thread