TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Super anxious about job prospect - August 19th 2015, 08:06 PM

I had a good interview. Please see my last post. I have a good chance of getting the job. The job would be amazing.

But I'm also so so so so freaked out by all the responsibility and pressure that comes with it. I don't know what to do. My anxiety is ramped up so high just thinking about it.

I don't want to talk to anyone I know personally. They'll just tell me that they know I can do it and I should not worry so much. I know they mean well, but I need someone to understand what a significant barrier my anxiety instead of just automatically trying to make me feel better. I feel like I just have to smile and be like "ok, I'm sure you're right" when people say that to me but inside I'm still panicking. I don't think they understand that I would almost rather turn the job down and work at the mall instead of deal with all the pressure I feel.

The thing is that the job would be amazing. I would have so many opportunities and it would be the best possible scenario for someone who just finished school. Plus, guys who interviewed me really liked me so unless someone else really blows them away I have a good chance of getting it. I think I would be a fool to turn it down and I know that, which is why I can't talk to anyone I know because I need someone to bloody well care that my anxiety and my terror of all the pressure and responsibility is a problem. I need these feelings to be accepted as valid instead of being told that I can do it and that I'll be fine. Like what if I am, in face, right, and this job is way to much for me? There are some pretty serious consequences I think. I'm already hoping that one of the other people they interview will be better.

I know I'm a fool for thinking about turning down an opportunity like this. When I can shut off my anxiety I know the job is great and I'm not at war with myself over wanting the job and not wanting the job and yes I know that counselling is a great place for these problems but I can barely pay my bills right now, and because of my super strange financial situation I'm not usually eligible for the free or super cheap counselling programs .

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Super anxious about job prospect - August 27th 2015, 12:27 AM

Hey,

I think it's completely acceptable to both accept the feelings you have as valid and still be able to do it. Anxiety is a really common problem for a lot of people but it can be dealt with and you can figure out how ot cope with it. If you get the job the main thing you'll have to worry about to begin with is that it's a new position with new people and new roles that you haven't done before. It's a lot of pressure and chances are your anxiety will flare up a bit - but people are right when they say you can do it, it might just be a bit harder for you than for them.

I'd advise you having a word with your manager/boss if you get the job and explaining any concerns you have. Usually they're pretty okay giving you a hand with the things you're worried about. Bare in mind that it doesn't make you any less deserving of the job just because you have anxiety that makes it harder to cope with.

Also know that even if you find that the job does start to get too much, you have the option of holiday time to take, and if you have a word with someone about it they might be able to arrange some leave for you to recover, or even just a bit of help when it all gets a bit much.

Your anxiety is a completely valid and real thing for you. Its a hurdle, but it's definitely not a barrier. Don't let it stop you from taking a great opportunity! Give it a go, and if at the end of the day it's not what you want, don't be afraid to try something else.

Good luck!

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

Closed Thread