TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

It is kind of ironic but I need help with it now - June 28th 2015, 03:43 PM

Hey everyone,

So as some of you know, I'm taking 2 summer courses. I'm nearly finished with them (July 9th is my last day). I will have a group presentation July 6th on Sexual Orientation and Health. Now, some of my presentation will focus on how same sex couples have trouble obtaining health insurance due to same-sex marriage being illegal in those states and therefore the insurance won't cover said person's spouse. But now that same-sex marriage is legal (yay!) I have to change a lot of my information.
I'm wondering how I should do this...should I mention how things have been so far? things don't change overnight, and insurance policies haven't changed yet but I'm not sure how to fit in this new piece of news as that changes the presentation plan quite a bit :P . I know there's still a long way to go, and there's still a lot of struggle. But at the same time, I want to keep my presentation up to date.
I have not spoke to my group members yet
It would be interesting to what they have to say, but chances are they'd be unsure too. Plus this section of the presentation is mostly my area of focus...on insurance and access to healthcare in particular.
How do you think we should include this? What are your thoughts?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: It is kind of ironic but I need help with it now - June 28th 2015, 05:43 PM

Perhaps you can say something along the lines of same-sex marriage has become legal as of June 26th, but there is still a long way to go for equality. Things do not change overnight, and discrimination still exists in areas such as employment (I say employment because a lot of people get insurance through their workplace). Hm, tough though!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: It is kind of ironic but I need help with it now - June 28th 2015, 06:33 PM

I would include something along the lines of what Dez said at either the beginning or the end and then go with what you already have. Or you could go through and change it or add comparisons of what it was like vs. what it will be like (assuming insurance companies change policies).

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: It is kind of ironic but I need help with it now - June 28th 2015, 11:33 PM

Presenting the info about how things have been, is definitely still valuable. Gives people a sense of just how important this ruling is.

in terms of "up to date" info, is there much more you can add besides legalization? This is just the first step, and a lot of things are still in the air, so I wouldn't worry too much about being out of date.

"If limitations exist, it is because we have erased the possibility of potential."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Hiraeth 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: It is kind of ironic but I need help with it now - June 29th 2015, 04:39 AM

Yep. Mention it of course, but keep what you have. I seriously doubt there will have been any insurance policy changes yet, it takes time (although a clever company would have had their legal team get something ready in case).

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
NatureFantasy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: It is kind of ironic but I need help with it now - June 29th 2015, 11:39 AM

You could change the focus somewhat to legal issues between same-sex couples where one of the two couples are transgender, and how the law change affects this. In the past:

"If you live in a state where same-sex couples may not marry, you may have more trouble. If you are in a different-sex couple—for example a transgender man who is married to a non-transgender woman—the validity of your marriage under state law depends on whether the government respects your gender identity. You are generally allowed to marry if you have made every possible effort to document a gender transition, whether that’s changing a birth certificate or taking medical steps in one’s transition. On the other hand, courts in Texas and Kansas have ruled in marriage cases that no amount of surgery, document changes or time spent living in accordance with one’s gender identity is enough to alter a person’s gender in the eyes of the law.

If you get married in a state that permits same-sex couples to marry and you live in a state that does not, and your relationship may be described as same-sex under state law, you may still access at least some federal protections, benefits, rights and responsibilities now that the federal law known as the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) has been struck down (for more, visit www.lambdalegal.org/publications/after-DOMA)."

This is only one of several marriage-related issues transgender people have faced. You can find out more here, where the quote came from,: http://www.lambdalegal.org/know-your...rriage-law-faq or here: http://www.hrc.org/resources/entry/t...legal-planning

Obviously, the advent of same-sex marriages means that its now legal for people who are transgender to marry regardless. However, even though it is legal regardless... one thing that has't changed is that it varies by state whether the transgender person is viewed in the eyes of the law based on the gender they identify with or the sex they were born as. If a transgender man (ftm) marries a non-transgender woman, some states still view this as same-sex marraige. While same-sex marriage is now legal, it is still very hurtful for transgender people to not be legally viewed as the gender they identify with, and to not have their marriage be viewed as different-sex, despite both parties identifying as a different-sex couple.

In terms of transgender people's access to health insurance in general this is a really good resource: http://kff.org/report-section/health...ccess-to-care/

In terms of transgender people's access to healthcare after getting married, however, I am less sure of the details.

You do not necessarily need to change the topic or even the focus of your presentation. Personally, I think that a before and after comparison of the effects of same-sex marriage laws on health insurance would be very interesting, and a lot less work. I am only suggesting this as something to consider maybe at least mentioning.

No matter what you decide, I wish you the best of luck on your presentation. I think you picked a really interesting topic, and I bet your class would enjoy it and learn a lot!!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Re: It is kind of ironic but I need help with it now - June 30th 2015, 11:33 PM

Thank you all of you for informative and thoughtful response. I am going to talk to my group members during our meeting this Thursday. Also, my group and I have included things about transgender people but what you've brought up is interesting and I'll see to adding some things as well.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: It is kind of ironic but I need help with it now - July 1st 2015, 06:24 PM

If I were you, I'd talk about how it currently is/was. The law just changed last week, so a lot of same-sex couples will probably still be trying to catch up from the years of injustice (e.g. not getting health insurance). Then from there you can talk about how, now that it is legal, things are likely to change. You can use a country like Canada that has universal health care and where gay marriage has been legal for 10 to 15 years as an example.

You can probably just shorten the part about that it's like and instead just change the tone and add information about what it will probably be like now. For example, the tone can be more like "this is what things WERE like..." instead of "this is what things ARE like..." get that out, transition to saying "now things are legal, so optimistically things will be better and more fair..." and you can transition once more to say that "things have been like this in Canada for 10+ years and this is what it's like there and similar to how we can expect it here because..."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Re: It is kind of ironic but I need help with it now - July 12th 2015, 05:36 PM

thank you so much all of you :3 I did my presentation and found out I got 100% on it. This thread can be closed. Thanks again everyone <3

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: It is kind of ironic but I need help with it now - July 12th 2015, 06:50 PM

Congratulations on getting 100%! That is fantastic! I'll go ahead and close the thread now

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread