TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Resumes. - August 27th 2015, 09:39 PM

So, I am trying to update my resume. Fun fun.

But, IT GOES ONTO TWO PAGES.

I've heard this is bad. I've heard that people don't read resumes that are over a page.

But, all of the stuff I've put is relevant! It's either my skills and certifications, or it's my job, or it's all of the volunteering I've done. And the volunteering mostly relates to what I want to do in some way, even if it's just proving that I'm open minded.

How should I format this?

Or, how do I know what to take out? For instance, should I remove a volunteering thing I did my sophomore year of high school? It shows I can work with kids though and while that's not what I am doing by any means, that may come in handy someday, who knows.

Or maybe remove the gardening club I volunteered at? But this again shows I can work with kids. It helped teach them to garden healthy foods for themselves (this is public health!) plus I helped with teaching them to read and write.

Seriously, how do I format this? How do I do this. I can't make the font much smaller.

I also have a category called "Work and volunteer experience." Is this okay?

EDIT: I got it down to a page, but juuust barely. But I am probably doing more volunteering very soon, and potentially getting a campus job, and if that's the case, when I update my resume again it'll go over.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Resumes. - August 27th 2015, 09:47 PM

That's weird I've always been told as long as it's not over two pages it's fine...although we have Curriculum Vitaes (CVs) rather than resumés so I guess formats may differ.

You could try changing the page setup to give you bigger margins and maybe bullet point things instead of writing paragraphs.

Maybe you could format it so some things are in two columns as well, that may save space depending on how you've written it.

Hope this helped, good luck!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Resumes. - August 27th 2015, 09:49 PM

I didn't write paragraphs at all actually. I just get into a lot of clubs and volunteering.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Resumes. - August 28th 2015, 12:31 PM

I think for something to be on your resume it should be both essential and recent. If you've got enough to put on it that you don't need to dip back into things you did in your sophomore year, that may not be a bad thing. And if you've got something you're including because it might be relevant, see if you can show that particular skill in an existing point. For example you mentioned two instances where you were keeping something to show you could work with kids - so you probably don't need both. If you can replace something with a more recent example, do it. Also, you could always consider submitting slightly different resumes depending on the job you're applying for. So if you were applying for something to do with kids, you'd add in as much about that as you could, otherwise you might be safe to leave it out. Besides, you can always bring those sorts of things up in the interview anyway. I'm not an expert on any of this of course, but I hope that helped a bit.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Resumes. - August 28th 2015, 06:14 PM

Yeah Cara, CVs are longer than resumes. In the US, we use both, it depends on what you're applying for.

For me, I have my "base" resume where I have everything on there (it goes a bit over two pages) and when I apply for a job, I cut out the less relevant components for the particular job. When I was applying for my Coldstone job, for example, I didn't include my volunteer experience because, well, they wouldn't care. But when I applied for my recent position doing sexuality research, I included many more components.

For you, I'll give you a few tips. One, cut almost everything high school out of there unless it's crucial and really shows your leadership abilities. At your age, you're at the border of whether high school stuff is still relevant. Next, be careful with spacing and font sizes. Don't be using some size 8 font that is hard to read just to fit a page, but at the same time, a lot of times a simple spacing fix can bring something from 1 1/2 pages down to one. Last, take off any "skills" section or something like that. Show your skills through your accomplishments.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Resumes. - August 29th 2015, 03:53 AM

My dad's resume went to two pages and he got a lot of compliments for it. He was told by a few people it was the best resume. I think that as long as it isn't too much over a page it will be fine.

Also, you might want to cut out things that aren't relevant to the job you are applying for. There's nothing wrong with including your high school work as long as it is relevant.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
BreathingIn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Resumes. - September 5th 2015, 06:49 PM

I wouldn't worry about it being 2 pages. As long as everything is neatly organized and everything is relevant, then any employer will continue reading it. 2 pages is no biggie I think it just shows you have a lot of work experience and achievements and things like that.

Good luck!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Resumes. - September 6th 2015, 11:23 PM

Thank you!

Can I put volunteering done for a class on my resume or no, since it was required for a class? What about school required internships?

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Resumes. - September 6th 2015, 11:29 PM

Two pages is ok for a resume. Once you get a little bit older, it's easy for your resume to carry on a little bit more. For me, a 1 page resume won't even include my relevant experience because I have multiple degrees and 2-3 things for relevant work experience, which goes on to a second pave unless I make the font small (and therefore harder to head for people with bad vision).

A CV can be as long as you want it. In Canada, we only use those for certain fields such as academia or law.

What I do is keep a long resume (2.5 pages at present) and I chop stuff out when I apply to jobs when it doesn't seem relevant. I cut things out that are older than 3-4 years and things that have literally nothing to do with my field and therefore are irrelevant at all times (such as having volunteered to walk dogs at the humane society because my career has nothing to do with animals). I also periodically update my resume and change things to fit my current needs

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread