TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Not really getting anywhere. - July 12th 2015, 10:17 PM

Hi everyone i'm really struggling to get a job and it's starting to depress me.

Applying for jobs is all I do I attend interviews yet I still never get any of the job roles. I'm currently on Job seekers allowance but it's barely anything plus they want me to do work experience at the job centre. I'm not trying to sound ungrateful but I want a full time paid job. I'm looking forsomethingo to further my career I have done loads of work experience placements and they never help me I almost got sacked from both of them because it wasn't my type of job.

It's starting to get me depressed what's the point in attending interviews anymore they never get back to me to let me know I have gotten the job or not. They always say "Justin we will ring you by the end of the week to let you know if you have the job to not" 2 weeks has gone and they never ring back. I just feel like I have done everything I can do. Why won't no one employ me that way I don't understand.

This is more of a rant then anything else. What should I do?

Take care ~Justin~

Last edited by bringmethehorizon♥; July 12th 2015 at 10:35 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Not really getting anywhere. - July 13th 2015, 12:20 PM

Hey Justin,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult experience searching and applying for jobs. You've already had loads of great suggestions in your previous thread here.

If it is a requirement for you to do work experience for your Job Seekers Allowance, then it may be for the best, as if you don't comply with the requirements you may have your Job Seekers Allowance taken off you.

It's really good that you are so keen to work, but remember quality over quantity. It can be very tempting to apply for as many jobs as possible without paying much attention to the job roles, description and person specifications. Take your time when you fill in application forms and read everything carefully. Make sure you meet any requirements they may have and if you are unsure about anything, contact them.

It sounds like you want a full-time paid job to further your career. Have you researched your chosen career? Find out how to get onto the career ladder- for example, do you need specific qualifications, experience, or training? Once you've done your research, start planning how to go about meeting the criteria and then applying for jobs in your chosen career pathway. The National Careers Service may be able to help you find opportunities in your area for your chosen career. Don't completely disregard work experience, voluntary work or part time work either (even if unrelated to your chosen career)- it can look good on your CV, as well as help you connect with individuals and businesses that may help further your career.

When it comes to interviews, do your research on the chosen employer before hand as they like to know that you are really interested in working for them, and plan questions in advance in preparation for the 'Any questions?' at the end. It may also help to think about what kind of questions they might ask and how you would answer them. A great strategy for this is linking the qualities that they want (such as organisation, team player etc) with your specific experiences e.g. 'I am a good team player because I worked on a group presentation in college....' This can also be helpful on application forms too. Arrive on time and make sure your appearance is presentable Remember to be polite, smile and make eye contact. They will understand that you may be nervous but try not to let the nerves get the better of you.

If they don't contact you within the specified time, contact them and find out. If you have been rejected, ask if they can provide feedback, so that you know what you can improve on for next time.

Best of luck!

Edit: We also have a handy article on finding and applying for jobs here.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Last edited by Celyn; July 13th 2015 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Grammar!

Closed Thread