TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Astar Offline
Not a n00b

Question I don't know what to do and it's driving me mad!!!! - July 3rd 2015, 07:12 PM

Sorry if this is very long and i may repeat stuff or not make any sense. I'm confused ok.
So basically for as long as I can remember I've been into performing arts. I've took loads- and I mean loads! Of classes out of school and in the holidays. I've always enjoyed it/ well the acting part. I've struggled with my confidence so I took a while to make friends and cos of this I've quit and joined a lot of different classes to see if it would change. I'm the last four years I've been to at least 5 ones. I always thought that it would get better and that I loved performing and acting and going to classes. I signed up to go to performing arts college next year and I was looking forward to it for ages.
Then the problems start.since I was about 8 I've been interested in special needs In kids (not sure why I was as a child but oh well) I've always wanted to work a with kids with SEN especially autistics. This last week I've got the chance to work with a group of severe autistic children and loved it! I had one of the best weeks ever and now I miss the kids so much. Some of them were badly behaved but none to bad.
Now I'm wondering if I'd rather work with them when I'm older and study childcare next year... But I'm scared with them coz I never saw them at there worst as some have bad meltdowns. I don't know what to do! I love my drama but I'm not sure if it's the right career for me but I don't know if I would be able to work with the ASD children full time or if I'm good enough and both acting or children care. Help please

I can do it and I can get through it. So can you xx

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: I don't know what to do and it's driving me mad!!!! - July 3rd 2015, 09:16 PM

Hey there,

It can be hard making a decision between two things that you are obviously passionate about.

I think it would be helpful to look into both as potential career paths more. Talk to people in both areas and see what they like about their careers, what they dislike, what are good things, challenges etc. Find out what's needed to get into those careers too. Then think about your preferences.

The best thing really is experience. It's great that you've had the chance to work with autistic children, and perhaps doing more may give you a better idea of what it's really like. Could you get feedback from your workplace on your performance? This might be helpful when considering your decision too and if it's possible, you could try to get some feedback on your performance in drama too.

Whatever happens, choose something that makes you happy. It might also be possible to choose one as a career and the other as a voluntary, e.g. you could do drama as hobby or help out autistic children as a volunteer in your spare time.

Take care

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: I don't know what to do and it's driving me mad!!!! - July 3rd 2015, 09:30 PM

A quick Google search may have partially solved your problem. I found that, at least here there are drama and camp programs for children with Autism, maybe they have them where you live also? Maybe talk to the people where you worked with the kids before and see if they exist. If you want to work at all with special needs the training would be invaluable if not required for you to have. Maybe do something where you could work with them at like an after-school type program? I know it can be scary if you aren't used to it, but they are people too, their brains just work differently than yours does. Also, a quick note, not meaning to nit-pick, but the language is very important please try to refer to them as children with autism instead of autistics or autistic children. If you plan to work with any child with special needs, you'll want to pay special attention to that.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Closed Thread