TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
C&T Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Anonymous

Question Im a seinor and everyone hates my career aspirations - August 5th 2015, 11:08 AM

Im a seinor in highschool, so you know i get the fun of trying to figure out my life and then apply that to a college. However every degree i want to explore i am looked at as though i might as well not even go to college and give up on life. Seriously its not a great feeling when your teacher says you might as well give up on college if you want to go into history (not to teach). I honestly dont know what i want to study in college and for a future career? I obviously want something im going to enjoy and have interests in, but no one seems to believe in journalism, music performance, or history. (<-- yes thats an odd combination but im weird like that) Even my parents give me a sigh and a disapointed look when i tell them what i want to go into. I dont know anymore and its hard to stay motivated. Help?

If it helps my interests are:
History (generally military but any kind will do)
Music (choir more then band, and i dont want to teach)
Writing
Speaking (public speaking is fun!)
Horticulture (ive considered this for a degree but its so easy to get that i might as well spend my college money else where and if i dont like my choice use it as back up)
Photography (im just exploring this, got a long ways to go before i make a career)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Im a seinor and everyone hates my career aspirations - August 6th 2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&T View Post
Im a seinor in highschool, so you know i get the fun of trying to figure out my life and then apply that to a college. However every degree i want to explore i am looked at as though i might as well not even go to college and give up on life. Seriously its not a great feeling when your teacher says you might as well give up on college if you want to go into history (not to teach). I honestly dont know what i want to study in college and for a future career? I obviously want something im going to enjoy and have interests in, but no one seems to believe in journalism, music performance, or history. (<-- yes thats an odd combination but im weird like that) Even my parents give me a sigh and a disapointed look when i tell them what i want to go into. I dont know anymore and its hard to stay motivated. Help?

If it helps my interests are:
History (generally military but any kind will do)
Music (choir more then band, and i dont want to teach)
Writing
Speaking (public speaking is fun!)
Horticulture (ive considered this for a degree but its so easy to get that i might as well spend my college money else where and if i dont like my choice use it as back up)
Photography (im just exploring this, got a long ways to go before i make a career)
Hey there, first of all, welcome to TeenHelp! I'm Michael. Let me give you a piece of my mind.

I am 27 years old. It took me until I was 25 to really decide what I wanted to do. To some people this may seem like a long time, but I'm really glad I waited. I did go to college prior to those years, but the money was wasted on courses I don't really need. So, before determining whether you want to go to college, REALLY make sure you want to do what you're doing. You need to also make sure that the INVESTMENT in college is WORTH what you want to pursue. Let me explain.

My girlfriend is a photographer. She majored in fine art photography. She has shot for magazines, and owns her own photo business. I second shoot for her from time to time, and I learned about photography through reading books. However, if you ask her if her degree helped her do what she does, she would say no, not an ounce. She thinks her degree was a waste of time and money. She now wants to go back to do something in medical because her degree hasn't helped her get any further into photography than anyone else. The same is true with a lot of the degrees you mentioned.

I'm not bashing your choices by any means, because when I was younger, I was interested in some of those topics, too, and considered majoring in them. But because I waited so long to go to school, I didn't, and I'm glad I didn't. Literally everything you mentioned, doesn't require a degree. And if you're interested in journalism, talk to journalists. Most of them don't have a degree in journalism. They'll have a degree in biology, business, public relations, etc. And they honed their writing skills through those degrees, and now work on publications and reporting.

I think the reason people are warning you is because 1) you seem unsure 2) you don't need a degree to pursue those fields 3) you can learn most of those topics through a book, and get yourself a job without going tens of thousands of dollars in debt. You can do it for free at the library.

In my opinion, they are just warning you and I wouldn't take it as though no one supports you. Rather, they just don't want you to pursue something you may regret.

I am someone who thinks you should follow your heart. But following your heart doesn't mean you have to major in wherever your heart is. Sometimes you have to take a different avenue to get there.

I am majoring in aerospace engineering, it took me a long time to even realize this was a true passion of mine. But let me tell you something. I know a girl who is majoring in engineering alongside me who is a writer. She writes fiction. But, she's majoring in engineering. She just got published as a fiction writer, and that's where her heart is. But, she's still great at engineering, and she's still going to finish her engineering degree despite getting published.

I think the reality is that if you want to do something in those fields, by all means, pursue it. Learn about it through books. Use some of your electives to take courses in those fields. But just because they're you're interest or passion, doesn't mean you wield a two-edged sword and major in it, especially if majoring in it isn't even going to get your foot in the door.

If you want to be a journalist, think about what you want to write about. Not only what you want to write about, but was is there a demand for? If I still wanted to be a journalist, I'd explore economics or finance. This way you end up with a decent degree, and you can still land a job in journalism.

The problem you're having, I think, is that you're viewing the topic in a very linear manner. You think that in order to work in a field, you have to major in it. You don't. Another person I know, there dream is to be a surgeon. They just got into med school. Know what they majored in for their undergrad? Spanish.

You need to look at your goals and evaluate how you want to achieve them. You say you want to major in speaking. Well, think about it this way. If you're an employer, you want someone to give a presentation. Do you want someone with KNOWLEDGE of the field who is capable of speaking, or do you want someone who knows nothing of the field speaking about it for you? That is, an employer won't hire you just because you're good at speaking. They'll hire you because you have knowledge of the field AND because you're good at presentation. It's not a linear solution. Also, I see your from Nebraska. Go to the bureau of labor statistics (bls.gov). Then search something you're interested in say music: http://www.bls.gov/ooh/entertainment...nd-singers.htm Job growth is below average (not only that it's 5% and only 100K jobs, that means only 5,000 job openings in 10 years, it doesn't require a degree, and doesn't pay THAT much). This will be a good way to help you see why they're telling you this. Also, another thing you can do is go to indeed.com search a job you're interested in an look up the job requirements. Journalism: http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=journalism&l=Omaha%2C+NE You'll see most of them will have "or other" listed as a degree, meaning they really don't care what you major in, so long as you have relevant experience. In other words, when you go to college, try to work for the school news paper, try to get local experience working on a local paper, or small indie papers etc.

My point is 1) Discover what you want to do before wasting money on going to school for it, the library is a great resource -- maybe consider taking personality and job placement tests to explore various avenues 2) Once you choose a field you want to be in, talk to people in those fields and see what they did to land jobs there. Don't just cross your fingers and hope a degree in journalism, history, photography etc. will land you a job. 3) Heed the advice of your elders, they typically, from my experience, know more than you do, even if it doesn't seem like they do 4) Follow your heart.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Im a seinor and everyone hates my career aspirations - August 7th 2015, 10:48 AM

Just be careful with what you major in and how much the school costs. I have friends who majored in certain career fields (art, IT, etc) and they are still working in the restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations, hotels that they worked in during or shortly after high school.

If I had graduated with my psych degree, I don't know if I would be making as near as much money as I make with my nursing degree. Then I will be making more money as a nurse practitioner with better hours when I graduate.

My one ex still works at his first job. He probably saved money by not being so sure of what he wants to do.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BLUE123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Athena

Re: Im a seinor and everyone hates my career aspirations - August 7th 2015, 05:46 PM

hey
Just do what you really feel like doing . Even if it turns out to be a mistake , you won't regret it . Journey will be fun .

Good luck

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Im a seinor and everyone hates my career aspirations - August 7th 2015, 06:24 PM

It can be hard to ignore what other people think of us, but it's not impossible. Who cares what anybody thinks of your career choices? In the end it's not them that's going to be looking for a career based off of the courses taken, it's you, therefore it's your choice whatever 'weird' mixture of courses you choose.

When I left school I first went into IT and did a load of administration-based things, then I switched colleges and went into another IT course and went on to learn more about computing, networking, web design and programming. After completing 3 years worth of courses I realised this wasn't for me and that I may have an interest in Photography but my college required a minimum of 3 A-Levels, so I went and took 4. Photography, Psychology, Film Studies an Geography. To many people it may seem like a weird combination but as it turned out, there was actually someone who'd chosen 3 of the 4 exact same courses as me and we ended up being in those 3 classes together. College is a great way of exploring your options. Even if you decide you don't like the course yet you end up finishing it, you come away with a new qualification that can be used in one way or another.

Not everyone knows what they want to do right away in life. No matter what anyone else thinks of your choices, when it boils down to it, you have the choice what you want to do with your life and one of the greatest things of all is proving people wrong. If anything, let that be your encouragement to push yourself to do your very best and to enjoy exploring the variety of options that are available to you.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Im a seinor and everyone hates my career aspirations - August 7th 2015, 09:04 PM

I think it's unwise to intermingle career aspirations and a degree. A degree does not equal a career in that field. Judging by the OPs post, he is using them synonymous. People seem to more or less be warning about the degree choice, not the career itself. Which, to my mind, it's very important to make this distinction.

Journalism is a noble career. But a degree in journalism doesn't make you a journalist. An English degree doesn't make you a writer. A photography degree doesn't make you a photographer. A music degree doesn't make you a musician. A communications degree doesn't make you a professional speaker. And I think this is the warning people are giving you.

I think telling someone to pursue a degree in wherever your heart is, is dangerous. Your potentially telling them to spend 50,000$ on a hobby (unless they get aid). By all means, pursue a career in whatever the hell field you want, but don't confuse getting a degree in that field means you'll end up in that field. Hence why I forewarned you in saying that getting to that career might not be as linear as it seems, and it might not be the path you envisioned. It's more important to gain knowledge about that career, and talk to people in those careers and see what they did to get there.

Ultimately, only you can make the choice. I think all of those fields are awesome careers, but not awesome majors. So, to me, it's very hasty to say, "Do whatever you want, major in what you want, make mistakes." Why make an investment with something as expensive as college to realize it's not going to fulfill your dreams of where you want to be? In my opinion, you need to do more research and narrow down what you want to do before going to college. Then determine the best route to get there. And if it's one of these fields you mentioned, a degree in that field is not, in my opinion, the best route. And this is coming from someone who has a girlfriend who has done photojournalism, and owns a photography business. She only landed into those because of connections. I have another friend who is a journalist. Her degree didn't get her there. Her writing did.

As far as exploring your options in college, this is also a bad idea. The library is cheaper. Going to photography meetings is cheaper. Going to poetry and literature readings is cheaper. Joining a writing club is cheaper. Talking to a journalist is cheaper. Everyone has their own way of getting there. I did not choose the cheaper route, but I wish I had. I'm only speaking from hindsight.

Just please, please, PLEASE be careful. Make a wise choice. A lot of money is at stake. I just want to be honest with you, and not tickle your ears with what you want to hear. I hope it all works out for you, and don't let my responses discourage you, but rather, encourage you to do more research and discover more about yourself and what you want for the future. If you aren't dead set on wanting to do something, don't waste your time in college (other than maybe General Ed., since you'll need these regardless -- this is roughly 2 years of college). Just learn about the topics through the library and others.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

Closed Thread