TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Unhappy My hair colour - July 29th 2015, 11:12 AM

Ok, that might seem a bit strange at first, but I have that tiny little problem with work right now and that is my hair colour.
Well, currently my hair is green and I always knew, that maybe it would be a problem, but noone ever said anythign about it so I thought it was ok. Then today someone from the HR-department asked me if I could change it because customers might see it. It caught me off guard and hurt a lot.

I don't think it's fair! My hair colour is my choice and it's not like I'm hurting or offending anyone with it. Just because these old fat idiots can't get offer their prejudices and think everyone whose different is lazy and a bad worker and bad example I have to go and change my hair.
I know it may seem strange, but to me that's a really big deal. I spend my whole life doing what I was told and thats one of the things that got me into depression and I finaly got out, finaly started to speak my own mind and do what I think is right and then they go and crush me just because of some stupid prejudices.
And I can't do this. I can't just go back to living in chains. I can't. Not again.
So next year when I finish my studys I will have to leave the job, because I just can't do it.
But if I do that I'm lost. I need work to survive and pay for rent and food and stuff, but I don't know where to find work. In my current occupation defintely not, because my company is already pretty openminded compared to others. So I have to do something compleately new and I don't know what.
I thought I had finaly found my place in life but now I'm thrown out and I don't now where to go from here.
It's not like I have incredibly high expectations. I just want to be able to pay my rent whithout turning into a mindless robot.

Sorry if I'm not making much sense but I'm a mess right now, my head hurts from crying and I'm dissapointed in humanity and life.

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: My hair colour - July 29th 2015, 06:22 PM

Unfortunately that's just how things work in the professional world. I know it's not fair for customers to seemingly control your self expression, but in reality if they come in and see people with green hair, piercings, tattoos, etc. they may decide your company isn't professional enough and will go to a competitor instead. Luckily, we are moving towards greater acceptance for body modifications, but for now you'll likely have to have a natural hair color in your hair. Most jobs will require you to have a professional appearance, so it may be a good idea to discuss this in future job interviews to find out what their policy is.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Re: My hair colour - July 30th 2015, 08:31 PM

Now that I've calmed down, I agree with you.
I will probably go back to black. It looks pretty good on me and fits right in this black and white world.
It was kinda stupid of me to think, that I could live freely in this kind of world.

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: My hair colour - July 31st 2015, 05:00 PM

I think it's part of growing up. I no longer have a bar in my ear because I started on a fire department and it was unsafe to have a piece of metal in my ear and it looked unprofessional. I could probably get away with it in nursing, but I don't. Some nurses try to flirt with having unusual hair color but a lot are told to change it or get out.

If hair color is very important, the alternative is to find a job that lets you have that hair color. It is easier said than done. I know some people who get away with it by working in certain "trendy" spots. I know some people can pull it off in IT but more and more IT professions are regulated.

Closed Thread